model train cab-rides

9000DOLLAR

INACTIVE
YES! IT IS POSSIBLE! By using a "spy camera" on top of a flat car you can get a somewhat grainy video of your layout from the view of the engineer!
(for those who already know that, any idea how to make the picture less grainy?)
Unfortunatly for N-scale modelers, it won't work in N-scale unless a spy camera is modified and inserted into a modified traincar.
The bigger the scale, the better, I guess.

Or just get big enough trains and a decent camcorder

Cool video! (Is that a PowerCab or ProCab I see?) But I only have HO scale trains and a tiny oval of track. (not much to look at) Although, I may need to test out my new 808 car key camera on a club layout. (it's so small, it might be able to fit in the cab of a large F-unit or E-unit locomotive, although I wouldn't risk destroying the shell)

Last edited:
Cool video! (Is that a PowerCab or ProCab I see?) But I only have HO scale trains and a tiny oval of track. (not much to look at) Although, I may need to test out my new 808 car key camera on a club layout.

Pro Cabs, The Power cabs couldn't run that lay out. (We have 10+ boosters on it.) I th8ink you might be able to see some of them in the North Power Room around the min mark.

Pro Cabs, The Power cabs couldn't run that lay out. (We have 10+ boosters on it.) I th8ink you might be able to see some of them in the North Power Room around the min mark.

No one's using converted, radio PowerCabs? PowerCabs can be sent back to NCE for a fee to have radios installed.

So, that's a video of your local model train club? It looks big. I guess it's one of those clubs where you're just there to run trains and have a good time. (I've heard about "operations only" clubs, and that they aren't too fond of visitors)

Oh, yes, about the smiley thing, it may be considered spam, but, TOUNGE SMILEYS! ATTACK!
:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p (A little piece of the fun place known as the LEGO Message Boards. Yeah, it's normal over there.)

Lionel had that back in the 1980's, HO, O, and G.

I know, it was called Railscope. (I saw it on Ebay while I was searching for a train camera)
It was a black and white camera inside a dummy ALCO FP-A.
I ended up using an 808 car key camera on a flatcar for my tiny layout.

I ended up using an 808 car key camera on a flatcar for my tiny layout.

Haha, I have one of those.

You're N?

I'm N and HO. I can just manage to balance a xe-1 on a flatcar and get some really nice video. Better than anything I've seen before. A GoPro might be a good option. Those car key cameras though, the HD ones, I find they do a decent job despite the size.

Ideally you'd be best off with a shrink ray. Please see Honey I shrunk the kids for details.

No one's using converted, radio PowerCabs? PowerCabs can be sent back to NCE for a fee to have radios installed.

So, that's a video of your local model train club? It looks big. I guess it's one of those clubs where you're just there to run trains and have a good time. (I've heard about "operations only" clubs, and that they aren't too fond of visitors)

No need to. We got lots of Procab R's. We know a guy who used to work for NCE and dose all of our DCC stuff who got us a really good deal on them. Other then the fact that a PowerCab can be used with out a command station and the wireless, there is no difference between a Pro and Power Cab. If you turn on a PowerCab in PowerCab mode it loads up and says "NCE Procab" then flash's "NCE Powercab. If you take that same PowerCab and plug it into a command station, it just says "NCE ProCab." Trust me on this, I have used my Powercab as a Procab on that layout.

As for the layout it's self. Its in side a 10,000sqf building, and about 8,000sqf is layout. And its all one mans private collection, I just get to play with it. Or at least I did until I moved out west. But I still get to when I visit. We mostly run how ever and what ever you want. But there is a lose operation that I was setting up at one point. But I have to wait till more yards and industries are built, with they are still being built.

As for cameras, the problem with any spy or other camera that you find to fit in to a car or locomotive will be interference. This means that your picture quality will be good, then bad, depending on a lot of things. We do have one locomotive with a camera mounted in the cab, and it is hit or miss. Looks good in the yard, go into a tunnel and the picture gets fuzzy and then cuts out. Get on the high bridge near the ceiling, lose video. With DCC and radio throttles and WiFi in the building a little UHF of VHF transmitter, which most mini cameras use, just dose not have the power to over come these other signals. Your best bet for a really good high quality video would be to use a camera that transmits on WiFi. As a WiFi signal has more power to over come any interference.

Now I have tested this so to speak. I had mounted a camera that transmitted over UHF to an RC tank, and mounted my Cell phone with an app that let me transmit video over WiFi to another RC tank. I drove the TV camera mounted tank from my desk until I lost video. Then I drove the cell phone mounted tank until I ran out of house. Seriously, I never lost video over WiFi. I was at the far end of my house, where my router and desk where located, and I drove till I got to the other end of my house. Passing the TV camera tank. So in that test, I proved, at least to myself, that WiFi is what would work best for live transmitting.

A bonus of using a WiFi camera is that you could feed it to more the one computer screen, and even to the web. With the right software*, you could set up a driver at a remote location to the lay out. He use's the video feed to see what his train sees and the program to drive it. In other words, I could drive your train on your layout from my house.

Unfortunately I haven't fond a small enough camera that transmits over WiFi, has its own power supply, and is small enough to fit in the cab of an O scale or smaller locomotive. Then again, its been over a year since I last looked.

Now if you dont want to transimt, only capture video, then there are lots of good cameras for this. GOPros are one.

*JMRI has this feature, but I haven't dug too much into it. It was some thing I was going to try at one point. I have seen other layouts that do some thing like this. Ether they have the dispatcher miles away. Or in one case a man had his garden railroad set up so user's could log in, drive a train, and watch it from track side mounted web cams.

Haha, I have one of those.

You're N?

I'm N and HO. I can just manage to balance a xe-1 on a flatcar and get some really nice video. Better than anything I've seen before. A GoPro might be a good option. Those car key cameras though, the HD ones, I find they do a decent job despite the size.

Ideally you'd be best off with a shrink ray. Please see Honey I shrunk the kids for details.

No, I do HO scale. I only mentioned N scale because it doesn't seem possible to add a camera to N scale stuff.

So many cab rides, so little time!

All of these videos are cool! Although, I won't release any of my video because it isn't very interesting and I don't want to show myself in an online video. (I don't facebook, I don't twitter, and I don't youtube.)

Also, I won't reveal the location of the model train club I visit for the same reasons.

http://www.amazon.com/Smallest-camera-Ai-ball-supply-Cradle/dp/B00AYO96I4

This would be perfect for doing some thing like this. Then use JMRI and your Raildriver, if you have one, and you could really feel like you are driving a train.

Well, I'm not so sure it would really look that realistic on my "layout". I only have an oval of Bachmann EZ-Track that's three straight track pieces long with 18 inch radius curves. I only have one very small spur for parking one extra engine. Sometimes I even remove the spur.
But I do have a powercab and two BLI deisels, so it's not THAT boring.
(I don't have enough room for much more in the room that I built it in)

Back