Year of the Polar Express.

Zeldaboy14

Owner of ZPW.
As it is the 10th anniversary of the Polar Express (I think), I think it would be quite fitting for someone to make a complete Polar Express set that includes a lot of good feature's, such as all the coach's having interiors, and the kids from the movie in one of the coach's. Now, I not saying it has to be done, but it would be very nice considering that it is the 10th anniversary of the Polar Express.

Now, who said that I was that talented to build the polar express!? I'm still learning blender myself, mind you.

I mean he did say he wanted someone to build him an entire set with cab interiors, seems like a reasonable request for someone to do for free.

I didn't mean just for me, I ment for the entire Trainz Community. Besides, you said that it was the 10th anniversary of the Polar Express in your recent Lionel Video Tomix.

Now, who said that I was that talented to build the polar express!? I'm still learning blender myself, mind you.

I'll tell you what, I'll do it!

But first lets go over some facts and figures.

My old job paid me $8.55 an hour.

I am still learning blender my self. And it would take me time to learn how to animate a steam locomotive, and to learn how to do several other details such as piping. (Estimated time: 12 hours)

Now it would take me time to build just the locomotive. (Estimated time: 336 hours)

Each car is different, so it would have to be different models. (Estimated time: 120 hours per car (Possibly 960 hours give or take for the cars.))

People might be a bit harder to make. And its a lot of characters. The Conductor, the boy, the know it all, the loner boy, the girl, and the hobo. (Estimated time: 200 hours)

So over all, 1508 or more hours to do it. 1508*8.55=$12,893.40.

Or if I really wanted to, my last job paid $12 and hour. So 1508*12=$18,096.00.

I'll send you my Paypal information.

Last edited:
I think it's a really good suggestion. However, anyone who is going to do it should first get the permission of the holders of the copyrights of the book, and perhaps of the movie, as the project would be a derivative work under the US Code, and failure to get permission would probably create some exposure under US copyright statutes.

By the way, if it proves too difficult to get the book out by this year for the 10th anniversary of the movie, there's always getting it out next year by the 30th anniversary of the book.

ns

Last edited:
Do not forget the $500,000 copyright case for using someone else's property with out permission think this was all discussed last time you tried to get the community involved in this project for you Zeldaboy14.

Most if not all the required items are on the DLS or in the community if you look for them and would only need re skinning, found this out by searching the forums and reading a few of the many threads on this topic.

Last edited:
Polar Express was based on Perre Marquette #1225, a 2-8-4 Berk of which there are plenty already made for Trainz. Pick one that you fancy, reskin it, boom done problem solved /thread

Or you could pay Jib, your call Zelda.

Ok i like the smirk comments me cause they are funny. however there comes a time a line is to be drawn and we take down to the fact that no one would do it for free unless you are the man with nothing but time

ttte12345 made a model of the Polar Express, which appear to be reskins of magicland's passenger cars and colorado71's Pere Marquette Berkshire. I got these via a .cdp package via a post on another thread. I can't remember exactly what thread it was, but I think it was in the screenshots section.

I once did a reskin of my PM1225 into the Polar Express. The reskin didn't take long, but the 1225 is a different story. The 1225 probably took me over 400 hours to complete. Even if I devalued my time to $20 per hour, that would be $8000 of my time to develop the locomotive. Are you really asking someone to devote that much time to a locomotive for you that really isn't in that much of a demand here in the community.

Sure, it would be nice if there was someone out there that would build just about anything that we ask for, but these things take time, especially a steamer. There are two specific reasons that I've found that someone would make such an effort. First, it's something that they're interested in having for themselves and glad to build and share, or secondly, to be compensated for their efforts. I can't think of another reason that someone would spend hundreds of hours building something.

I think that you're best bet is to get a PM1225 and reskin it for yourself. Reskinning shouldn't be too difficult in most cases.

Mike

Back