Narrow gauge screenshots

WOW :udrool: I can't believe this is the same route I have installed in TS12 on my PC. Did you add trees or just replace them? The lighting plays a big part and you certainly have demonstrated your skill with that in previous shots. And you pick great vantage points for your shots. It's for these kinds of shots that you really get to appreciate the long draw distance in TANE. All around, amazing! These are going into my collection for my desktop. It could be a problem at the office 'cause I won't want to open any applications as they would block my view. :hehe:

Thanks for the great shots.

Paul :)

I have not modified the route at all. No additions, no moving stuff, the only thing I've done is tree, bush, and grass replacement with mcguirel's payware and added locomotives and rolling stock. Of course the trees, bushes, and grasses are on a different scale than what was originally there and may make the route look a lot, errr, bushier. One thing I am going to do is replace the large Aspens with a smaller Aspen that is more in scale with the pines.

It really is a lovely run up the river gorge. All the pictures were from a 6:00 AM to 7:30 AM run in late Fall, I'm looking forward to seeing what the gorge looks like once the sun is higher and the haze clears.

This route plus the Timber Ridge Line route plus the Cumbres and Toltec route make a great threesome for running Prowler901's locomotives!

Last edited:
as i'm waiting for the dighole problems to be fixed in TANE in two routes i've been working on , i had a play with Timber Ridge in TANE.
i had so much trouble with tunnel digholes that i deleted two boards and remade them ( including much steeper grades and lots of ledges for trains to creep along) . as i had nothing else to do i and then also remade another section as i wanted steeper grades and more variety in that section. also i am in the process of removing the tree splines and replacing them with jvc rocky mountain vegetation . heres a few screenies of the results
Screen%20Shot%202016-10-18%20at%205.10.16%20pm_zps5aojvhzd.png

Redesigned boards after the arid zone
Screen%20Shot%202016-10-18%20at%205.09.00%20pm_zpsohb18z4r.png

waiting for a passing freight before tackling the climb to the summit

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-16%20at%208.36.15%20am_zpsednpufzg.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-18%20at%205.10.29%20pm_zpsqksjliqv.png

the summit

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-18%20at%205.11.28%20pm_zpslnueyccm.png

new board just after the mine siding

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-18%20at%205.11.49%20pm_zpsz0gxvjrh.png

new board leading to the airport
Screen%20Shot%202016-10-18%20at%205.12.02%20pm_zpsthvffydm.png

another new section
Screen%20Shot%202016-10-16%20at%208.38.45%20am_zpsytkesekq.png

climbing up to the summit on 3 percent grade
Screen%20Shot%202016-10-16%20at%208.37.35%20am_zpsy8zoazdy.png

leaving the arid zone

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-18%20at%205.09.28%20pm_zpsmhxovgm2.png

final section of the redesigned boards,
i guess i'll just keep on until this is all compatible and the dig hole issue is fixed. i only meant to do some minor changes but as usual things have a habit of getting out of hand...:)

Hey all, it's also been a while since I posted some shots of the progressing Mojave & Panamint route I'm working on, so enjoy some arid desert narrow gauge! The first few are of the summit at Slate Range Pass.

arrive_slate_range_pass_by_gunslinger87-dagbd4l.jpg

slate_range_pass_5_by_gunslinger87-dagbczs.jpg

slate_range_pass_4_by_gunslinger87-dagbczw.jpg

slate_range_pass_3_by_gunslinger87-dagbd04.jpg

Next some scenic shots.

easy_as_it_goes_by_gunslinger87-dagks1s.jpg

close_clearance_by_gunslinger87-dagks3t.jpg

And finally a shot at the end terminus of the line, Ballarat, CA looking south.

ballarat_looking_south_by_gunslinger87-dagl8vo.jpg

Hey all, it's also been a while since I posted some shots of the progressing Mojave & Panamint route I'm working on, so enjoy some arid desert narrow gauge! The first few are of the summit at Slate Range Pass.

Next some scenic shots.

