Narrow gauge screenshots

More on the Ffestiniog.................

Merrdin Emrys crossing "The Cob"
26.jpg

Merrdin Emrys gets a run at the grade near Minffordd heading towards Penrhyn.
27.jpg

cheers, Daniel

think i may have posted this but here

riogrande2uc1.png
and here to
oldph8.jpg
and i know it is sad but true a rotting rio grande hopper is found in the weeds

just out of interest why were most DRG, ad DRG&W locomotives outside framed, valved thingys... i like the inside frame ones alot like RGS#20 they "look" better, was there a preformance difference or something?

According to information I found, the main reason for the outside frame was to allow the boiler to be lower and in turn lower the center of gravity on the train so as to force the engine to remain firmly on the track and keep better traction. size of the boiler didn't seem like a priority over good traction and stability on the small track.

If your wondering why certain locomotives were outside instead of inside frame (such as the K-27 or K-36), it was because that by placing the locomotive frame on the outer end of the axles of narrow guage locomotives allows for a lager boiler/firebox to be place on the frame without making the locomotive top heavy. But just like Zapperjet, I myself am no expert so I could be wrong.

thats why they did it, consider the durango and silverton, a top heavy loco couldfall down a cliff pulling all the pasingers with it, a lower center of grav helped that, allso, cuz im bored, on the DRGW K stood for mikado and the number for horse power

Thanks redline:)

Anyway, more of the Ffestiniog:
Blanche and Palmerston pass through Rhiw Goch in between Penrhyn and Minffordd.
28.jpg

The same locos blast up the grade on the huge embankment of Cei Mawr with Rhiw Goch passing loop in the background.
29.jpg

Anyone who knows the area around where these two pics were taken, could you please tell me if they look correct?

cheers, Daniel

They do indeed look good. I know this is nitpicking, but the distance between Rhiw Goch and Cei Mawr is a bit larger than you have modelled :p

i'm not entirely sure on the forest just before Rhiw Goch (first pic), I think it's a few trees nearer the track, there may be forestry a bit further back. I'm not sure that Cei Mawr passes over a river/stream either...never really looked though to be honest. There should be a few more trees at the bottom of the embankment though.

As I say it looks good :) Pretty much as good as we can get with this sims limits! Would you like a model of the new signal box at Rhiw Goch making? If so I'll get round to it in a week or two.

Cheers

Chris

Cheers mate. I would love that signal box, anything to do with the ffestiniog i would love:D.

I found a video on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yT-xqTcNZA
where a loco starts from Rhiw Goch and it takes bout 30 seconds - a minute to get from the loop to Cei Mawr. It takes around the same time in my one, but it probably is shorter because i'm using Widowmakers base and i don't know how long things are.

That is better yes :).

The video clip you gave the link to, it takes 1 minute 9 seconds to reach the start of Cei Mawr, so without the stop, I'd say about 40 seconds, so your version really isnt that far off :).

I'll have a go at the signal box once I have my modern image :rolleyes: stuff sorted

Cheers

Chris

can i ask 3830 where that wonderful 2ft track came from?
id love to use it if you can remember where you got it :D

good work!
cheers
-jeremy

p.s. the 0-4-2 "tattoo" that ive been working on it getting to the skin stage, a few more tests and poly lowering counts and we'll see....

Is anyone at least going to answer my two questions? Hint: A / l / i / s / t / a / i / r is d/r/i/v/e/r, and h/a/n/i/n/g/ o/v/e/r a c/l/i/f/f. TV series is T/T/T/F.

Last edited:
lol. alistair is the driver, there is an engine over the cliff, and the TV show is Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends. I win!

ME!!

It was the one where fearless freddie returned to the railway and the two red ones where going so fast that one flew off the rails!! And can anyone point me to some NG stock **gets lists** a NG tanker car a passenger car and some trains that can pull this :).

No, It's Bulldog.
Description of Episode via Wikipedia:
One morning, Percy is impatient. He wants to go out and show off his new coat of paint, but Thomas warns him off, saying that Duke will not be there to save him should he get into trouble. Toby asks what happened, and so Thomas tells the story...
Falcon had been given a new coat of paint, and the day after, the Manager tells him he is to learn the mountain road, with Duke. Falcon is miffed - having the 'old fusspot' in front will block his view. Duke tells him not to worry about the view, but to look at the track. As they come out of a tunnel, so it happens.
Falcon derails, and is very close to falling off the side of the cliff. Fortunately, Duke reverses hard, and is able to keep Falcon steady, even as he runs low on water - the passengers and crew get more from a cottage on the side of the track. Eventually, Duke hauls Falcon back onto the rails, and they can finish their journey. Falcon thanks Duke, and asks why he'd saved him after all the rude things he'd said. Duke replies, "Well you'd just had a new coat of paint. It'd be a shame if you rolled down the hill and ruined it."

I think I won this one!
~TTT100~

(P.S. BTW, I love TTTE, hence the username!)

Yep TTT100. I love that episode. I will re-create it again with the actual engines from Mstnoodle. (Matt). Hey, just something for your old User title, his full name was Reverend Wilbert Awdry.

I love watching Thomas too.

Last edited:
Back