Random railroading Q&A thread

NTSEFAN

trainz rookie cartoonist
I decided to start another Q&A thread, this time for anyone who has questions that relates to real railroading and such.

I'll start off.

were the railways in America ever involved in situations similar to those on European railways during the second world war?

Examples being: bombed tracks, blown up trains, relaying tracks, yards attacked, etc.

like so. it's for anyone who has questions and can provide answers.

Yes, the railways of America were faced with similar situations during the Civil War. This was beause the railways were back then, as much as they were in WWI and WWII, the principal way of transporting troops and supplies. So they were a major focus point for the enemy.

Engines and track were blown up, and rails were also pulled up and bent around telegraph poles. This was done by burning sleepers and heating up the rails to the point where they could easily be bent like horseshoes around the lineside telegraph poles.

From the Civil War came such stories as 'The Great Locomotive Chase' involving the three locomotives named General, Texas and Yonah.

How was that for an answer? ;)

Kieran.

Last edited:
@captain: He said WWII examples.

I heard of stories that Nazi Germany was plotting to blow up a portion of the C&O railroad in Ohio or Pennsylvanian to inhibit steel production in Pittsburgh by killing the coal supply (or iron ore supply?). I believe some US intelligence agency twarted the attempt.

Last edited:
There was a large derailment of ATSF crude oil going to aviation refinerys, sabatoge was suspected but it was later dropped due to lack of evidence.

In any case, any bombing would have to be widespread, uniform, and instantaneous. America had way too many redundant routes to make a single bombing very effective for long.

Am I on the NSA watch list now? Are you?

That's not the way I interpreted the question.

America's railways were bombed in WWII as well. I have a DVD series called 'War Trains' that documents some of this, though its main focus is on Europe from what I remember. I think some parts of some of the DVDs (there are three) are on YouTube.

Kieran.

Last edited:
Actually... He did not. He asked for similar stuff, not specifically during.

His exact words are:
"ever" clearly defines no time frame.

I did come back to say I saw his point. I will now add "my bad" to assure I rendered proper penance.

Still one can argue there is no earlier war that can have "situations similar to those on European railways during the second world war?"

Last edited:
I decided to start another Q&A thread, this time for anyone who has questions that relates to real railroading and such.

I'll start off.

were the railways in America ever involved in situations similar to those on railways during the second world war?

Examples being: bombed tracks, blown up trains, relaying tracks, yards attacked, etc.

like so. it's for anyone who has questions and can provide answers.

The 911 attack on the word trade center rendered the NYCYTA's #1 IRT train line world trade center station in a collapsed state, from which there was no recovery for several years.

Now can we get to the next Question before we are placed on the NSA watch list?

I'll start off.

Nick there's this unwritten rule that you need to check in on your sponsored thread more than once a week.

Thanks for some of the answers to my question you guys. it was helpful. sort of.

The point of this thread you guys is that EVERYONE who has questions relating to railroading and ANYONE who has answers can answer them. it doesn't have to be limited to just me.

I'll make this simple. one of you guys who has a question relating to railroading can ask and the next guy who has an answer can respond to it and then the next guy who has a question relating to railroading can ask and the next guy who has an answer can respond to it and so on.

you understand now?

Nick there's this unwritten rule that you need to check in on your sponsored thread more than once a week.

I know. I've just been busy.

Thanks for some of the answers to my question you guys. it was helpful. sort of.

The point of this thread you guys is that EVERYONE who has questions relating to railroading and ANYONE who has answers can answer them. it doesn't have to be limited to just me.

What makes you believe we were counting on that if in fact you are among the least posted persons here? I think we were waiting for the customary evaluation of the answers by the asker.

I'll make this simple. one of you guys who has a question relating to railroading can ask and the next guy who has an answer can respond to it and then the next guy who has a question relating to railroading can ask and the next guy who has an answer can respond to it and so on.

you understand now?

Oh we understand and know the customary procedure, we just perceived abandonment!

...And no evaluation by the asker of the answers given???? I think a crucial step is missing. Usually the question guy responds to the answers or else why respond if just anything can be blurted out?

We are waiting for you to evaluate the answers to your questions as the questioneer.

What makes you believe we were counting on that if in fact you are among the least posted persons here? I think we were waiting for the customary evaluation of the answers by the asker.

Oh we understand and know the customary procedure, we just perceived abandonment!

...And no evaluation by the asker of the answers given???? I think a crucial step is missing. Usually the question guy responds to the answers or else why respond if just anything can be blurted out?

We are waiting for you to evaluate the answers to your questions as the questioneer.

Like I said, I've just been busy is all. Real life stuff.

Next question.

If Americas railways had operatered their sleeping cars onto other lines and if they had solded their engines onto other lines either to cover heavy freight traffic, locomotive shortage, or by sale, WHY didn't Americas railways nationalized like Britains railways?

Asking out of curiousity.

First, I couldn't believe that this is being resurrected 2-1/2 months later. Secondly it appears things haven't changed in that the submittals were not/will not be discussed or evaluated.

I heard of stories that Nazi Germany was plotting to blow up a portion of the C&O railroad in Ohio or Pennsylvanian to inhibit steel production in Pittsburgh by killing the coal supply (or iron ore supply?). I believe some US intelligence agency twarted the attempt.

Two of the saboteurs did not think too highly of the Nazi party- not that they were US sympathizers, but that was the alternative they had. The mission was somewhat compromised before it even began, so these two informed the FBI of the operation, hoping they would be set free as US citizens as a reward for turning in the other men. They served prison time, whereas the others were executed.

Some of the targets were various ALCOA plants and dams, the Horseshoe Curve, and the PRR shops in Altoona.

After taking some time off, here's my next question.

Was it common for railways to run trains tender first?

Cause I have seen pictures and footage of it happening.

Hope to hear a good answer, but PLEASE don't make this stressful for me. I've already gone through enough trouble as it is.

Last edited:
It happened occasionally, when required, especially in railyards. But the answer to your question is "no, it was not common".

ns

Tidbit: Before the SP Cabforwards were created, steam locomotive crews had to put up with almost getting asphyxiated in the tunnels of the Sierra Nevada. One day some engineer decided he'd had enough and ran his train tender-first, an example that other engineers soon followed until the arrival of the Cabforwards.

Pretty much what nicky said; the smoke from the locomotive could asphyxiate the crew so engineers starting running their locomotives tender-first. But tenders weren't made for being pushed like that (it limited speeds), additionally the crew couldn't really see much and even put them on the wrong sides of the cab for spotting signals. They got Cabforwards because of this.

Back