Recent merger proposals

pdkoester

DoubleYouPea & Espee fan!
here's one to get everyone up to speed... Canadian Pacific and CSX Corp... ;) http://www.wallstreetotc.com/canadian-pacific-may-enter-merger-deal-with-csx-corp-report/210511/

train.jpg

:hehe:

If you are going to post things like this you should at least put a disclaimer for the horrible writing and the fictional article content.

:hehe:

So the article is about a (possible) merger between CSX (mainly active in the US) and CP (mainly active in Canada), but the picture that comes with the article is of a Ferromex engine (mainly active in Mexico and owned for 26% by UP). Interesting choice.

Going to read the article, maybe it will make sense more after that.

Nice picture though.

So the article is about a (possible) merger between CSX (mainly active in the US) and CP (mainly active in Canada), but the picture that comes with the article is of a Ferromex engine (mainly active in Mexico and owned for 26% by UP). Interesting choice.

Going to read the article, maybe it will make sense more after that.

Nice picture though.
I was actually trying to figure that out myself. I mean if you're going to have a picture to supplement the story, at least get one of either a CP unit or CSX unit... I mean I was like A Ferromex SD70ACe really?!?! I mean you want me to read that and you can't even get a correct picture of the railroads!!!

Whenever merger rumors like this pop up, the first thing I think about would be what the new combined railroad's name and paint scheme would be and how it would've elvolved over time.
Like the SF/SP merger that didn't happen. How would the kodachrome scheme have evolved over the years?
What would a BN/CN merger have been called? Or would BN have been simply absorbed into CN?

At least the image is somewhat related.

But really, come on this is just silly. "the Wall Street Journal reported Sunday, citing people familiar with the matter" well "people" just isn't good enough for me. The premise is completely absurd. The STB would probably write "LMAO" back to such a proposal being unable to compose a better response. "People" are probably voicing Harrison's fantasy material.

But hey, if it happens I'll be the first to come back here and eat my hat.

BTW think about BN in the year 2000 for a little bit...

If that was directed toward me you misunderstand. It was reported in the WSJ and obviously why it is everywhere else. I'm saying they reported it citing "people" and the premise of it actually becoming a reality is absurd so why is it even being considered news?

I don't know how much you read/hear the news, but most of it is garbage anyhow.

If that was directed toward me you misunderstand. It was reported in the WSJ and obviously why it is everywhere else. I'm saying they reported it citing "people" and the premise of it actually becoming a reality is absurd so why is it even being considered news?

I don't know how much you read/hear the news, but most of it is garbage anyhow.
It was a little....sorry. I saw in the article [from what I read] that BOTH railroads said "no comment" so it may just be "wait a minute, no" kind of thought. Fox News is on in my house all the time. :hehe:

I used the picture from the article's webpage. I was hoping some would chime in on it, give some feedback. Then others might add to this over time, if other merger proposals started to come through.

Paul

Fox News is on in my house all the time. :hehe:

You have my deepest, most sincere apologies.... I hope theres a door between you and it that you can use to stop the infection?

Personally, I don't even have cable or Dish T.V...... Why bother? Anything I want to know about I can search the net for.

I used the picture from the article's webpage. I was hoping some would chime in on it, give some feedback. Then others might add to this over time, if other merger proposals started to come through.

Honestly, I'm kind of with NS37 here. I kind of feel like its non-news. So maybe a CN exec and a CSX exec were at the country club and floated the idea for fun or out of boredom, and the caddy sold it to the news network for $50? Who knows. "people" could literally be anybody..... Companies, and more importantly, their Execs, and Board's of Director, are always looking to make a big deal so they can make alot of money....

Falcus

You have my deepest, most sincere apologies.... I hope theres a door between you and it that you can use to stop the infection?
Actually, I like watching the news! My parents watch all the Kelly Factor and Hannity and Bret Baier..etc. They are news heads. :hehe:

Theres "News", and then theres what people "Think is news". News is "Dog gets run over by a car". What people think of that isn't news, its opinion. So when you're talking about who you think should be blamed for it, why you think it was wrong, what could have gone differently, or anything else that involves "Could, Should, or Would", it ceases to be news. My experience with Fox, is that it likes to deal with ALOT of "Coulda shoulda woulda", and less with what actually happened. I actually find the BBC does better reporting on national US Topics then the big US news companies..... But thats something I can get on the Net anyway. Anyway, when you get older if you get into college, I highly suggest having a look at multiple "news sources" to see how they can all portray the same kinds of stories in different ways simply by word choice.... Its a fascinating experience for the uninitiated.

Falcus

Outside the fact that WSJ= News Corp = FoxNews, the merger as reported in the NYT is a dead deal and a good dead one at that. The problem with the mega-mergers like this is they cause awful traffic delays. We saw this when BN merged with the SF, and later on when NS and CSX picked up Conrail.

To be honest, I don't see this working well anyway since CPR also runs into New England parallel to CSX who has the line from Selkirk to Boston while CPR runs the former Delaware and Hudson which terminates at Mechanicville, and connects to its former owner, Guilford Rail Corp now Pan Am Railways. Pan Am currently has relationships with CSX and NS and CPR, so this line would in be a redundant line, and probably would mean Pan Am giving up the old Fitchburg line in favor of doing more business over the CSX/CP since their connection would be up the Worcester Main on up to Ayer, MA where the CSX and PAR exchange traffic anyway. PAR is always looking to rid lines, so let's not given them an excuse! If anything PAR should merge with CPR and be done with it. At least we'd see more than 8 stalled trains a day on the main line now riddled with slow orders and outlawed trains. Their system is in a deplorably sad condition, and is only a shadow of what it once was which they can't even run properly.

John

Yes, and it was reported correctly, over a week ago. Not a surprise, though. I'm not a fan of mergers in general, let alone the idea of CP running the show.

Edit: For the record, I should also point out that I wasn't being facetious about the New York Times being a rag, seeing as I have an immediate relative who was an editor there for over a decade and saw how bad the "journalism" is firsthand. But, the point is, the "rumor" turned out to be true, even if it (thankfully) didn't pan out.

Last edited:
Yes, it was reported correctly if you go by the 'people' who said it. If some 'people' with UP say they are building a railroad to the moon it doesn't make it any more real. Bottom line is as stated before - completely impossible at this point. I didn't think about what CP/CSX lines might be or what their traffic volume would look like because well, it isn't gonna happen.

I personally believe this was a market stunt - and I was even more put off by those who bit hard and ran with it. Neither railroad commented officially on the matter as well. CSX only went as far as to call it a rumor.

Last edited:
Exactly JC. Did you see the stock prices? Shot up right after the purposed "merger". Stupid stunt.

Back