TS12 SP1 HF4.....validation, validation, validation..so when can I get to use the sim

gremlin1812

G'day, I started in CM and added five locos from CDP's then went into the game to check out the locos and it decided to do a validation of over 3500 assets, this is absolute bull manure, so now I have to wait until it finishes as you can do nothing useful while this is going on. Come on N3V get real this is hopeless I want to use the sim not wait around for these stupid validations which happen far to often and at the most inconvenient times the joy of using this sim is being taken away by these continuous validations.
This is the type of thing that will loose customers and potential customers as word of mouth is the most powerful advertising and unhappy users don't give good endorsements.
Cheesed off.

This is getting worse, it got to 516 remaining then decided to do a further 4700+ so it is just on three hours now and still cannot test the five locos, come on N3V this is getting beyond a joke. The sim is becoming unusable and a joke.

Well well, I started up my older PC opened up TS12 SP1 HF4 CM and installed the very same five locos then went into the sim to test them and guess what, ON VALIDATIONS, why...... NO DLC!!!!
It is the DLC and this stupid DRM causing all of these validations as if you have NO DLC there are NO validations.

The other TS12 is still validating over three hours now, that is three hours in which the sim is useless.

Since the is no Validation in trainz you must have a big problem, the data base might do a repair if you failed to close down the software/computer properly
Well well, I started up my older PC opened up TS12 SP1 HF4 CM and installed the very same five locos then went into the sim to test them and guess what, ON VALIDATIONS, why...... NO DLC!!!!
It is the DLC and this stupid DRM causing all of these validations as if you have NO DLC there are NO validations.

The other TS12 is still validating over three hours now, that is three hours in which the sim is useless.

Sorry to hear that you're having a bad day, but here are a few tips that might help:

* DLC is unrelated to content validation.
* If you're talking about "validation" messages in the TADDaemon console window, I'd suggest simply hiding the console window and continuing about your work. The console window is for development purposes only and does not have any meaning to the average user.
* If you're talking about a "database repair" prompt when attempting to start Trainz, that typically means that you did not exit Trainz cleanly on the last run. Unfortunately, all you can do here is wait for the repair process to finish up.

hth,

chris

If you're talking about "validation" messages in the TADDaemon console window
Yes that's the one. "Continue about my work", what a joke, trainz just lags and frequently freezes until this validation junk finishes, over five dammed hours it was unplayable, but as soon as it had finished all was back to normal.
If it has no relationship to DLC then how come my other one on my older PC WITHOUT DLC has never done ant validating???
It seems that you guy's just are not prepared to admit that you may be wrong. I want to be able to play the sim not sit around waiting for stupid validations to spend hours doing whatever and making it unplayable.

If it has no relationship to DLC then how come my other one on my older PC WITHOUT DLC has never done ant validating???

My guess would be that you're talking about an earlier version of Trainz, which doesn't display when validation is occurring.

chris

I've had this happen as well even with no database crashes. Once a large amount of validation starts occurring, the program is next to useless until this finishes. Nothing can be accessed in the Surveyor asset menu, or if the user can get there, there is a huge delay with the display greying out as the application stops responding. Waiting for a bit allows the application to catch up and release, however, how many people know that and will kill Trainz and mess up things more! If an asset is obtainable, then it's difficult to place with the mouse jumping around and not always responding to user input. To me it looks as though there should be a priority set for the user-side while the validation process runs as a background process. This would surely make the application more responsive while this occurs.

This may not be an issue to those that have only a few assets installed, but someone such as Gremlin or I have quite a number. With sometimes 25,000 plus assets being validated, this can take several hours even on a substantial system. In case you are wondering, I have an I-7 3.8GHZ processor with 32-GB of RAM and no other programs are running while assets are being validated except for Trainz TS12.

John

I've been experiencing this problem since late last year (2013) and I'm sick to death of trying to get the message across to them !! They don't want to listen , all they see are one or 2 posts from users that they don't have that problem , so we or our systems must be at fault .

I emailed one of the main developers asking for this problem to be sorted , I even including a picture of Taddaemon showing 19,000 + items left to validate to prove I wasn't lying and I never received a reply !!!

to quote WindWalkr : "DLC is unrelated to content validation"

So why the hell does the Sim have to keep Validating , We already have QDR's and EDR's for that purpose !?!?
Any additional content is checked when it's installed through CMP ,

Seriously it's like they have they coded the latest version of CMP / Taddaemon to be Paranoid or it's got a bad case of OCD !!

If you download the latest installer files, you then can install it as 61388 version, which I believe is the latest. Then you can skip all the patching ordeal. Just backup all your stuff, then uninstall it. Install with the newer installation files, and restore your data. No patching then. I saved myself a lot of troubles and headache that way.

Paul

I've been experiencing this problem since late last year (2013) and I'm sick to death of trying to get the message across to them !! They don't want to listen , all they see are one or 2 posts from users that they don't have that problem , so we or our systems must be at fault .

I emailed one of the main developers asking for this problem to be sorted , I even including a picture of Taddaemon showing 19,000 + items left to validate to prove I wasn't lying and I never received a reply !!!

to quote WindWalkr : "DLC is unrelated to content validation"

So why the hell does the Sim have to keep Validating , We already have QDR's and EDR's for that purpose !?!?
Any additional content is checked when it's installed through CMP ,

Seriously it's like they have they coded the latest version of CMP / Taddaemon to be Paranoid or it's got a bad case of OCD !!

