lego207's Work/Silver Lines

They could be rusting on a side track somewhere, or as backup. When where they made, anyway?

Also, some other locos to use could be:

Virginian EL2-b and El2-c (Ask Pweiser about them)
GG1
B&M Tunnel Motor

Happy Birthday to EF1's! Happy Birthday to EF1's Happy Birthday to Ef1's!-pause-Happy Birthday to you! Are you 1? Are you 2? Are you 3?
Two_very_boring_minutes_later.jpg

Are you 99? Are you 100? -EF1 horn blasts- Ok!

WIP. Accidental two-tone grey one this unit. I kinda like it. Hmmm... lego207, what do you think? *I have since fixed the red fans
37611518ab04f71437fa03a30bc01047.png

Last edited:
1 tone grey looks better, I agree with Meow..

Speaking of skins,

After so much use with an early and not-so-great skin, the SLRR SD40-2 needed to be redone.
So that's what I've done here!

Old: The old SD40-2 served its purpose well, but it really needed some work. It was done sloppily and without the use of any kind of tools to help things look right. You can see in both pictures, there was bits of black that went a little above or below the actual lines, which was not intended.
Here you can see some of that extra bits of black that weren't done correct. I didn't know about that handy box tool in GIMP at the time...
a0530c50d0439ae633a763c7ff3e214c.png

Other side,
41eb34997b55ec6e1f3fb032d957ec7c.png

Another problem with this skin was certain parts of the detail were cut straight off. Not redone in a darker or lighter colour nor added back period.

NEW: This version is better than the old. The black lines are straighter now, no more little random spots on the edges, and looks neater overall. As well, the primary text on the side has been changed. It now says "Silver Lines Railroad", even with the italics! The lenny face on the bottom has been removed, as well.

085dd865706a458db741707b457f0f03.png

8487bcea831816bd0c47010c502b355c.png

I do need to match the new ones ARN with the old ones still.
I might think of only bolding or making the font larger on the primary text on the sides, and I will certainly make the patch on the cab smaller.
A weathered version is up next.

The old SD40-2 will sometimes lurk around, but rarely. The new one is a good upgrade, I think.
Cheers,
SM

I like the old one better, because of the bigger font. Also, how did you make the stripes on the side be the same height on each side?

Also, do I see a SLRR SD70Ace?

Heh, see the problem here is that the only locomotives considered 'done' or at least presentable are all the SD40s, the EF4 and the Ce-11. All other locos/rollingstock aren't done nor presentable. Most of the time when I apply the the light grey paint onto them (specifically the ES44 & F7s) it becomes this horrible dark grey that is a total mess. The SW1500 kinda doesn't work either, it's a bit weird. No matter what I've tried, the skin massively bugs out - this happens. Same goes for the ACe.
As for the GS-4, it is pretty much just the black GS-4 from JR with different numbering and tender lettering. Only thing is, the tender lettering massively screwed up.. so that's a problem. (Old pic, never touched this since then)
7627336d2a134b82b39769aabede9f20.png

I would really like to get all of these locos fully skinned up and working, but Trainz/GIMP doesn't like me it seems.

Cheers,
SM

Hallo lego207,

Just again something to your post in the USA-screen-thread, as its may better placed in here :)

You wrote last week:

Thank you for the compliment!

Yeah, I knew about the MILW stopping the electrified portions of their route. Awful timing, too, because right afterwards an oil crisis. Who knows, if they had maybe not shut off the electrics they could've survived a little longer or still be around today. Or not. Then again, their electrics then were about ready to die anyways, especially the 70-year old boxcabs.
Maybe in this fictional universe the SLRR bought the collapsing MILW instead of Soo and completely rebuilt the inner workings of the Joes... or something. Best realistic solution I got to that

Yes - fictional railroad & fictional landscape hauling coal for this particular route, along with other mixed goods I have yet to work in.

