Narrow gauge screenshots

progress shots form gravity hill san juan extension 1940

I returned to the old Antonito to Chama route and have been working on the vegetation out of Antonito . i'm dreaming about sagebrush.:)
Theres a bit of an graphic overload around the gravity hill area, the vista is very wide and its more or less brought my 4 gb gtx 970 graphics card to its knees if i have the maximum drawing distance activated. when i did a test run , whole sections of terrain just would not display.
this may be a mac issue as direct x is not supported , so i'll test it on my pc sometime to see how it plays, i have no intention of ever trying to put this out there anyways as there so much customised content and theres also so much to do i doubt i will ever get it anywhere near finished . heres a few screen
Screen%20Shot%202016-08-11%20at%201.54.02%20pm_zpsihecnkrz.png

shots
to show how much sagebrush there could be if one wanted to fill the valley with it so it looks authentic.
btw this isn't completed by any means, it just a starter for this section.
Screen%20Shot%202016-08-11%20at%201.54.17%20pm_zpsosxiysoe.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-08-11%20at%201.54.50%20pm_zpsoh8htsnj.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-08-11%20at%204.44.54%20pm_zpsnvhsrsqy.png

this shows how much there is to see in this particular part of the route, its hard not to vegetate the whole thing as it will look bare if nothing's there, i will probably have to custom make some new ground textures to simulate sagebrush as not all that happy with what i have at the moment .

As you get farther from the tracks you should start mixing the texture and the objects, and at a certain point stop using the objects to make a smooth transition.

As you get farther from the tracks you should start mixing the texture and the objects, and at a certain point stop using the objects to make a smooth transition.
thats what i am doing, but this particular stretch of track doubles back on itself so the objects are still visible from the track and it does not look convincing if they are replaced by textures, i'm considering where i can remove objects and replace with texture.
the sagebrush is realiy dense in this area , although it was probably sparser 70 years ago. i need to create a more convincing ground texture to blend the objects into ground, what i have doesn't cut it for me . as i am more interested in building than running so its not a problem per se , i'm more interested in getting it to look right , even when i had a model railroad i hardly ever ran the trains and as i said this ,isn't going to be released in the near future anyway :)
i also think this may be a open gl issue and the route may run better on direct x. a number of times i have had the issue with routes i've downloaded from the DLC just running out of puff and objects disappearing when running on the mac,and i imagine that this would not be the case on a pc using direct x . curiously tho, on trainz 2010 i could run something like Avery Drexel and never experience this issue, it may be due to me using a lot of old content from earlier game versions which is slowing things down. I have masses of co71 sagebrush as it looks good. but it may not be the most efficient stuff to be using.

2 lawleys crossing on Val of Dyffryn Railway
After watching video of one running at sandstone tried them with close to right weight train i could find, loco in video was struggling even with 2 coaches, looked like there was water on ground
20160812_143004_zpsgwwtdqeg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Tom

looks good, the rocks used for the cliff faces are really nice, are those the ones that are from Trainz Italia ?

Yes, they're from Trainz Italia. Although I intend to release the Mojave & Panamint publicly for free download, you will need to have their Rollins Pass route for some of the assets. That's the only drawback. Though I hear they are re-releasing it, but that's only a rumor so I can't attest to how accurate that is.

Lately I've been working on a lot of the standard gauge portions of the route. Although the primary part of this route is the M&P 3ft gauge line, there is (ironically) more standard gauge track by mile than NG. There's the Los Angeles & Independence (Trona RR) and the interchange with the Southern Pacific at Searles jct. A portion of the SP's Jawbone Branch is included as well as part of the SP right-of-way going south/west to Mojave. The map here stops a mile or two west of Rand, CA.

It's a BIG route, but should look amazing in T:ANE when it's done!

You've got some good looking routes of your own there! Your C&TS line looks great and so does that California NG route. The name of it I don't quite remember. >_<

Last edited:
Yes, they're from Trainz Italia. Although I intend to release the Mojave & Panamint publicly for free download, you will need to have their Rollins Pass route for some of the assets. That's the only drawback. Though I hear they are re-releasing it, but that's only a rumor so I can't attest to how accurate that is.

