Model Railroadz

Staging

Hi all... I fiddled around for ages trying to contrive a meaningful way to make the transition from 'layout' to 'staging'. From the layout side the problem was easily solved - cutting, road bridge, some dense shrubbery, and the fact the trains pass through the wall is hardly aparent...

mr_0053.jpg

The problem was masking the transition from the staging side, where any attempt to hide the fact that the trains ran through a 'brick' wall looked contrived to the point of silly. I tried false tunnel mouths, road bridges, all sorts of stuff but I finally struck on the idea of having nothing between the staging and the layout when viewed form the staging side...

mr_0051.jpg

Nothing has been moved in the second shot - the sky backdrop in the top screenie is still in place - but being a single-sided spline it is invisible from the 'rear'.

Curious to know what folks think of this dodge, and maybe see some ideas on how other 'modellers' coped with the same issue....

Andy ;)

Last edited:
I think most modelers don't worry about the staging side, as thats what it is, is staging. Its not meant to be modeled or looked good, just simply server the purpose of holding extra trains. But I like what you've done so far!

I think what you've done is perfect for the space you've got to work with.

I've been trying to use a nice long curve that takes the train out of sight by the scenery before introducing a backdrop to cover up the staging. In the case of what you've done (provided you have room behind where the camera is), I would have continued that curve to run parallel with the backdrop. Rather than going through the backdrop the train would drive around behind it. But you'd be seeing it drive behind a hill - like this:

3ebe920fad5bb5aba7519f8318291f25.png

oops - I didn't make myself clear...

The original staging was in a seperate 'room', so from the layout side it looked like this...

aatest1.jpg

... which I think looks better than the arrangement above. However from the staging side it looked like this...

aatest2.jpg

.. and I really didn't like the thru-the-wall thing, which is overcome in the arrangemnt a couple of posts up the page.

In the case of what you've done (provided you have room behind where the camera is), I would have continued that curve to run parallel with the backdrop. Rather than going through the backdrop the train would drive around behind it

Yep, there is a bit of room behind the camera, and you have pretty much nailed the arrangement...

(that vertical 'particle board' bit in the foreground is not visible on the route, the screenieis taken through the back wall of the staging room)

EDIT Eureka MOment!!!! The solution is to make the room side look like the arrangement in this post, but leave out the brick wall and door on the staging side! That way the layout end view is like in this post, but the view back from the staging yard is through the transparent wall and into the layout room exactly like the post a couple above. Best of both worlds!

:)

Last edited:
Ah, well you may be interested in something I'd been conceptualising. A lot of rooms for modelling or media use split surface walls with a wood panel bottom and painted plasterboard (or sometimes a carpet padded) top separated by what is usually a cable run, that is conveniently about twice the height of an HO scale train. I've run into similar problems as yours and considered creating a wall kit with portal splines for the cable run to allow trains to pass through walls.

The only problem with my idea, from what I can see, is variable layout heights. I'd possibly need to create a ceiling spline to cover up mixed wall heights, and potentially variable top surface wall heights to account for layouts like Kimo's that have 2 levels. I'm still not sure weather to make the portals an object or a spline. I see practical benefits for both, so I guess there's no harm in building both types.

4e50598d2c300f12c8e7f4af7bfab65e.png

Andy --

I encountered the exact same issue with my first model railroadz, way back in February '14 -- over a year ago now. The solution that I eventually adopted seems quite similar to yours (best watched full screen and in HD):

I'm really looking forward to your layout appearing on the Download Station.

Phil

Hi all I am looking for some model rail routes and I was wondering if you could help me out please
THE DONUT
THE OLD LINE
THE HOBBY TABLE
THE MAN CAVE
THE BASEMENT
NORTHBOROUGH MODEL RAILROAN

The reason I would like these is because with my new computer
all I intend to run on trainz is just model railroad

Thank you for all your help
Chris Sullivan

Scrap yard specializing in crushing cars.
Screen%20Shot%202015-04-25%20at%209.33.50%20AM_zpsdeeexivc.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Great shot, would love to get hold of the crushed cars, could you give me the name or kuid number.

regards
nzld

I will look this up in a few moments. Thank you.

They are:

Crushed Cars (a load, and a static version with the same name)
Car Crushed 01
Car Crushed 02
Car Crushed 03
Car Crushed 04

More Pictures:
Screen%20Shot%202015-04-26%20at%208.22.49%20PM_zps1xho71k9.png
[/URL].[/IMG]
Screen%20Shot%202015-04-26%20at%208.23.22%20PM_zpsrr4ww1fh.png
[/URL][/IMG]
Screen%20Shot%202015-04-26%20at%208.23.04%20PM_zpsw6lqrguj.png
[/URL][/IMG]

This is based off the spur in Manayunk, Philadelphia that isn't in use anymore, but serviced a paper mill on Venice Island.

From Wikipedia:
The Schuylkill River Trail (SRT) now overlays portions of the canal route. In Manayunk, the Trail was constructed across the canal from the towpath. (The Reading railroad built a freight spur on the canal towpath. That railroad is still served by Norfolk Southern).
In 2008 the extension of the Schuylkill River Trail from the Perkiomen Creek to Longford Road in Oaks opened. This length of the Trail makes use of the general course of the filled portion of the Oakes Reach and originally used the old canal aqueduct to cross Crossman's Run. On 14 February 2008, a meeting was held to announce the survey work for the extension of the Schuylkill River Trail along the towpath of the watered portion of the Oakes Reach. It was expected that the towpath restoration itself would commence around March 2009.[SUP][9][/SUP] However this work was suspended due to budget constraints. The work was restarted in 2014, and the restored towpath should reopen in 2015.

Last edited:
Excellent thank you, like the way you've used the backdrop to turn the warehouse into a low relief building

nzld

Back