BTS: Riding The Rails of The Lone Ranger

nicky9499

SSoTW Bot
Hollywood made it's own layout in the middle of nowhere; tracks, steam engines, rolling stock. Then went to film on it.

Just got to see this movie over the weekend, thanks to some HBO freebie time. The train scenes were great, certainly more in character than Johnny Depp's 'Tonto'.
Thanks for posting this.
Keep on Trainzin', Kimosabe!

Nice models and cool stuff, but typical Hollywood and their total unrealistic approach to some things. They don't always look at history or realistic aspects of things even when they try to portray it. In this film there is a big mistake which they should have caught. Trains back in the 1850s and 1860s didn't have knuckle type couplers. During this time they were using link and pin and chains. The Janney coupler didn't show up until after 1873. http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/bljannycoupler.htm Hmmm.... No one else noticed this but me, I wonder. :)

The other thing that bugs me... With all the closed branch lines, why couldn't they have used the track instead of building a new line. They could have used a granger ROW, which is quite common out in that area of the west, and even had the crew build the track.

John

They were not only knuckle couplers;.....but LINK AND PIN knuckle couplers!
The Lone Ranger and Tonto are mysterious figures...........on the trail of injustice, liable to show up in any time period.
There were several notable mistakes in the movie; which I have forgotten already, as the movie just wasn't that memorable!

They were not only knuckle couplers;.....but LINK AND PIN knuckle couplers!
The Lone Ranger and Tonto are mysterious figures...........on the trail of injustice, liable to show up in any time period.
There were several notable mistakes in the movie; which I have forgotten already, as the movie just wasn't that memorable!

I'm sure there were others, but this is the one I caught, and yeah link and pin - knuckles too. :) The railroads do use those so I'll cut them slack for that, but not for using the wrong ones though. I'm sure the movie was is as memorable as most Johnny Dep movies are! :D

John

It was more about Tonto....Johnny Depp, than The Lone Ranger.....don't even know his stage name..........but they did revive the 'William Tell Overture',.......made familiar to all in the tv series, for music background in the action scenes.
Aahhhhh Kimosabe, good war paint song!
Must go now....hunt buffalo in my computer......

Last edited:
Back