TANE = today another new expense.

fran1

adhesion is a must
An upgrade is needed.
At the moment I have an intel core 2 quad extreme QX9650 @3 ghz 12 mb L2 cache, 1333 FSB, which at the mo isn't good enough for TANE.
Toms hardware recommends if upgrading to go up 3 tiers or the improvement may be negligible.
There isn't 3, 2 only. So what cpu in the top tier would you say ?
The i5 3330 @2.3 ghz as recommended is out of the question.
I'm thinking of an i5/i7@3.5 ghz to keep it reasonable price wise (i7 4790/i5 4690k for eg), but can't see it making a leap forward performance wise.

If I recall correctly; that CPU was launched in Q4 '07. There have been four generations of newer i7 Extreme CPUs since then (i7-975 / 965, i7-990X / 980X, i7-3970X / 3960X, and i7-4960X); and the next generation (i7-5960X) should be launched in September according to Wikipedia (which is never wrong ;-) ).

Do you know if your system incompatibility is a temporary issue due to a bug; or if it won't ever be supported?

Curtis

If I recall correctly; that CPU was launched in Q4 '07. There have been four generations of newer i7 Extreme CPUs since then (i7-975 / 965, i7-990X / 980X, i7-3970X / 3960X, and i7-4960X); and the next generation (i7-5960X) should be launched in September according to Wikipedia (which is never wrong ;-) ).

Do you know if your system incompatibility is a temporary issue due to a bug; or if it won't ever be supported?

Curtis

Just a problem that N3V have reproduced and are working on, as I said elsewhere Fran don't write it off yet.

If you can't resist upgrading then I'm using an i7-3770K is @ 3.5GHZ and I've had mine running OC'd at 4GHz for ages, temperatures barely changed. Ok with T:ANE as it stands at present as well. Anything around that or higher would be fine, but honestly I don't think you are going to need it.

I'll wait till 2017, then buy a far better PC than what is on the market this year, and the next year ... By then all the T:ANE complaints, and SP bugz, will be worked out :hehe:

An upgrade is needed.
At the moment I have an intel core 2 quad extreme QX9650 @3 ghz 12 mb L2 cache, 1333 FSB, which at the mo isn't good enough for TANE.
Toms hardware recommends if upgrading to go up 3 tiers or the improvement may be negligible.
I'm thinking of an i5/i7@3.5 ghz to keep it reasonable price wise (i7 4790/i5 4690k for eg), but can't see it making a leap forward performance wise.

I'd hold off and see what the final product will do on your hardware. I don't think its black and white about this CPU is good enough and that one isn't. The betas will probably still have debug code in so won't really give an indication of the final product's performance.

Cheerio John

An upgrade is needed.

First off, if you have an extreme edition CPU, you really should overclock it to give more performance, because that is enough for Trainz, But I believe it's your graphics Card that is limiting you. PM me on guides on overclocking

Just a problem that N3V have reproduced and are working on, as I said elsewhere Fran don't write it off yet.

If you can't resist upgrading then I'm using an i7-3770K is @ 3.5GHZ and I've had mine running OC'd at 4GHz for ages, temperatures barely changed. Ok with T:ANE as it stands at present as well. Anything around that or higher would be fine, but honestly I don't think you are going to need it.

Don't worry Clam, not written off yet. Found out it's a 64 bit cpu which cheered me up.
Just spotted an i7 4790k @ 4 ghz for £223, how tempting is that. Being a tight git I'm resisting so far.
My QX9650 will run at 3.6 ghz, 9 x 400 mhz without a hiccup so i'm loath to part with it.

First off, if you have an extreme edition CPU, you really should overclock it to give more performance, because that is enough for Trainz, But I believe it's your graphics Card that is limiting you. PM me on guides on overclocking

Cheers,
CPU running at 3.6 ghz (core 2 extreme quad, Stock @3 ghz).
GPU, GTX 560 ti OC edition pci-e 2.0. Problem here being the board is pci-e 1.0 thus supposedly holding back the gpu performance wise. On saying that windows experience (however good that is) marks it at 7.8.

Don't worry Clam, not written off yet. Found out it's a 64 bit cpu which cheered me up.
Just spotted an i7 4790k @ 4 ghz for £223, how tempting is that. Being a tight git I'm resisting so far.
My QX9650 will run at 3.6 ghz, 9 x 400 mhz without a hiccup so i'm loath to part with it.

Here's a rough guide to the comparative performance in synthetic benchmarks between the X9650 and the 4770K, the difference is far beyond just clock speed, which is only one of several factors to consider that were less influential in the past, including a more advanced architecture, features and significantly lower power consumption.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core2+Extreme+X9650+@+3.00GHz

Here's a rough guide to the comparative performance in synthetic benchmarks between the X9650 and the 4770K, the difference is far beyond just clock speed, which is only one of several factors to consider that were less influential in the past, including a more advanced architecture, features and significantly lower power consumption.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core2+Extreme+X9650+@+3.00GHz

Thanks for that, ran a test and compared to a i7 3770k @3.5 ghz. The i7 scored 200%+ consistently.

Back