End of Support for Anything below TS12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Progress, ain't it a b_tch!!!

I still drive around in the Ford Model T Tin Lizzy I brought brand new in 1908. Last year I finally upgraded my software on my 286 and migrated from DOS 3.0 to Windows 95. The only version of Trainz I run is 1.3... :hehe:

Now if everybody else had the same attitude as me, the Ford Motor Company would have gone broke over a century ago. Microsoft would have gone bust over two decades ago and Auran/NV3 would have closed their doors over 10+ years ago...

So some people need to get out of their cocoon's and start living in the real world.

I'm also disappointed that support for TS2010 is going after only 4 years, but hey, that's the price of progress... TANE, bring it on!!!

(PS: I still spend 85%+ of my time in TS2010, so I'm going to be affected like everybody else, but hey, you don't hear me bit_hing about it)...

Happy Trainzing.

Cheers, Mac... ;)

Last edited:
The third step, which may or may not occur at the same time as (or before) the second step, is to stop uploads for unsupported versions. This, in part, is so that we can continue to improve the DLS error checking without having to worry about testing it with unsupported build numbers (the more we have to support, the more work we have to perform to make sure it all works correctly, and the more likely it is to have issues).

This is the part that makes absolutely no sense, and seems rather contradictory to the rest of your post. If you're not officially supporting TS2009 and TS2010, you don't NEED to test it.

Moreover, if you allow newer assets to take a divergent creation path, you are GUARANTEEING that you will break those assets, much as upgrading to at spline track-LOD-tree assured that affected assets would not work in pre-TS2009 versions of Trainz.

Lastly, the versioning system i.e. the Trainz-build number, along with stringent error-checking of the DLS upload bot, permits the DLS to maintain separate, functional versions for different builds while still maintaining rigorous error-checking. Which is why this entire issue makes no sense, apart from being intended as purely punitive means of locking out otherwise perfectly-good content.

This is the part that makes absolutely no sense, and seems rather contradictory to the rest of your post. If you're not officially supporting TS2009 and TS2010, you don't NEED to test it.
Nope, but we'll still get heaps of tickets. Particularly from creators complaining that users can't download their newly released content.

We again strike the issue of still having to ensure that the DLS still correctly accepts these assets. This means time, money, and well supporting it! It also means we still have to provide technical support for at least uploading content for these versions, which in turn opens the door for having to support technical support for those versions... Unfortunately, this is generally what ends up happening, so we really do have to take an 'all or nothing' approach.

Moreover, if you allow newer assets to take a divergent creation path, you are GUARANTEEING that you will break those assets, much as upgrading to at spline track-LOD-tree assured that affected assets would not work in pre-TS2009 versions of Trainz.
This is where we strike something. Should we have stuck with chunk-mesh track and the 'mesh reducing track' system forever? As in, never gone beyond TRS2004's track system... Or take the step and actually introduce a system that fixed the issues with those old systems (performance and appearance). Yes, by implementing new features in newer versions, the content won't work in older versions. This has already been the case. A TRS2004 asset using a mesh-table wouldn't work in UTC. An asset using the 'tbumpenv' material will not work in any version pre TS2009 SP1.

This is the price of implementing new features/functionality. It's entirely up to the creator if they want to use them, or if they want to release for a lower version (as to where, that's a different matter).

Lastly, the versioning system i.e. the Trainz-build number, along with stringent error-checking of the DLS upload bot, permits the DLS to maintain separate, functional versions for different builds while still maintaining rigorous error-checking. Which is why this entire issue makes no sense, apart from being intended as purely punitive means of locking out otherwise perfectly-good content.
To a degree. The DLS error checking gets quite complex when you start working with multiple builds/versions. Each time we make a change to the error checking, we need to make sure uploads for the supported versions work. We've had issues previously where issues weren't found, and lower builds were being incorrectly rejected.

