New Website Project - trainztutorials.com

shaneturner12

Tutorial Creator
Moderators - if this is in the wrong place, please put it in the right place

Hi Trainzers,

I'd like to introduce you all to my upcoming new website project, which will be on my new domain at trainztutorials.com (which I've managed to get for free as part of my hosting plan). I'm also open to ideas of what to call the site as well.

My intention is to make it a one-stop site for Trainz tutorials, whether they are hosted on the site itself or linked to from the site.

Please be aware though that the site is still under construction, but I'm intending to get it up and working within the next couple of days. My standard website and forum (Shane's Trainz Information and Tutorial Site - http://trainz.shaneturner.co.uk) will not be affected by this new project and will function as normal.

If anyone would like me to host or link to their tutorials on the new site, please get in touch with me via email (shaneturner12 (at) gmail (dot) com with details of your tutorial and whether you want it hosted on the site (I'm happy to work with the tutorial submitter on how they want it presented whether it's a PDF, Word, or a website page) or linked to (I will need the direct web address of the site concerned).

As it's currently under construction, things are subject to change. Please do not link to the site yet though, as there is no index page active on the site yet (although the domain is registered and active).

Shane

Thankyou Ishie. I'm hoping to get some support from the community to help make the site meet its expectations (I'm planning to link to my existing tutorials from there as well).

If anyone else has constructive comments, ideas etc, they are welcome, as it's a chance for the community to work together (with me as well) to promote their tutorials under one easy to remember domain name. I'm not restricting it to any particular tutorial type either, so within reason I can accommodate any tutorial types, even video tutorials (although I may have to link to these depending on how my content management system works).

Shane

Sounds good. I will have a look at it and we can work out the best way of presenting it (I'm perfectly happy though to link to your site though if you want me to).

Shane

Looks good to me so far. I will be properly processing it tomorrow when I sort out the construction side of the site.

Shane

Hi Shane,

I appreciate reading all the helpful information you have provided in the forums. Could you please add a TIPS to your site?

For example. when driving a session I go into map view, but wonder which direction is which. Recently, I used keypress 4 in a session and zoomed in and noticed the compass-rose at the base of the pointer for moving around. All this time and I never knew it was there. So now I can determine North, rotate that screen in the session and then go into map view to intelligently scroll around the map.

Also, I like developing sessions with a lot of driver commands. With 50 or 60 commands, it can take awhile to repeatedly click on that left or right arrow of the driver command bar to scroll through commands one-at-a-time and adjust the driver's instructions. However, I discovered that if I click just to the left of the bottom of the driver-command-bar-Right-Arrow box, the commands will rapidly scroll by, which saves a lot of time.

Now if I can figure out how to find an asset in Surveyor. I enjoy working with the routes that the people in the community have generously contributed, but when looking at the dependencies in content manager, I will see an asset and wonder where it is on the route. So I tediously scroll around the route in Surveyor looking for this interesting asset. Sometimes I find it, sometimes I don't. But it's fun.

Bill

Bill - I will look into doing this, but it may not be straight away. However, some of the other tutorials that are being added to the site may cover what you are after.

Shane

They will do, don't worry. I've got some of mine to sort out, as well as the other two links. It will be tomorrow now though before I get chance to upload that information though.

Shane

A further update - I've now added links to the two video-related links above onto the External Tutorials page on the site. Note that the site is still a work-in-progress so any additional tutorials are welcome regardless of whose they are (although I'd like to know which user created them so I can credit them accordingly).

Shane

This is a great initiative, Shane.

It has always been difficult to find tutorials on specific subjects, in an organised way.
I think your existing site is already among the best.

Are you able to link to the TrainzOnline tutorials? They are useful but it would be good to have them alongside other tutorials on similar subjects.

Hope it continues to grow.

This is a great initiative, Shane.

It has always been difficult to find tutorials on specific subjects, in an organised way.
I think your existing site is already among the best.

Are you able to link to the TrainzOnline tutorials? They are useful but it would be good to have them alongside other tutorials on similar subjects.

Hope it continues to grow.

Thankyou for your comments Ringarooma (Richard). I do plan to add links to the TrainzOnline tutorials, and am also interested in any other tutorials that other users may have that they want me to either host or link to.

Shane

Back