Cheers,
SM

No my idea :)

Nice thought of a fictional story, but what about that:

At the End of the 60s the MILW did not reject the offer from GE to overhaul and modernize the complete electrical facilities including the closure of the not electrified gap between Avery, Id and Othello, Wa for 39 Mill Dollar. In our fictional story the MILW spent the money into such a modernization of the Pacific Extension. Therefore quite a large number of diesels could be sold or used elsewhere at the MILW network and no further new diesels where required to be bought. Just like it has been calculated in the real story, this saved money reduced the effort of 39 Mill Dollar down to about 18 Mill Dollar. In our fictional story the modernization used to be completed just in the middle of the 70s and the MILW could participate from the increasing transcontinental rail traffic after the BN merger but without the difficulties of bad track conditions and the lack of locomotive power to pull the heavy trains over the Rocky Mountains. In addition to this the MILW could keep lower transportation costs than the other competitors in transcontinental freight service even through the years of the oil crisis which eventually pulled the MILW out of its long time economic difficulties. At the beginning of the 80s the MILW and the BN together undertook a program of rationalization. As a main result both of the transcontinental lines between Butte and St. Regis, Mt which used to be mostly single tracks has been turned into one electrified double track line operated by both RRs. At some portions where the lines have run only several meters away of each other, both single tracks remained in place but used as one double track line. Along other segments one ROW has been extended into a double track line while the other has been abandoned. Also MRL has been founded by the two RRs (not just BN) to operate all MILW and BN branch lines in a more effective way. Beside the BN transcontinental traffic which mostly where carried over the former GN line, the other half of the transcontinental freight service in the north west has been pulled by the MILW’s new electrics all the way from Harlowton to the west coast. Sometimes quite a number of cars coming from the south via the UP line have been added to these transcontinental trains at Butte, Mt.

The new generation of electrics first pulled the boxcabs out of service. Some of it has been purchased by the Silver Lines from 1976 to 1978 followed by the Little Joes from 1984 to 1986. All electrics has been modernized in the Silver Line shops and improved for the special requirements of coal train hauling. This included radio multiple unit control which allowed the use of one locomotive at each end of the train making any power switching around the train at the terminus loading and unloading stations obsolete.

To be continued …
… may by you :)

Sometimes phantasy is a cool thing :)
Keep up your good work about the Silver Line.

Your’s TUME

It's gotta be said, that is a fantastic bit of fiction (or 'lore'?) for this. I really like the idea of this quite a bit. Let's roll with it!

Night time!
16497814400_1063c937d8_o.png

16064470414_f4a8455c04_o.png

16500657989_62b0a70e79_o.png

16685806172_519af97347_o.png

Just finished an additional 8-9 baseboards of work a few minutes ago. I don't have the energy to take any shots of them. Built the lake, another huge mountain, and track extensions. Tiring after a while...

But hey, no school for me tomorrow because the Juniors are taking some tests and no other grade level goes in. Hurray. Plenty more time to work on stuff...

Last thing! Just did a site update - changed up a few pictures, added some pictures, blog post (as per usual with an update) and 2 new scenery items: SLRR Locomotive Shed & Repair Shop, and the Northborough Yard Tower. Link to the site in my sig!

Cheers,
SM

Shots of new area now

16680290146_4488978185_o.png

16704921391_455f4ed622_o.png

16083889644_8ff3e15491_o.png

16086274003_5ec1de823b_o.png

I can't get over the fact there is no lag with this amount of trees. Only lag I ever get now is just loading an area for the first time.

Cheers,
SM

If you start having lag, Forest spline largex works really well. How I use it is having an area of just pofig trees, place pofig trees into the spline, and gradually merge them.

one word, stunning!
Thank you!
You must have an $8000 computer then! Mine would explode if i put that on it! :hehe:

Interestingly, this computer did not cost $8k :hehe: I actually have no idea how much it was. All I know is that it was the big birthday present in 2013 for me from my parents. Still goin' strong! Realistically, I don't understand how I haven't murdered this thing with this route. My other big routes lag me out (mostly just SLM) and they have less items. I don't know.
I wonder how this would look & handle in TANE actually. I should really update my OS since that's my current problem with TANE but ehhhh I also kinda don't want to but basically everything requires 10.9 or higher. What do.
Maybe I should export to cdp all of the main things I have, shove them into my external harddrive and make special copies of all other things in there and update. I don't know. One day, one day...

Am I ranting? I'll stop here.

So, some stuff. All appears normal here... except...
16694122816_9cac9f6d96_o.png

Is that some MILW orange behind that SLRR SD40-2?
16100073333_a032922cca_o.png

Yes it is! Thanks to the fantastic ideas from tume & MeowRailroad, I thought of this and am now giving it a shot. Since the SLRR gained a whole ton of SD40-2's, some weren't fully painted, but instead patched - like some UP units. Not done with this yet, of course, but it's a start. That SLRR grey has been removed since the time of shots taken.

16720021575_75c0a6e161_o.png

16100074483_1b1305472c_o.png

16532452058_2b483220b7_o.png

Cheers,
SM

Back