Some changes are 'global', some are version specific (either added to, or excluded from, specific versions). Eventually, it becomes too time consuming to maintain this for all versions. This is one of many factors in the end of support.

As I said, I don't expect everyone to agree with it. However, at the same time, we also can't provide this indefinitely.

Regards

Chadd04,

You have expressed the fears that many users have when a supplier announces a "cut-off date" for supporting an existing product. SNIP
I suspect the reasoning that N3V are applying here is that if they continue to accept asset uploads for earlier versions of Trainz then they are morally (and perhaps legally???) obliged to continue technical support for those earlier versions of Trainz. For example, continuing help desk support for Trainz 2009 (is that still continuing??).

Arguments on this thread have generally centred (with a lot of side issues and "wallpapering" thrown in) around fixing the older assets so that they will work "error-free" on the latest Trainz version (TS12) without having to increment their build numbers to 3.5 and above. The whole issue of fixing faulty DLS assets has been an ongoing saga in other threads - and I agree, Auran/N3V could have handled it better but no-one is perfect.

I have taken the view that N3V is a commercial operation and cutting costs and maximising sales, not providing lifetime support for legacy products, should be their main priority - for that I have been labelled a "sheep" which I proudly take to be a complement considering the importance of sheep in my country's history (only the best Merino wool and lamb cutlets of course :)). N3V are doing what every other software company has to do to survive - keep updating and improving their products, often at the expense of dropping support for earlier releases. Yes, there are some users who believe that TS12 is not an improvement over 2010, or 2009, or even over 2006, but that is their opinion and I have a different opinion. Unfortunately, some people have taken this all too personally.

Peter Ware
Apologies if I hit a nerve there, I was perhaps baaaaing to another drummer! The point is I want you all to know how you were had.

I was and am still agitating factually for a return to sensible processing they tossed with TS09. Not every error can be fixed but to label a legacy tag an fault in an asset is beyond bad programming. Just ignore the darn thing. Perhaps I've been asking for additional errors by not auto-committing... but I felt fixing errors was a great way to get a handle on the data model--and the bugs my son experienced back then--well, I figured I had enough learning curves to get on with-so were best avoided... The GRIPE is the parts of the data model most unscripted assets use has been in place since v2.0-- TRS2004-SP0 with all it's many bugs. I could have written twenty translation modules in my sleep in the time interval just past, and that's what galls. These guys sat on their duffs and let YOU ALL wade through a swerve in requirements which was largely unecessary. And wall paper or not... I aim to prove it. // F

Technically, they have all the error testing code at build XX already in CM, all they need do is apply the same code in a different place with a parser that knows which version to check against. So THAT part, is an outright outrageous bit of balderdash... again. Ain't going to get my confidence restored by sophistry Zec! Also, if you lot want to stand hard and fast with a five year life-cycle, it should be from a stable version--the last SP and it's hotfixes--not the beginning of publication. // Frank

Sorry Zec, I missed your post, apparently we we cross-composing!
I like the fact you are checking uploading, and that you acknowledge the moving process. Not really going to buy that there is any complex time involvement though for adding and maintaining a upload vetting bit of code once it's debugged and been online for a time. Last I looked, modern computer systems can branch on a test, and keeping code that vetts for TB v3.3, v2.9, or 3.7 is just keeping the same code employed with a branch to it as a handler. Something like that already happens in CM, altering the build up and down on the same asset gives a different family of errors, so don't go there.

That's really the beauty of the trainz-build code--I admired it greatly since it tagged data and identified how the data would need processed. Having my DB experience from years agone, the simple beauty of it wowed me. Since then, I've concluded you lot don't appreciate it, and are misusing it's potential. Now you've just decided every asset in a clutch has to be treated as being complex. THAT's misuse. You have kinds, you have scripts, each can be tested and vetted against any asset formulated. Granted the DLS upload vetting was imposed far too late, but I suggested a means to resolve that last spring, which in part Jcitron pointed out tonight it looks like you are implementing. You allude to it yourself above with respect to the changes pending in the DLS operations.

