The Story Of The 311

I like how you made it into an interactive story. However the original story goes like this.

October 31, 1948, Clinchfield Railroad #311 loads up logs at highland forestry. At 9:13 pm the train departs, heading towards the lower highland yard. At around 9:30 it began to rain, and the fog rolled in making it hard to see the tracks ahead. Due to the large downpour, rocks alongside the river were knocked loose and were pulled downstream into the wooden trestle. Since the trestle was old, when the rock hit the lower supports of the bridge they snapped which cause the bridge to give way. The engineer and firemen could not see the disaster until they were right ontop of it. The locomotive and crew plumeted into the freezing water below, the cars however remained on the tracks. When cleanup crews were called in to clear the wreck out of the water, the locomotive and crew were no where to be found. Its said that every year on Halloween, when it begins to rain and the fog rolls in, the ghost of 311 can be seen attempting to cross the bridge, but as it reaches the other side, it fades into the fog.

Where did you find that? My version is based on a combination of the stories I could find.

Mine is yhe original from WraithMike / MikeSDN (same guy). I forgot to add that if a engine ever hears the mournful whistle or the old clanging sound of the bell, the engine will be cursed until its final days among the rails.

Mine is yhe original from WraithMike / MikeSDN (same guy). I forgot to add that if a engine ever hears the mournful whistle or the old clanging sound of the bell, the engine will be cursed until its final days among the rails.

Interesting. I could not find wraithmike anywhere on the web, so I was unable to find that info. Probably would have come in handy.

I don't want to be a thread bumper here, but when I found this, I couldn't resist. I just had to post my response.

My version of the story of the 311 is a hybrid of both stories made by WraithMike/Flat6Machima/MikeSDN that I saw on youtube back in 2008 and 2010 when I was still in high school at the time.

And before anyone asks, YES I have seen the series and both versions of the 311's story as well. I've seen the first one back in october of 2008 and the second one in october of 2010.

The series inspired me to bring the 311 in my series as well.

Go to this thread here for both versions of my story of the 311 as well as info on both versions of the story of 311 in the railway chronicles as well: http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?80287-clinchfield-4-8-2-question

Believe me, I was there. I also Intend to write a creepypasta story on the engine as well someday.

What to you guys think?

Last edited:
I don't want to be a thread bumper here, but when I found this, I couldn't resist. I just had to post my response.

My version of the story of the 311 is a hybrid of both stories made by WraithMike/MikeSDN that I saw on youtube back in 2008 and 2010 when I was still in high school at the time.

And before anyone asks, YES I have seen the series and both versions of the 311's story as well. I've seen the first one back in october of 2008 and the second one in october of 2010.

The series inspired me to bring the 311 in my series as well.

Go to this thread here for both versions of my story of the 311 as well as info on both versions of the story of 311 in the railway chronicles as well: http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?80287-clinchfield-4-8-2-question

Believe me, I was there. I also Intend to write a creepypasta story on the engine as well someday.

What to you guys think?
When I saw this thread and looked it over a bit I also couldn't resist either. I would like to post my response too.

Believe it or not, I was in either in 7th or 8th grade at the time I've seen Wraithmike's work. The story of 311 actually made me afraid to be in the dark alone. Whatever Wraithmike/mikeSDN was thinking when he made this at the time, he really thought outside the box. I wonder what he's up to now????????

Ah yes, the famous Clinchfield 311, i made a short video here of demon Clinchfield 311, a Clinchfield SD45-2 hauls a freight train from the large marshalling yards to the industry district at the other end of the single track line during a nighttime thunderstorm, but the train disappeared 6 minutes later without any evidence, watch the video to find out what happens. (I know it's not the same bridge he fell off but i prefer a higher bridge for the erie setting.)

Last edited:
Crash year + 2 : a F7A freight drives down the track nearing the bridge. They are a little bit late according to the timetable. Suddenly the engineer hit the emergency brake as he saw somebody standing on the track. The consist stopped and the crew got down, pretty sure the had hit somebody. But no, a mysterious lady is still standing on the track. The engineer asked her if she was hurt and what she was doing there. The lady answered that she was looking for her husband, also an engineer, and the last time she had seen him was before he departed with #311. But she could not answered when. Suddenly a great clash reverberated through the slight mist and a scream could be heard. Looking back to the lady, the crew members saw that she had disappeared. They climbed back in the engine in silence wondering how they would explain the delay...

Crash year + 6 : My name is Bob this is what really happened last night ! My unit was the brand new GP9 received in the morning and my fireman was Old Clayton. We were asked to make a special run to deliver 3 tankcars of chemicals. I knew about the stories but didn't believe any of them although Old Clayton was nervous. Everything seemed OK, but as we neared the bridge, we hit the fog. Still ok but I slowed down a bit. We negotiated the right-hand curve and we saw it. In the mirror, the shined what could only be the front light of a locomotive, possibly a steamer. “That is the old 311” screamed Old Clayton, now looking very pale. I checked backward and estimated that the light was very near and gaining on us, so I put some speed, on notch at the time until the light was steady at around 200 feet behind the consist. I was afraid to go faster as the bridge was only quarter mile upfront and I don't like chemicals. ****, I was really afraid and Old Clayton was now green and mumbling something that I couldn't understand. We passed the bridge and I was holding my breath. Then we heard the clash, looking backward, we saw a big shadow tumbling in the river, only the front light was clear… and the scream, a bone chilling scream. We completed the run but Old Clayton was not useful anymore. He later told me that he recognized the voice of the engineer of the #311.. Sam, give me another double !!!

It's hard to write about ghost trains since they are inanimate. I find something better but similar is to write vignettes about railroads.

Sorry to intrude on the very interesting talk about a tale legendary in the Trainz community, but are there any models of "post-crash" (if you know what I mean) 311 available to download? I've been looking for quite a while but haven't managed to get a model that doesn't simply have a painted over headlight. If not, I might have to make one myself although I know there are like at least 10 other ones somewhere out there.

Now more on toppic, I have my own version of the story of 311 which contains elements of EVERY 311 story ever. Wanna hear? ;)

Back