We have brought this up numerous times here in the forums, but according to the lord and mighty developers (no need to mention names...), there is no performance issues. Ha! I'd like them to wait through a validation of 25,000 assets just because. I can see this happening because the program crashed and left a dirty bit flagged (technical term for suspicious data exit) so TADDaemon then verifies that the data integrity for due reason, however, to have this happen quite often even when doing things the correct and proper way, is a different matter and indicates there's a flaw somewhere. The fact that no one seems to think there's a problem indicates there's a problem somewhere that some don't want to admit to.

John

My TA12 IS 61388 version, and I have the process screens showing so I know I am clear to shut down without having a database repair when I restart. It is quite strange though how the other TS12 61388 version on my other PC (without any DLC installed) does NOT have these validation problems.

I'd like them to wait through a validation of 25,000 assets just because.

When you think about it, it probably doesn't come as a surprise to hear that we do this a lot. The pre-alpha environment tends to have a lot of crashes, and we tend to run with a lot more content than the average user.

For example, my regular TS12 SP1 install at work has the entire DLS installed, in addition to all of the DLC. I completely agree that rebuilding the database is painful (with that much content, very definitely a leave-it-go-overnight operation.)

chris

When you think about it, it probably doesn't come as a surprise to hear that we do this a lot. The pre-alpha environment tends to have a lot of crashes, and we tend to run with a lot more content than the average user.

For example, my regular TS12 SP1 install at work has the entire DLS installed, in addition to all of the DLC. I completely agree that rebuilding the database is painful (with that much content, very definitely a leave-it-go-overnight operation.)

With all due respect, you are paid to go through that. Us end users are using our little free time to enjoy the program. Its not a job, its a diversion. We don't have hours to wait.

chris

Yes but this isn't about the database repairs that we can implement when we choose (If we shut down correctly) , this is about Taddaemon constantly wanting to run 20,000 + content validation checks .
We have no control over those what so ever !!
I can choose to run a QDR or EDR whenever I want , but even then the kicker is with HF4 that when a database rebuild is done it still wants to do a content validation check at the end of it !!!

I don't think you realise how frustrating it is to turn on Trainz and expect to open up a route to alter it or go have a drive only to find that you cant for the next 7+ hours because Taddaemon's OCD has kicked in and it wants to check another 20,000+ items . It never did it in the older builds , All we had to worry about was not corrupting the database .

And talking of corrupted databases what has happened to Taddaemon , That program originally called tad monitor (If I've remembered the name correctly) started off as a simple way to back up the database so that when it corrupted you dropped in the last good save and a minute or two later you was good to go . These days it's the one causing the problems !!

I hope all this isn't a ploy to try and force users into buying T2 as soon as it's released due to the frustrations with using TS12 !
It is a dangerous game to play with those who bolster up your wages , that's 8 more months of frustration and meanwhile the competition (who no doubt have a good chuckle when they read these forums on a regular basis) are readying another free upgrade for September .....

Chris,

Of course a pre-Alpha test should be painful as they usually are. Isn't that part of testing the software? :)

However... This is the shipped version we're talking about here.

As the others have said we have no control when TADD decides to do this on us. There's nothing like having some time to do a bit of driving or route editing only to have that plan ruined because TADD decided to revalidate again for no reason. I go through great pains to ensure the database is shutdown properly before performing any kind of system maintenance, reboots, installs, or do anything else. I feel like I'm running my old SCALA AG server all over again, which I operated from 1999 to 2009! I also never, ever run TS12 and Content Manager at the same time. In fact I wait for the console window to indicate the files are closed and has exited before I start one or the other.

Now having come from the 'big database world' of MSSQL and Oracle, I understand the principals of the operation here. I can see TADD sensing a dirty bit flag occurring some how. Now if I had some technical difficulties, or worse pulled the numb nut move and turned off my computer in the middle of a Trainzing session, but this isn't the case, TADD should go in and revalidate the database integrity before we operate the program. Instead it somehow senses a change somewhere and needs to revalidate the assets all over again for no reason at all.

John

If TANE carries this garbage forward, they can keep it. 1GB of CDPs has turned into 32GB. I have an original folder. local folder and backup folder. How many instances of an asset do you need installed just to validate them over and over?*

If TANE carries this garbage forward, they can keep it. 1GB of CDPs has turned into 32GB. I have an original folder. local folder and backup folder. How many instances of an asset do you need installed just to validate them over and over?*

I agree. :)

Let's not let this one die... We have to keep pushing this issue to the top to get it resolved. :)

John

Last edited:
It's ground hog day!!! After all of the waiting I was to tired to do anything last night so I veeeerrrrryyyyyy carefully closed down and went to bed. Had a nice day out today and was feeling good, got home and went to drive a few trains, yes, you guessed it, validation time again (over 8000) this time, what gives, nothing changed since the last validation. This is taddemon and trainzfutil doing there act NOT a database repair. Come on N3V sort this junk out so we can use the sim for a change or are we not supposed to put assets into it and just use the bare built-in stuff. I guess I will now have to go to the old PC and use the install WITHOUT DLC so I can play without being disrupted and locked out of the game.
another evening ruined.

validation time again (over 8000) this time, what gives, nothing changed since the last validation.

I've no idea what might be causing this to repeat on your install. If you're interested in getting it resolved and are willing to help with their investigation, I can pass your contact details on to our QA team. For that to work out, you'll probably need to be ready to download up to ~20 GB of data (ie. several separate test installations.) PM me if you're interested.

chris

Back