I'm certainly not advocating you guarantee a past asset will work correctly in new technology when scripts are involved--and most all trackside assets are certainly that, but to shut the door on a house when you can branch (There's that word again!) on kind and just generate a rejection message that such and such a kind (mocrossing's) MUST be the current tech level is a far more reasonable approach. Trapping a script type with kind and class a similar decision matrix. By all means, reject those hybrids--I had one bite me last week and I no longer like them either!

Does an asset, whether it be a flip tree or a house that sits off on a distant view need fancy techniques like AlphaHints and normal mappings, etc. Absolutely not. You guys are treating everything like it's right on top of the camera view, and the CC (route builder, or asset maker) has insufficient judgement to know when he should improve the asset (by selecting something else, or getting into other methods like baking textures) at HIS need. I get enough nanny-state bull from the government, I'd rather not get it from a company I like in many ways.

Lastly, I still see no effective policy for expediting the DLS cleanup. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're not overwriting malformed content with the same kuid, but are just obsoleting it when someone fixes it, are you not? I THOUROUGHLY understand btw that such is contra-indicated for the oldest assets in the library... for the fix your companies new software requires would break THOSE assets in their milieu. THAT realization was the reason I decided you guys absolutely need to auto-translate as a pre-processing stage.

But that's another problem creating friction with the community, that hopefully TANE will Tame! CM's as configured really suck at that because one has to manually poll THAT asset and by the time you get to where you can drag and drop into the DLH, you loose your sense of what you are doing and where you are... That's a big frustration in day to day data management. Ditto the dance to find a missing dependency even if it's on the DLS.

With a proper pre-processing stage, implementing all those weary repetitive (unecessary) fixes, and each are fairly simple when the parts are all there or not using illegal characters--can and should be, nay MUST BE automated to protect your (hoped for) new customer base from the swerve in input processing after TC3.

You do want to hold and encourage a happy new customer, don't you? (How about us old and tired and vexed current customers too!) Then fix the problem where it can be attacked easily and simply. If the TRS series can make those assets work, and many are simple enough that even I can fix them in a few minutes, then the same processing can be placed in a front end that protects you and us and all those potential new Trainz addicts from that era--and let's them be used.

All that's needed is some software to generate a working replacement config (a work, or intermediate file to further error test as now takes place) and edit the texture.txt paths properly. Given my adventure above, that latter one is high on my wish list! But so are other patchable fixes like bogeys conversions, connecting thumbnails to _art subfolder specimens and such small adjustments. I hope you and your boss realize it's the unremitting never ending need to make these simple fixes which wear out everyone's patience and leaves a bad taste about the product and company as well. And it's all so preventable so in the end, triply tragic!

One's truly broken--missing parts, texture names in meshes with bad codes (Verbotten!) are justly kicked out as faulty, but if I can fix around a 1000 faulty assets in high volume assets ... and only found at the worst 15 that I couldn't--so can input software. Enough wall paper. // Frank

Last edited:
Just Ask Nick, he knows everything.

Actually, the one thing I don't know right now is why you have brought coding issues into a discussion over N3V's business decision.

Well, their banking on the flash to bring in new customers, though how they hold them once they experience a plethora of errors given the already trashed internet reputation they got, is beyond me. [That's per my two twenties something gamer sons... N3V and Trainz has a horrible reputation on various gamer community forums.

As I've said before. N3V have one last chance to redeem themselves with T2. Even before the BETA was out the door, there has been pessimism and conspiracy theories abound. Is it really that hard to wait and see how T2 actually turns out? What if it was actually good? If you don't have faith that it will be, you're free to sit on the sidelines and read initial reviews of the public release. And if T2 turns out to be a fraud, yes all the KS backers and pre-orders will have made a bad investment but that is our problem, not yours.

