What do we mine?

ish6

Since 2001
Hello Everyone,

Not sure where to post this, so here it goes:

What do we mine?

Perhaps the community can enlighten me on this subject - I know we mine coal, iron ore, and limestone; But what else is there?
The reason for asking -- Simple: Searching for ideas, for my Desert Route!

Thank you for reading this post, and looking forward to reading any ideas!!!:wave:

Ish

PS. Blog - My Desert route here ----
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/entry.php?932-quot-INTERACTIVE-RAILROADS-quot&bt=3315

Last edited:
Bauxite, Death Valley RR. (abandon). Potash, Trona RR, Still Running. Both in California. Copper, Arizona & Nevada.

Taconite too. Also, don't forget that there are multiple types of coal, the most common being bituminous and anthracite.

I think the easiest way to get an answer to this question is by going to this page on the USGS's website
http://mrdata.usgs.gov/mineplant/
This has a map of all active mines in the US, listing the material which is mined at each operation. If you set your route in a specific region, you can look up what is mined there. I have also encountered a listing of historic mines by state and county, but I can't find that page right now.

Cheers,
Ben

How about uranium ore? Sandstone areas such as the desert were rife with uranium mines back in the 50's and 60's. Pitchblende, found within sandstone areas, is a major uranium ore. Think of all the special processing equipment and such that can be created for an active uranium mine.

Franklin

Wow -- Thanks guys for your posts!

My Desert Layout far from done, so I think I can add many of these minerals, etc as time goes on... There is plenty of room! However, I would have to make the mineral posted on this thread, and upload, which is cool, tho!! LOL

If anyone has any more ideas be welcome to post!

At some time in the future, I'll take screenshots of these "mines" and put them together into a movie! --

Thanks to all!
Ish

Check out the open pit mine at Boron,Calif.........
Lots of tank cars and covered hoppers used daily.

Oh, they mine Boron :)

Dave

Since were all talking about mining is a sand pit, how about the answer is MINECRAFT! (JK). Anyway, the real answer I'll say is... Stone?

Nice to see you Ish! :)

Up here in New England, we mine mica, garnet, and feldspar. Not exactly huge business, but could be interesting none the less. We also have plenty of granite and limestone quarries. They are open-pit type things, but these usually have railroad connection of some sort or even their own railroad. One of the earliest railroads in the US was the granite railroad in Quincy, MA. They imported rail from England to get themselves up and running.

John

I'll second Salt.

Oil, extracted and processed from Oil Sands, such as in Canada, and maybe Natural Gas from Fracking.

Copper Ore is usually found in dryer climates as well.

How about oil! Yes, they extract oil from tar sands in Alberta Canada.

Tar sands are mined and processed to generate oil similar to oil pumped from conventional oil wells, but extracting oil from tar sands is more complex than conventional oil recovery. Oil sands recovery processes include extraction and separation systems to separate the bitumen from the clay, sand, and water that make up the tar sands. Bitumen also requires additional upgrading before it can be refined. Because it is so viscous (thick), it also requires dilution with lighter hydrocarbons to make it transportable by pipelines.

John

How about oil! Yes, they extract oil from tar sands in Alberta Canada.

Tar sands are mined and processed to generate oil similar to oil pumped from conventional oil wells, but extracting oil from tar sands is more complex than conventional oil recovery. Oil sands recovery processes include extraction and separation systems to separate the bitumen from the clay, sand, and water that make up the tar sands. Bitumen also requires additional upgrading before it can be refined. Because it is so viscous (thick), it also requires dilution with lighter hydrocarbons to make it transportable by pipelines.

John

Good Morning John,

Thanks for taken the time to explain that to me!!!
Now that I have an idea how it's all connected, it means, I can create the same scenario in my layout!

Take care
Ish

Back