Alienware 14 Questions

gp792

Butner Lines Railroad Co.
Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting an Alienware 14 laptop sometime in the near future, and I wanted to ask some questions. Should it be able to run TS12 and T:ANE well enough for me to enjoy the graphics without stutter? And are the specs acceptable? Is this model a good choice? Just wanted to know, thanks.

Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting an Alienware 14 laptop sometime in the near future, and I wanted to ask some questions. Should it be able to run TS12 and T:ANE well enough for me to enjoy the graphics without stutter? And are the specs acceptable? Is this model a good choice? Just wanted to know, thanks.
Those will run TANE and then some pretty easily. TANE won't be asking too much of those........

Nice machine. The Alienware machines are meant for gaming so the laptop won't melt like the HP Pavillion laptops do.

John

Will an HP Pavillion laptop operate better, melt, or overheat, if Trainz is played in Antarctica, or a 50F room ?

bs4.jpg

Last edited:
I have an I5 in my Dell XPS 8100 desktop, runs trainz insanely awesome. It also has 8 GB of RAM, but since Trainz 12 is only 32 bit, it will only use 4 GB of that. Have you ever seen an alienware laptop or desktop? I've seen a laptop, and they look as awesome as they play. They are built for gaming, so it is likely more reliable for it.

I have an I5 in my Dell XPS 8100 desktop, runs trainz insanely awesome. It also has 8 GB of RAM, but since Trainz 12 is only 32 bit, it will only use 4 GB of that. Have you ever seen an alienware laptop or desktop? I've seen a laptop, and they look as awesome as they play. They are built for gaming, so it is likely more reliable for it.

This is incorrect on many levels. Dell/Alienware like any other PC manufacturer purchase hardware directly from their own respective manufacturers such as Intel or Nvidia, which does not give them some magical 'Built for gaming' status, they use the same hardware and both run on Windows. Sure, gamers may be their intended market, but that doesn't mean that their PC's are any better for the task than the above mentioned Lenovo. If anything you pay more for less in terms of specification and gain a few LED's and gimmicks in comparison.

This is incorrect on many levels. Dell/Alienware like any other PC manufacturer purchase hardware directly from their own respective manufacturers such as Intel or Nvidia, which does not give them some magical 'Built for gaming' status, they use the same hardware and both run on Windows. Sure, gamers may be their intended market, but that doesn't mean that their PC's are any better for the task than the above mentioned Lenovo. If anything you pay more for less in terms of specification and gain a few LED's and gimmicks in comparison.

It's not just the components that come into play with machines. The case and ventilation are very important with machines that will put out a lot of heat when they are put under the stress of high CPU and graphics usage. Gaming and CAD-level portables are meant for this as they have the ventilation designed into their casework in order to maximize airflow. I know because I own an older (4 year old) Alienware M17x. It's an I-7 based machine with 8GB of RAM and comes with an ATI 5970 discrete video card. The case is aluminum and has vents all over, both back and front as well as the bottom with multiple fans to pull the air in and heat out. It still runs TS12 quite well, although the disk space is quite small, sadly. It was a large disk back then, but you know how hard disk space goes over time...Anyhow, the biggest trade off for heat dissipation and an aluminum case is weight. The machine is a beast and weighs close to 15lbs.

The other consideration too, outside of heat, is discrete video circuits. With machines, such as the Alienware models, the video card is not strapped by system memory. Like a desktop machine, these have a separate video card which can be replaced should this one give out. They are merely plug-in modules that go into a small socket located on the bottom of the machine. This too has its own fan to allow for proper cooling.

The Dell XPS 8100 is similar to the Alienware M17-series and shares much of the same components. Remember to keep the air vents clean otherwise it will cook and degrade the components.

John

It's not just the components that come into play with machines. The case and ventilation are very important with machines that will put out a lot of heat when they are put under the stress of high CPU and graphics usage. Gaming and CAD-level portables are meant for this as they have the ventilation designed into their casework in order to maximize airflow. I know because I own an older (4 year old) Alienware M17x. It's an I-7 based machine with 8GB of RAM and comes with an ATI 5970 discrete video card. The case is aluminum and has vents all over, both back and front as well as the bottom with multiple fans to pull the air in and heat out. It still runs TS12 quite well, although the disk space is quite small, sadly. It was a large disk back then, but you know how hard disk space goes over time...Anyhow, the biggest trade off for heat dissipation and an aluminum case is weight. The machine is a beast and weighs close to 15lbs.

The other consideration too, outside of heat, is discrete video circuits. With machines, such as the Alienware models, the video card is not strapped by system memory. Like a desktop machine, these have a separate video card which can be replaced should this one give out. They are merely plug-in modules that go into a small socket located on the bottom of the machine. This too has its own fan to allow for proper cooling.

The Dell XPS 8100 is similar to the Alienware M17-series and shares much of the same components. Remember to keep the air vents clean otherwise it will cook and degrade the components.

John

Yes , I'm well aware of all these various factors that are involved in notebook design, my fault is that I often forget points in my posts... I was simply making an argument against a comment that I feel provided miss information as it simply suggested that X notebook is built for a gaming demographic and is therefore better than notebook Y even though notebook Y has better specifications at a lower price point, whilst retaining a similar if not better build quality and cooling system.

Jack

Back