And finally a shot at the end terminus of the line, Ballarat, CA looking south.
coming along nicely, its a hell of a lot of work building a route from scratch, how many boards will it take up when completed?

coming along nicely, its a hell of a lot of work building a route from scratch, how many boards will it take up when completed?

To be honest, I have no idea. But it is a HUGE route!! If I had to guess... its probbaly well over one or two thousand. The map was generated for me by Pencil42 by equest. He used TransDEM to make it and it was a giamt square of the region I'm placing the route, which contains both standard and narrow gauge lines. The Mojave & Panamint is just a hair over 37 miles long and is the 3ft gauge line of the route's namesake. Then there is the Trona Railroad, which is under the guise of the Los Angeles & Idependence RR. That section is 31 miles long. The route also includes the interchange at Searles, CA and portions of the SP's "Jawbone Branch" towards both Mojave and Lone Pine. The section heading to Mojave ends a few miles west of Rand, CA and the northern section towards Lone Pine extends about 8 or ten miles north from Searles. These are rough estimates though. And, again, the SG portions are under the guise of the LA&I, which did have plans to reach Independence. Plans were made, but never came to fruition. But in this case they have! In any case, the line was leased to the Central Pacific, but eventually absorbed into the SP system. So both Southern and Central Pacific equipment would be appropriate and look right at home here. I have another thread covering the route as a whole chronicalling its development. Just search for the Mojave & Panamint Railroad. I've included shots of the standard gauge there, as they weren't quite appropriate here.

Thanks Dan, I've worked on these engines so many times that I honestly forget what I needed to do to get them into TS12 and then TS12SP1 and then TANE. Some of the general things I do is run AssetX to fix the textures, convert PMs to Ims using PEVs PM2IM, and correct any syntax errors that might crop up in the config.txt file. I usually do not update to a newer build. I also have a bdaneal folder on my desktop that contains textures that frequently get dropped from the originals such as Waterglass.tga, engine_black.tga, and etc. These are in some locomotives and get dropped from others.

Edit: Wow <kuid:440833:100030> Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad by ljaguilar is pretty darned impressive thanks for pointing the route to me.
just looking at your screenshots in the c &t, i can now see where the rogue assets appeared from on my modified c&t route, one day when i reopened it the route had hundreds of scrub lichens all over it , i could not work out where they came from, looks like i'd deleted them before but now for some reason they returned , at least they look the same in your screenshots .BTW i've downloaded all of shanes excellent PEV tools and will use them to restore some of those engines if i can for TANE.

Got inspired by Steve Lerro's pic of the EBT's Orbisonia station in the screen shot of the week competition. So here's a few from my EBT route of the same area but perhaps a few years earlier in time when the EBT still hauled a few passengers and a lot of coal. Thought I'd lost this TS12 version. Some of the equipment and scenery are getting a bit dated now - 1st created for TRS04 but hey I like it.

Bob Pearson

RPearson_20161101_0013A.jpg

RPearson_20161101_0022A.jpg

RPearson_20161101_0023A.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Blue, encouragement is appreciated and needed. Most of the route is devoid of scenery. The shop and yard area around Rockhill Furnace and the Orbisonia station I've used to test out some scenicing ideas. You'll notice the lack of trees for the most part. They'll be the last items added since my laptops always seem to be on be on the low end of the acceptable range for running Trainz.

The track is mostly all in except for the McKelvey Bros Lumber Co track and PRR main thru Mt.Union. I have a version in TANE with the PRR 4 track main started and the McKelvey rr roughed in. The main is 34 +miles to the connection with the PRR and the Mckelvey logging rr is over 23. IIRC there's roughly another 60 miles of branches and spurs on the EBT but don't quote me on that. The PRR main could go for some distance and I do have 40 miles or so mapped out but won't use anywhere near that.

