Model Railroadz

Chadd04_20140814_0001_zps4a19dca4.png~original

Very cool Chad. You've got model Trainz down now.

Something I've been tinkering with, close to being done, it just needs some minor details and signalling done. An exercise on how much I can squeeze into a single board route.

0zygwndt.bsw.jpg

hyb5ab5o.fbf.jpg

vdbvy5p4.fzp.jpg

Thanks guys, I probably will release this one at some point.
Also added a few more small details in tonight. Have to say this one is really fun to operate.

lcdwrc25.bfr.jpg

No mate what I mean is What is the height from table top to floor what tool do I use to get this height and how do I use it
Thanks for all your help
Chris Sullivan

Chris --

Am I the "mate" with my response on the previous page?

If so:
The table top is at height zero.
The dig hole bottom is at height minus infinity.
Whatever you are using as the floor (I use a spline) set the height at minus something. I use -55.

Phil

Hi Philskene Yes you are and Thank you for your help
I noticed that on the video you sent me there was no sound
Chris Sullivan

This thread is amazing and the idea behind it is fantastic. I'm very impressed by all the great screen shots and helpful "how to" hints that have been posted here, and it has rekindled my interest in Trainz after a very long absence.

I started tinkering with a few ideas, and have come up with a process for transferring printed track plans into Trainz as high-resolution pseudo-basemaps that are shaped like the layout itself. There are many details still to be worked out, but I wanted to share my progress so far and start getting some feedback. The following images show the Fox River Grove RR, a 12x12 foot N-Scale layout that appeared in the February 1975 issue of Model Railroader and was designed by Frank E. Stastny. It has been one of my favorite plans for a long time, so I decided to use it for my testing; although, seeing it now, I do not think I would actually build it in Trainz as there is too much hidden track.

In any case the images that follow show the results of my experiments so far. The layout was put together very quickly and is not intended to be any great showpiece, just to demonstrate what I am trying to accomplish.

Shot #1 is the overall layout.
ModelerMJ_20140821_0004-75.jpg

Shots #2 and #3 show the detail that is possible with this method.
ModelerMJ_20140821_0005-75.jpg

ModelerMJ_20140821_0002-75.jpg

Shot #4 shows what the image looks like when you are zoomed in close enough to actually do some work.
ModelerMJ_20140821_0006-75.jpg

In the end this actually wasn't all that hard to achieve, although there were several subtle "gotchas" that I discovered along the way that turned out to be very important to achieving the right end result. The only tools I used were IrfanView, SketchUp and my RubyTMIX exporter (and of course a scanner); in fact, I think the "surrounding room" could also be done with SketchUp and RubyTMIX, but my experiments have not reached that point yet.

Opinions about this process are welcome. A short tutorial on how this was accomplished can be found a few posts down.

Thanks again to the OP for this awesome idea and for everyone who has contributed to this thread so far.

Regards,
-Mike

Last edited:
Looks interesting to me. Would be nice to be able to do as there are some routes I would like to make. The only thing I could see that would be hard to do is make terrain with this as the 'image' would move up and down. Is there a way to lock and objects height? I guess you could lay all the track then make the terrain would have to play around with it I suppose.

Back