Personally, I've suspicions the reason they chose the (rather dismal, as these things go) KickStarter path was to keep family/firm money out of the development, so if they experience a sales bump, they possibly could find a buyer and get out. Cheerful thought!

You see now, this is fear mongering. The kind of thing a level-headed, logical and sensible gentleman would not do.

I refer you to Jcitron's We've been had thread and Tony Hilliam's response to John therein. (Linked below) Supposedly, N3V has loads of cash and is rock solid with really good annual performance. That funds a development project sufficiently, using your in-house people wisely, and the servers, Nick.

You might want to check your link again because this one doesn't seem to corroborate.

Just plain wrong! ... We are not rolling in cash and we have our budgets in place to ensure the company can deliver the upcoming products.

What have you been doing for the community Nick? I mean besides being obnoxious and nit-picking others? The Trainz Wiki? The Wikibook? NO? Hmmmmm. I SEE! Wall paper that datum folks...)

Ah, the good old "people who have not created content are not allowed to have an opinion" card. Well played.

If they can't fix their self-proclaimed best selling ever version, I'm not going to pony out money in advance of good reviews. I'm still not running MY ROUTEs in TS12 for starters, so I can wait. Beside's Moody still hasn't apologized for slandering me over the N3V Wiki, nor has he lifted the Ban there. This is what an intro should look like on the N3V Wiki, and I've no intentions of fighting the staff if they want to keep it crappy.

Then don't. Nobody is forcing you to pony out a single penny, neither are they asking for your reviews or word-of-mouth. I respect that you are knowledgeable in the finer parts of Trainz technicalities and the art wiki-writing but again, this discussion is not one of coding or configs. If you have a beef with whatever staff member, do this thread a favor and start your own like LWVRR, please?

Since you want to get personal here Nick, perhaps you should consider that those rants as you call them, are based on a solid year of looking at exactly the reason those errors occur, and trying to get something EFFECTIVE done to have them not occur... in all that old junk any newbie can still download.

See, backwards compatibility! You know, this process of "having errors not occur" is called fixing assets. I could download a really old AC44 and have to deal with solid-color errors, missing textures and whatnot. Or...I could download a modern one in 3.5 standard and not get any errors. The process of "fixing" stuff is really just somebody doing the work that the original creator didn't, whether it is yourself, the DLS cleanup peeps or Chris.

Don't take this the wrong way. This isn't necessarily the original creator's fault because these standards were not clearly defined.

Think of their reaction when they grab a route and 800 assets later 8-10 have faults (that if pre-processed properly, they would never see!). Sorry if you don't see that as a worthy goal, but I figure that's the very key the Company needs to survive.

And somehow the ongoing DLS Cleanup effort doesn't seem to matter at all.
It is a worthy goal, but I think not one that we should achieve by virtue of continuing to ignore these faults like previous versions of Trainz did.

Nope, but we'll still get heaps of tickets. Particularly from creators complaining that users can't download their newly released content.

You're going to get tickets anyway from users that they can't download anything. Content creators make up a small percentage of that userbase. Those who feel that posting something on the DLS entitles them to free download access of same is an even smaller percentage of that small percentage. You do with that handful of people what you would do with everyone else: Post the same canned reply that their version is out of support, that this warning had been given long ago, and that uploading to the DLS is not a guarantee of download access. This does not have to be complicated.

We again strike the issue of still having to ensure that the DLS still correctly accepts these assets. This means time, money, and well supporting it! It also means we still have to provide technical support for at least uploading content for these versions, which in turn opens the door for having to support technical support for those versions... Unfortunately, this is generally what ends up happening, so we really do have to take an 'all or nothing' approach.

Can you give me a case as to where an asset, built to be error-free and to withstand 3.5's more-rigorous error-checking, will suddenly throw an error when backdated to 2.9? Particularly non-scripted assets.

