Worldly Pain in the Arse- Updating Trainz Asset Database

davesnow

Crabby Old Geezer
Lately, as I have been "surfing" the Content Manager Plus, I have a problem. It is MOST annoying. If I click on a new ROUTE in the newest listings for that particular day. my CMP freezes up. Now it never does this when I click on anything else, just once in a while on a route.

Well, when it freezes up, there's nothing I can do but a force quit, and that includes force quitting TADDAEMON too. So, as everyone knows, when you have to force quite CMP and TADDAEMON, you must endure an Update Trainz Database. Since a have a lot of assets, I am forced to wait the three hours or so it takes for the Trainz Database to Update before I can go back to working on my Trainz projects.

This absolutely SUCKS GREAT BIG DONKEY --- well, if you're an old timer like me, you know what I mean. Why in heavens name doesn't N3V fix this?????? It annoys all of us. Hitting "Cancel" doesn't work when you're desperate to work on your Trainz stuff.

Lord have mercy I hope this is fixed before TANE is released.

Until it's fixed I will not be clicking on any new routes in CMP.

There, I've had my say.

Cheers,

Dave

I've noticed though that even when CM freezes up/stops responding, it doesn't necessarily mean that TADDaemon is not going to quit properly. Sometimes a few extra minutes are needed.

Shane

I love trainz, but I hate all the waiting around and wasted time. I too am in the old geezer category. I can't afford to waste too much time!

Cheers...Rick

Hi Dave,

It appears my Trainz ills have sadly spread to others. I ended up enduring a 3-day reinstall, DB repairs, service pack update, hot-fixes, and multiple asset validations. The kicker is once all this was done, the system kicked in another validation process, which took another 6 hours as it chunked through about 37,000 assets, as I attempted to test the fresh install. I eventually did just before I went to sleep at 2:45 am.

Unfortunately, a DB repair process puts the system completely on hold until that completes as the database is checked for errors. Once that ends we then get the validation process as each and every asset is then checked. According to the powers above, this is 'normal' and we can supposedly use the program at the same time as the validation process. NOT!!! You can't click on a menu with out TS12 white-screening for long periods. If you're in CM, you get not-responding messages and filters not responding. Upon checking the disk access, I found that each transaction takes close to 1 second a piece for each open, close, check cycle. That's a lot of seconds to go through for the content.

I agree we don't have the time for this, and it's not just being old either. I take medication which makes me nauseas. I'd like to use the program during my good time so I try to maximize my time to the fullest. With stuff like this going on, that plan has gone out the door.

As much as I'd like to see the company do well, I feel if the product continues to be like this, well it'll be yet another dead end.

John

Why I use the black pages...........

Speaking of CMP, I did a complete format and just love how on a NTFS System - copy/paste of content from drive to drive makes it Modified.
Had to re-download 65GB of DLS Content. REALLY?
Nothing was modified, just saved to prevent unnecessary re-downloading of the content.
My suspicion is this flaw is not a flaw but that to present another reason for a FCT.

And the Faulty Asset DB Repair. Have not one faulty asset and if it is faulty I have deleted it.
I do not fix content because it will be downloaded as faulty if used in a route.
People SHOULD NOT FIX content, forget they did, use and then have others download it. Plain and Simple.
Warnings are a different tune.

Must I sit for two hours while it checks every piece of content? Guess so.
You spend more time supporting Trainz anymore than actually enjoying it.

When Trainz freezes in surveyor, let it sit, most of the times Trainz will fix itself, I have waited as long as 30 mins. Also in CMP, after adding content, there may be a long wait when switching menus, bultin, today, etc. As in surveyor let it set, especially if there is nothing in the menu, it will populate after a while. If you need to shut-down CMP, open Task Manager and watch what TADDaemon is doing, it should be dropping memory, let TADDaemon quit before forcing it to.

John

The thing I have happen when cmp seems to stop working is for some reason TTDDaemon (Should be spelled TAD Demon) decides it wants to validate everything, I opened it one day when I thought cmp crashed just for giggles, and there it was happily validating away, No thank you, no I'm validating leave me alone , no kiss my, well you get the idea, just a not responding, sweet! So I let it do it"s thing and after forever and a day it started working again, Seems to do it when I download complex routes or a lot of stuff at once. There is nothing to do about the routes but I will not download more than about ten items at a time now. So I gess the question arises is TADDemon actually crashing or just giving you a hard road to tow - nasty any way you look at it.
I have not figured the surveyor thing out yet, again seems to do it on the more complex routes when you edit them. I'm gessing some sort of database read write thing.

Just checking - is this an issue for people who have patched up to the latest TS12 (can't remember the build number)? Or for any version of TS12. My version is, thankfully, stable, but I'm very reluctant to 'upgrade' due to all the problems we hear about, not least this 'validation' nonsense.

Paul

Actually in my case Paul I've had more trouble with 2010 than 2012 with all the updates installed as far as the valadation issue is concerned. The driver fps, and surveyor issue of hanging for time immorial problem , on my computer at least, seems to be if I,ve used a lot of google sketchup assets, But then again sketchup artists will say it makes no difference. So I guess I"m just imagining my sketchup slowdowns. Doesn"t mean I won"t use sketchup assets, I just take it into account when using them.
George

Last edited:
Back