Lately I've been working on a lot of the standard gauge portions of the route. Although the primary part of this route is the M&P 3ft gauge line, there is (ironically) more standard gauge track by mile than NG. There's the Los Angeles & Independence (Trona RR) and the interchange with the Southern Pacific at Searles jct. A portion of the SP's Jawbone Branch is included as well as part of the SP right-of-way going south/west to Mojave. The map here stops a mile or two west of Rand, CA.

It's a BIG route, but should look amazing in T:ANE when it's done!

You've got some good looking routes of your own there! Your C&TS line looks great and so does that California NG route. The name of it I don't quite remember. >_<

I have used some of those train Italia rocks on rock tunnel on the C &T , they are really good.
rock%20tunnel_zps9imyvswr.jpg

I was obsessed with Rollins Pass for about a year and spent huge amounts of time on sorting out the old route, then Jango brought out the Trainz italia route and he'd fixed a lot of the issues that i wasn't happy with , but then and i thought why bother when its ready been done. ? I will pick back up on it if it gets released in TANE ( hopefully someone will build the Mallets, which are just amazing ) , i know there are efforts to make it even more authentic and people are building a lot of great prototypical stuff that will make it look fantastic.
I never got round to naming my other ng route, and i've left it on the shelf for a while whilst i go back to Cumbres and Toltec which i am making in TS12 as theres so many NG assets that are still not working in TANE - i can't even find a good sagebrush asset thats made to TANE standards, most go back to 2004 !
I've just spent the better part of a month working on getting the few miles out of antonito to be as close to the original as possible ,big issue is , its a relatively featureless part of the route and whole sections aren't photographed, but with the help of google earth, youtube C & T headlight videos and old maps, i'm getting there . got most of the trestles , culverts , dirt rds, drainage ditches and water courses in position , now just vegetating ( which is probably the biggest, or at least the most tedious part to accomplish....!)

dangavel

are you planning open the route to anyone would like it when ready?
presume you are referring to the c& T route ? i'd be happy to zip it all up into a file and pass it on yes, you would need to purchase some payware such as train italia stuff to get it to work. it's going to be fair old while though before its operational. as for putting it onto DLC that might be problematical as i've made changes to a lot of assets and would have to get permission from a lot of people , its possible though, lets see how things go.

. . . now just vegetating (which is probably the biggest, or at least the most tedious part to accomplish....!)

Couldn't agree more. This, and texturing, is what stops me from completing a layout I build from scratch, except the Model Railroadz.

Looking very Welsh , suitably grey and damp boy bach ( I speak as a fully certified Welshman ,so no changes of being phobic need be levelled ):)

Unusual I'm sure but quite possibly true to a prototype as the White Pass & Yukon had 3 depressed center flatcars in 3 ft gauge. Not multi-bogey cars though so this is rarer yet (neat looking too).

Ben

That Surgeon General can say whatever he wants I'm already addicted in fact I'm hooked on Trainz! and I ain't going to change doctor or no doctor it agrees with me what can I say.

As for the Sagebrush, it looks great, and the irregular spacing makes it look very natural too.

Keep up the good work... Thanks

Well it's been a while since I last made a post here. I've made some more progress on the Mojave & Panamint RR, mostly rock work, experimenting with textures, and a new mining branch with a switchback!

These shots look great ... I like the sagebrush too. I'm in awe of what you and others are doing. My efforts aren't worth sharing. Someday maybe, but I learn slowly, still struggling with basic stuff on Gmax and TranzDem.

These shots look great ... I like the sagebrush too. I'm in awe of what you and others are doing. My efforts aren't worth sharing. Someday maybe, but I learn slowly, still struggling with basic stuff on Gmax and TranzDem.

No worries, man! It all takes practice and a lot of patience. In any case I elected to start a new thread in the screenshots section dedicated to my M&P's development. My reason being is that the route also has a substantial section of standard gauge which really wouldn't be appropriate in this thread. Here's a link for those interested.

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?133193-The-Mojave-amp-Panamint-Railroad

I'll still post pics here as the narrow gauge progresses. I just recently updated Slate Range Pass and the pump house there where water is trans loaded from tank cars to the water tank. Since there is no natural source of water at the pass.

Back