This is where we strike something. Should we have stuck with chunk-mesh track and the 'mesh reducing track' system forever? As in, never gone beyond TRS2004's track system... Or take the step and actually introduce a system that fixed the issues with those old systems (performance and appearance). Yes, by implementing new features in newer versions, the content won't work in older versions. This has already been the case. A TRS2004 asset using a mesh-table wouldn't work in UTC. An asset using the 'tbumpenv' material will not work in any version pre TS2009 SP1.

This is the price of implementing new features/functionality. It's entirely up to the creator if they want to use them, or if they want to release for a lower version (as to where, that's a different matter).

Both can co-exist, and do to this day. They are not mutually-exclusive, and why N3V seems to operate under the mentality that "we can't do this if we have that" really doesn't make sense.

This is something of a red herring since very little has changed between TB 2.9 and 3.5.

To a degree. The DLS error checking gets quite complex when you start working with multiple builds/versions. Each time we make a change to the error checking, we need to make sure uploads for the supported versions work. We've had issues previously where issues weren't found, and lower builds were being incorrectly rejected.

Some changes are 'global', some are version specific (either added to, or excluded from, specific versions). Eventually, it becomes too time consuming to maintain this for all versions. This is one of many factors in the end of support.

As mentioned earlier, I'm interested to know as to what would prove error-free in, say, TB 3.5 that would throw an error in TB 2.9. Historically, content built to the less-stringent, old standard is what was problematic, not the reverse. But, if the problem exists, how widespread is it? Most likely, there is some sort of simple error-handling that can mitigate this.

Ah, the good old "people who have not created content are not allowed to have an opinion" card. Well played.

Well, to some degree, yeah. You're not the one spending hours and hours to make stuff just to give it away for free and then being told to take a hike, just because you did everything you were supposed to and were trying to help as many Trainzers as possible.

It's pretty much the same argument as with H222.

Last edited:
If you mean the proverbial "allergic to bull manure", then yes I share his views sometimes.

The point being there is a reason why newer versions of Trainz have more stringent error checking. These errors are not going to go away magically, you either ignore them (old Trainz) or fix them (new Trainz). I may not have any uploads but that doesn't mean I haven't fixed assets on my own and have a clue as to what kind of work that entails. My words could have been more tactful and I sincerely apologize to Stationmistress and any content creators offended.

If you mean the proverbial "allergic to bull manure", then yes I share his views sometimes.

The point being there is a reason why newer versions of Trainz have more stringent error checking. These errors are not going to go away magically, you either ignore them (old Trainz) or fix them (new Trainz). My words could have been more tactful and I sincerely apologize to Stationmistress and any content creators offended.

Lol. I too have a severe allergy to bull manure, which is the whole reason why I'm speaking against blocking TS2009/TS2010 from being uploaded to the DLS.

I'm well aware of why the stringent error-checking exists. Almost certainly, far more so than you or H222, given my background. But, my background (as well as Frank's, and some others) allows me to have an idea what truly is bull manure and what isn't. And, pretty much the whole excuse for cutting off DLS uploads for TS2009 and TS2010 is 100% pure bull manure, on steroids. The vast majority, if not nearly all, content that passes muster in 3.5 will also pass muster in 2.9, so there is no valid reason why the TB can't be set to 2.9 so compatibility can be maintained with older versions, while still adhering to the supposedly more-rigorous 3.5 error-checking. I'd love for Zec to post some edge cases, though.

To sort of use your own logic against you, as it stands now, you can use all the most error-free content you want. Nobody will stop you. But, until Sept. 1, you don't get to block perfectly good, error-free content because of an unnecessary obsolescence of it.

Last edited:
To sort of use your own logic against you, as it stands now, you can use all the most error-free content you want. Nobody will stop you. But, until Sept. 1, you don't get to block perfectly good, error-free content because of an unnecessary obsolescence of it.