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
I was going to respond to a few comments about dg track several posts back but got sidetracked. Might as well take advantage of some free time now:

Normhart, I'd like to let you know something about the dual gauge track featured on that route, particularly the curves. The dual gauge track is set up like bridges, meaning it is not intended to be used on curves. If you want the dual gauge track to curve, you need the 'MAN6 Joining Track' for the standard gauge track, and 'MAN6 Invisible Track' for the narrow gauge track. The way this is also set up makes dual gauge track even more complicated. The dual gauge track is like two separate tracks laid over each other. This means that if you want to use signaling on the dual gauge section or dual gauge switches, you need signals for the narrow gauge track and a separate set of signals for the standard gauge track, and a switchstand for the narrow gauge track and a switchstand for the standard gauge track. Because of this, if a standard gauge train has a red 'stop' signal and the narrow gauge has a green 'proceed' signal, they will literally pass through each other. Also, in the case of dual gauge switches, if the switch is set on the standard gauge track is set to the 'diverging' route, while the narrow gauge is set for the 'normal' route, again a narrow gauge train will pass through a standard gauge train. Because of these reasons, I replaced the dual gauge track with 'MAN6 Four Rail Track', which is set up like any other track for Trainz, though one set of rails is for standard gauge, and the other two rails are for narrow gauge. This also solves the signaling, switches, and curve problems. Just letting you know in case you want to take the extra time to make the change on the dual gauge section.

No. It is possible to have a real dual track. A guy in Portugal did it: 1668 and 1000 dual track. See somewhere in this post: http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?29047-T-TRZ-com Cheers.
@jpereira I only saw a 4 rail version of dual gauge track in your link - In the US most all dual gauge track I'm familiar with is 3 rail with a common rail used by both gauges. I've posted many pics of the dg track like this that I've made since I model the 36"ng East Broad Top RR that has almost 8 miles of dg track in its Mt Union yard and industry tracks. - edited rp

@jordon412 I agree pretty much with your assessment of the problems with bridge type dg track. I don't use it and prefer to lay 2 separate spline tracks (1 for sg and 1 for 36"ng) with the splines set at 10.25 inches apart and have since TRS04 days. My spline points are always duplicated and set normal to each other and in fact are a mathematical offset of 1 spline to create the other and this maintains a constant offset on tangent track and curves. I can work to this kind of accuracy because I don't lay track manually in Surveyor. I use my own utilities to read in 3-D vector data for the track route. The data is in files exported from cad drawing I make of the route. I believe it's as accurate as you can get in Trainz.

The problem with using a 4 rail track like MAN6 is that it's only just 1 track that both gauges run on. While it simplifies the signaling, switching and inter-gauge collisions it also it forces the equipment with different gauges to co-exist on the same "virtural" track. You have nothing stopping different gauge equip from coupling up together or even worse exiting the dual gauge track onto a section of track with the wrong track gauge. You might look into the track group assets and scripting to work around this but I always saw it as a problem and haven't found a way to prevent it - yet. Which is interesting since on the EBT the 2 sg 0-6-0 switchers in MT Union were used to handle both ng and sg consists on the dg track. They had 2 couplers at both ends with the ng one set off center to couple up to ng cars. I had to resort to some specials construction mods to Lee Ferr's generic 0-6-0 that I repainted to represent EBT no 3 so it would work both gauges on the type of track I use.

The 1 st pic is taken in Surveyor and shows the area of the EBT Mt Union yard near the engine house, wye and transfer shed. This is the type of dg track I use. In surveyor you see the orange "invisible in driver" track that carries the ng trains. Sg trains are carried on the visible mesh spline that includes all 3 rails. I could and have used this same mesh for bridge type dg but in this case I use 2 invisible splines to carry the trains. On the EBT the 2 sg switcher always ran facing track direction north. The wye had 1 ng leg and couldn't be used to turn them. There was a very long wye formed by the PRR track around the NARCO brick factory but if they were turned on it the ng couplers would be on the wrong side of loco and tender.

