Download

mrflibble

[FONT=&quot]I am trying to replicate Tavistock South station, it has a roof going right across all three tracks to the up platform.
Cannot find anything on download station to replicate the roof, any ideas anybody?[/FONT]

Could it be this?

It's always helpful to use an image to identify the type, and era, of the asset you are looking for. People are usually more willing and able to help if the item is clearly identified in order to narrow down the search and find something close to the requirement.

Check out this link. Is this what you're after? It's definitely a three track span.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3403352

If it's the right one then the chances are that someone may have an appropriate suggestion. Would you want it in pristine condition, or derelict?

[FONT=&quot]Yes that's the one, Tavistock South on the Launceston to Tavistock Junction Branch. Anything that could be suitably altered as necessary,

Many Thanks,

Ed.[/FONT]

Hopefully helpful..

Hi Ed.

Can't find anything so far, but rather than waste the research here's some stuff I've found which might stimulate a response from someone who's able to suggest something appropriate.

3403352_19bb6141.jpg

DLS has a few similar looking canopies which I’ve shown here, but they're not large enough to span three tracks, the platforms and the larger than average gap between the tracks.

Tavistockcanopy_zpsdf0ee58a.jpg~original

It’s difficult to assess the actual size, but judging the scale against the track gauge I reckon the span has to be around 75 feet between the interior walls. The length looks around three times longer (225 feet maybe) judging its size from the Old Maps site. The 1963-1970 Post WWII Cornwall & Isles of Scilly 1:2,500 scale map shows it, and the surrounding tracks, quite well.

Tavistockoldmap_zpscaa988f0.jpg~original

It looks like a nice bit of history to model. There’s a nice variety of trackwork and buildings, turntable etc. Trainz is a great way of bringing these lost railways back to life again.

Good luck with the project and here’s hoping that someone can come up with the right building for you.

Cheers
Casper
:)

Thanks for your interest Casper,
I have the route all the way from Launceston North to Plymouth Millbay up and running with scenery copied from Ordinance maps and photographs etc. But two stations I cannot replicate too well are Tavistock South and Plymouth Millbay, Both with large station track covering open canopies, will get there in the end. There is one download I have used to copie a similar canopy at Mortenhamstead, if you type in korfuttok (It's a roundhouse) then join up it, in the end passes quite well for the real thing!

Best Regards,

Ed.

Sounds like you got there in the end, but I was gonna say just find something thats "Close enough" and make it fit. You can replace things like "Walls" or "Supports" by place the item inside of another more suitable one, so for isntance the side on the station could have the wall/supports there buried in the station. The side that has the Brick wall, if the wall thats already attached doesn't tickle your fancy, just find a Brick Wall Spline that works and cover over both sides of the attached wall/supports.

I was gonna say that the one on the far right in Mezzo's post looks pretty similar except for the Pink Supports, but if you were to bury those.....

Falcus

~snip~ if you type in korfuttok (It's a roundhouse) then join up it, in the end passes quite well for the real thing! ~snip~
Is korfuttok the correct spelling? I don't get any returns with that title.

Casper

p.s. The name brought back memories of Ronnie Barker's Futtocks End. Most people are probably to young to remember that one!

@Falcus
The one on the right will be too narrow, probably taking two tracks at best I reckon.

@nexusdj
Thanks for the details.

There’s also korfuto <kuid:128184:28250 which appears to be identical, but has no chimney on the roof. It works quite well, but, like the quoted one, being a segment of a roundhouse it is wedge shaped. However, joining an even number of sections, alternately, does straighten it up. I’ve laid four in this shot.

As Falcus says, it will need additional walls added to replicate the original and “cover up” the joins and incorrect texturing.

The ground beneath the canopy does need to be raised to obscure the track built into the asset, but the external part of that track asset has to be left on lower ground to prevent the whole thing rising. Some creative external covering up of the remaining exposed rails shouldn’t be too difficult though.

Although it can take three tracks it’s still not wide enough to accommodate the prototypical track spacing and leaves no room at all for the platforms. Here I’ve added three tracks over the raised ground which illustrates the need for a wider span.

I can see why Ed wants something simpler because this is a messy work-around, although the building itself is very nicely done. Love the rusty ironwork!

Tavistockcanopy2_zps2cd76568.jpg~original

Edit:
I've been trying a bit more experimentation and have succeeded in crashing the game.:( It didn't like me adjusting the newly chosen three pieces of track which are placed on the raised ground hiding the assets' built in track.

It's not a criticism of the asset; it's a great one. But it doesn't seem to like a new track spline being placed close to the asset spline connection point in its original design. Maybe it's because of the difference in level, or is designed to be connected to other pieces of this roundhouse kit before it functions correctly. It has door. Are these designed to open?

Any wide span canopy builders out there please? (Doors and track not required):D

Last edited:
Mezzo, instead of Raising the Ground, just Sink the Canopy. Unless its one of those real PITA "This object does not change Height" Pieces.... And you're friends at Trainzitalia are more likely to make things on request then most of the folk here anymore. I've been asking for ages (Very quietly, very subtly), for Seattle.

(Have to throw a plug for it in):

Falcus

Mezzo, instead of Raising the Ground, just Sink the Canopy. Unless its one of those real PITA "This object does not change Height" Pieces.... ~snip~
It is one of those!:(

~snip~ I've been asking for ages (Very quietly, very subtly), for Seattle.~snip~
What, all of it? That's gonna take some building. No wonder you've had no takers. :D

If this looks like a basis for what you want PM me with an email address I can add an attachment to.
It's a roof I did back in 2007 from the tranship shed mesh. Unfortunately this mesh is long lost, but I should be able to rework it fairly quickly.

Chris.

That's jolly decent of you Chris.

I'll leave Ed to respond because it was his original request. I'm sure he'll be delighted.

Thanks eveyone for your input much appreciated.

While I'm here, has anybody got a track plan for Plymouth Millbay Station, or is it included in a publication?

Regards,

Ed.

Last edited:
Track plan

Just seen your last post.

Plymouth Millbay Station should be fairly easy to find in Old Maps. What era do you need?

Edit: Your lucky day if your looking for the early days. Just found a nice Old Maps 1:500 for 1894. I like this scale because it shows lots of fine detail, including both rails on the track plan!

Here's just a small piece.

Millbaystationmap_zps4069e8e8.jpg~original

Last edited:
Back