Again; it is a business decision to block old-version uploads, not a technical one. On a technical basis, yes, there is no reason to do so at all. But from a marketing basis, doing so encourages customers using old versions (near to their EOL dates) to upgrade to newer, supported versions. You and I may or may not like it, but this is what it is, and arguing the decision on a technical basis - like Frank is doing - is just misguided.

Last edited:
Ah, so you're acknowledging what I asked about 8 pages ago: That this is a planned, punitive, perhaps even vindictive obsolescence of otherwise technically fine, error-free content.

Good, we're making a lot of progress. I'd still to prefer to hear it from the horse's mouth, but this is a big step.

Thank you.

Financially speaking; it is in N3V's interest that people upgrade to newer versions to generate revenue. This is the same for businesses all over the world. At least they're obsoleting versions that are 4 to 6 years old, and don't put out a "new" version each year with a different number on the box (cough*Dovetail*cough). It seems nobody has yet to objectively answer my question; if everyone continued using their current Trainz versions into the next decade and beyond, where does N3V expect to fund continued development and operating costs? More Kickstarters? FCT sales?

Technically speaking; yes, lots of 09 assets work perfectly fine in 12. Let's say N3V continues to allow this and people continue to upload 2.9 assets. This in turn means that TS09 users have no reason to upgrade and N3V is essentially supporting these customers from 6 years ago (see above). What technology company today is actively supporting 6-year old software? Even Adobe has completely thrown out CS3 (released in 2007) and made it freeware. They didn't even apply this retroactively - TS09 users can continue to use the huge amount of 2.9 stuff already on there. Only newer content will be made to TS12 standards. What's wrong with that?

So, RRSignal, you were probably right all along because this decision doesn't take a genius to figure out. I don't know why you needed me or anybody else to validate it for you but yes, here it is.

Last edited:

The point being there is a reason why newer versions of Trainz have more stringent error checking. These errors are not going to go away magically, you either ignore them (old Trainz) or fix them (new Trainz). I may not have any uploads but that doesn't mean I haven't fixed assets on my own and have a clue as to what kind of work that entails. My words could have been more tactful and I sincerely apologize to Stationmistress and any content creators offended.

Nicky your above tit-for-tat above isn't really worth nit picking back. It just proved you really aren't paying attention--or I'm failing to get the picture across to YOU at least. They are attacking DLS problem at the wrong place. It's that simple. I'm trying to raise the consciousness of that so that others will jump on the band wagon. If I can write the estimated three screenfuls of code to take away 80-90% of the error messages we see in the oldest content so can they. Fully half the message I see or more are legacy keyword stuff like 'region' and 'type' and 'asset-filenames' that were necessary and integral to Trainz 1--TRS2004. Their practices are flawed as those can and should be just treated like 'description', 'license', 'author'; set aside and ignored but for retaining them. Also like comments--which they also discarded and we gave them heck about last July.

Unlike me, they have a handle on a Windows integrated development environment to write the I/O and files alterations parts--relatively simple tasks, but the Windows OS has it's own hooks and calls which I haven't seen up close and personal since around Windows 2000. That I/O code will take around two other screenfuls. THEY already have that in place via CM. Say forty lines to a screen, five screens is around 200 lines of code.

OK, fairly dense code, but even if I'm wildly off with a real count of 3x-4x that, we're still talking less than a thousand lines (Ooops! That's not counting some prep stuff, like setting up read-ins of enumerated words per this list and the matching types, legality now and so forth into an array, but that's straight-forward definitions in an include header file. So that and a few other static parameters will add another 1000 lines.) Back in 89-91 I helped write a DB application, that went over 2,200,000 lines--this is not a large task, especially since it's straight forward. Everything is 'onto'--maps one on one; bogeys, files in any _art subfolder, everything in Trainz is paired keyword and data--which simplifies things a very great deal. Greg Lane was a bloody genius--or someone on his team was!

