How To Make A Steam Locomotive

That'll be interesting to see in trainz too, inside and out side cylinders, different to a Greasley (can't spell).

Cheers.

What I found fascinating is all the work being done by hand without the computers and safety equipment we use today for everything.

Were USA steam locomotives built almost the same way that UK steam locomotives were built? I'm surprised that the men didn't wear safety equipment especially when working with very hot metal.

No one heard of safety equipment in these days except for steel toe capped boots and maybe gloves.
I worked in a ship building yard in the 50s and it was the same then.

Now you know why it's so difficult to make a steam loco for Trainz.

Cheers,
Bill69

Thanks for posting this. This is awesome!

John

Thank's John,I really find these old videos fascinating,and to reflect your later comment about health and safety,these guys really were masters at what they did and the way they done it.
Must have been backbreaking at times a proper days graft as we would say in the north.

You might also be interested in this.

Daz

Last edited:
I can relate because I did my time on steam locomotives as apprentice and artisan, after first doing about a year in the blacksmith shop.
Discipline and respect was the order of the day, rough tough and honest times never to be forgotten by guys from the steam era.

Back