RPearson_20161103_0003_1.jpg

The next shot also in Surveyor shows the turnout leading to the engine house and the one on the end of the ng leg on the wye. As noted in the jordon412's quote the full dg turnout leading to the engine house requires 2 switch levers in Trainz while in real life switch blades for both gauges are controlled by a single lever. What you can't see here in Surveyor is that one of the levers (jn 1244) is "invisible in driver" and is controlled by the visible one (jn308). The turnout (jn100) leading to the ng only track on the wye needs only 1 switch lever and works in the usual way. The red cube near the turnouts is a scenery asset that provides a script to allow the 2 levers to be linked together so one becomes the slave of the other.

RPearson_20161103_0010.jpg

The next one is the same set of turnouts taken in Driver with the junction overlays displayed. Using visible and invisible levers linked together with scripting make it look and work like the real 3 rail dg turnouts. This is old track I made long ago that was updated from 2 lod mr track to a 2 lod version of the new spline track and really shows its age. I've discussed using the new proceedural track in TANE. In concept it's similar to bridge type track using attached splines with a lot of extra parts added in. Unlike the old bridge type it will make dg junction automatically and will have 1 of the 3 frogs and sets of check rails and 2 of the 3 movable switch blades. Curves seem to be not much of a problem either. So we can use it and add in some missing parts but not as many as we would if we worked with the new track splines. So the future in TANE is a bit brighter but still partly cloudy. :cool: Anyhow that's TANE and this route in the pics is TS12 and I've discussed the short commings of the PT type track elsewhere in the dev forum. [edited-rp]

RPearson_20161103_0015.jpg

Next one is in Surveyor. I think I posted a few pic of this model last year (my repainted and modified version of Lee Ferr's 0-6-0 generic switcher) but I haven't worked on it since. I'm using sg switchers to handle ng consists on the dg track. You can do it easily with 4 rail types of dg like the MAN6. But that's not what the EBT used and I don't want ng cars being dragged along the sg only track where the switcher could run or the sg locos escaping on the ng only sections. The project is a proof of concept that works with limitation that only some scripting will remove. I'm pretty sure I can develop the script to make it all work and only the 0-6-0 loco when it operates with ng consists is affected. I'm not as confident I can fix the collisions between sg and ng consists though that remains to be seen. Some of the new code developed for the interlocking towers in TANE might be usable here when I get the route all ported over. The EBT didn't have any track side signaling except thru the tunnels. So some kind of token system for ownership of a track block will be necessary or something like that for at least the dg track in Mt Union. But that's another subject. The ng cars on my EBT route can never get on the sg track unless they are set out there by mistake in Surveyor or by some rule that adds consists without checking for track compatibility (and I'm not aware of any that do check) and so must be coordinated by the user and I'll be looking into the track group assets for help in that.

RPearson_20161103_0004.jpg

The next couple show how the couplers work with sg and ng cars. Pennsy boxcar in background is sg and the EBT hopper in foreground is ng. [edit-rp]

RPearson_20161103_0006.jpg

In this one please ignore the fact that the ng coupler on the pilot beam of No 6 is on off center on the wrong side. 8-( Mistakes happen - still under development - and I though I'd fixed that one last year some time. No. 3's is correct and lines up over the centerline of the ng "invisible in driver" track spline.
RPearson_20161103_0008.jpg

Last are a couple of pics in driver with No 3 moving along the dg track pulling a string of 5 ng hoppers behind it.
RPearson_20161103_0012.jpg

RPearson_20161103_0013.jpg

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
ok, heres a few more shots from the updated timber ridge line i'm playing with in TANE ,
good%2013_zps0gz2finu.png

good%209_zpsg9mkwhgo.png

good%208_zpsj9ooegc3.png

i've used the cliff 1 mesh library and added some different rock faces so there some variety to the cuts ( not too many available for TANE )
good%2011_zpsdpcplcqz.png

good%2012_zpszeuagzmq.png

Theres a good freebee rock face texture site which has lots of high def pics of various rocks http://texturify.com/
good15_zpsn0oj8kzs.png

i'll post some of the yard and industries on the timber ridge redux thread later on today.

Last edited:
Back