Further, such reconciliation should never have been stripped out, but for some youthful misjudgements. Further, it should have been put back with alacrity once the 'error storm' of TS09 hit the community--but they spun it as improved fault fixing but the faults were of their processing, the data is PRESENT, or I wouldn't champion the approach--but that same illness of youth (don't worry, you'll grow out of it, alas, at the cost of being older.) and it's stubborn mindset still stonewalls the one solution which will STOP THE BLEEDING--and make the customers happier, not frustrated because everything is a struggle.

IF THAT goal doesn't improve TANE, then nothing will. Let me give a nod and thanks to the guys actively involved with the DLS cleanup. That's a good and thankless task I'm sure, and a round of applause too for the CC's who maintain their stuff up to the standards while we're thanking people.

What I'm talking about here is not going to mean you wasted your time and effort, but only that things which worked fine in the 2003-2009 timespan will cease causing unecessary pain with a proper front end. Many of your efforts on the DLS cleanup are tackling very the things a pre-process stage wouldn't cure; no supercomputer known to mankind can evaluate missing textures and figure out what might go there and then create it. Nor missing attachment points, though CM ought be able to reconcile a count mismatch in some cases like passenger stations and coaches, etcetera... instead they don't even try... just report it as if every user were a Content Creator.

In that sense, the TANE CM ought to have a developer mode and an operator mode--the former to nit pick and warn, the other to aid just getting the danged thing to work. Let the user pick the mode and let us get on with enjoying Trainz... not peering through nine messages, only one of which is relevant--when it's assessed properly, that is.

Now, Nick, I'll grant you that is a bit off the posted topic, and even I can get a bit wordy... but are we really that far apart in what we're wishing for the future? See, I don't complain to hear myself (typing)--but to expose a problem with an accompanying solution. I really don't have time for all this chit chat--but I feel a drive to try and make TANE the best it can be, in my own silly reasoning. Okay? Have a good night/morning/afternoon... whatever! ... All. // Frank

Financially speaking; it is in N3V's interest that people upgrade to newer versions to generate revenue. This is the same for businesses all over the world. At least they're obsoleting versions that are 4 to 6 years old, and don't put out a "new" version each year with a different number on the box (cough*Dovetail*cough). It seems nobody has yet to objectively answer my question; if everyone continued using their current Trainz versions into the next decade and beyond, where does N3V expect to fund continued development and operating costs? More Kickstarters? FCT sales?

Asked and answered -- by having features in the new product that make me want to trade in my wheels for a shiney new sportscar. The thing which flummoxes me most about the N3V era is the failure to progress features in Surveyor, Railyard, and CM--the user interfaces in all of them aren't all that different from Trainz 1.0 (excluding CM, but you knew that and what I meant!). Consider the so-called advanced tools in Surveyor--for UTC, a proper label. For the TRS.... ehhhhh. Not so much. Did the terrain cut and paste grow the ability to adjust heights, take polygonal boundaries and allow fine rotations--all of which I would have coded in the next go!--absolutely not. The same rough elevation controls, the same capture textures or not, the same capture buildings or not... no refinements to what can be a route builders best friend. IGNORED for a decade plus.

Railyard, especially after they chose to make a missing thumbnail an error ought to have been expanded to allow placing most kinds of asset, and capturing that same screenshot. Being able to browse buildings and trees and so forth like one can railcars (and where pray tell is an input line so I can just goto PRR, NS, ATSF, BN, or HESR, etc. there?) would be really nice. I've outlined that elsewhere before. Similarly an capture a screenshot with the same software that renders the little rotating asset in the tools menus... could be adapted to make a jpg --which Trainz software could then insert, without my typo-proned fumbling in the source code files. So Nick, that's the way products succeed--they reinvent themselves endlessly or loose out to better hungrier competition, not by coercion but by prudent improvements in features. // Frank
Technically speaking; yes, lots of 09 assets work perfectly fine in 12.
Newsflash, so do T'04, T'06 and most v1.3 assets. Cut out a big routes kuid table someday and trim it down to a CSL--look at it in CM. A huge bunch of it will be V1.3--2.4. Actually, just do dependencies on your favorite routes. //F
Let's say N3V continues to allow this and people continue to upload 2.9 assets. This in turn means that TS09 users have no reason to upgrade and N3V is essentially supporting these customers from 6 years ago (see above).
Assuming they want a new car, the new car. If the old is good enough, who the hell is N3V to say they must upgrade? Or you? Are they supporting the product? No--so, "sorry sir, please see this FAQ"... oops, THEY don't do well with those do they. So is that the customer's fault, or the company with the stock answers who can just keep a list of what questions arise everyday, day after day for years if need be. I keep a running log of my Trainz activity, surely C/S people can file an email response and put them together in regularly updated FAQs. I was so embarrassed for them last summer when I tapped into a couple I put in a ticket suggesting they need to do some updating. What a company! // F
What technology company today is actively supporting 6-year old software? Even Adobe has completely thrown out CS3 (released in 2007) and made it freeware. They didn't even apply this retroactively - TS09 users can continue to use the huge amount of 2.9 stuff already on there. Only newer content will be made to TS12 standards. What's wrong with that?
Nothing. Give me the source code, and me and John Weylan and PEV, Andi, and a few dozen others will take it and make it squeal. They want copyrights protection, then they ought be made legally to support it through the copyright era. If they want out, publish the source code and make it open source. I'm serious, the one goes with the other in an honorable business. Copyrights are way too long in this modern world. Patents somewhat too short. Just the way it is. // F
So, RRSignal, you were probably right all along because this decision doesn't take a genius to figure out. I don't know why you needed me or anybody else to validate it for you but yes, here it is.
I missed something... time for Trainz! // Frank

I only wanted to mention, look how long it took for Windows XP to be on its last legs this year in April, the 8th. That is a long and amazing run for software.

Paul

I thought this thread was amicably resolved in #154. Thought wrong.
Please, Frank, if you're going to engage in debate at least try to tackle questions with coherent answers (ie. condense your thoughts).

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/209/oVhgLg.png
Summary:

Q: How will N3V fund continued development if everyone stopped buying new versions?
A: By having new features in new product...sports car...Railyard...capture screenshot.

Hate to break it to you but "prudent improvements in features" and that "shiny new sports car" don't come free of charge.

Thanks for your newsflash, but my statement wasn't addressed to you.

The vast majority, if not nearly all, content that passes muster in 3.5 will also pass muster in 2.9, so there is no valid reason why the TB can't be set to 2.9 so compatibility can be maintained with older versions, while still adhering to the supposedly more-rigorous 3.5 error-checking.

Q: Continuing to allow 2.9 uploads means users will continue using TS09 instead of upgrading.
A: New car...please see FAQ...customers' fault...running logs.

I don't even.

Q: What technology company today is still actively supporting 6 year-old software?
A: Give me source code.

jlip8xndbfpbpbc.png

Last edited:
Q: What technology company today is still actively supporting 6 year-old software?

Oh, that's an easy Question,

Square Enix still Supports the PlayStation 2 for Final Fantasy XI which came out in Japan 2002, 2003 for PC, 2006 for Xbox 360, however their funding is totally different to N3V, S.E charges you $12.95 USD per month, and an extra $1 USD for additional characters.

Cheers.

TS12 isn't the only PC version that N3V will be supporting after this September. Both Mac Trainz and Mac Trainz 2 will also be supported.

Well, to some degree, yeah. You're not the one spending hours and hours to make stuff just to give it away for free and then being told to take a hike, just because you did everything you were supposed to and were trying to help as many Trainzers as possible.

It's pretty much the same argument as with H222.

No go ahead, I'm interested :hehe: It's nice to know what conspiracy mongering idiots on the internet really think they know about me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back