Model Railroadz

These pics are from my Levere County Railroad, set in rural Indiana in the 80's.

The LVCR's only power for now, C425 48, switching hoppers at Peavey Elevator.
Screen%20Shot%202016-04-30%20at%203.01.05%20PM_zpsdqkrluyt.png

After all the work is finished (the cut of ICG hoppers picked up from the elevator and the ATSF ones set out, and the MoW cars and caboose picked up) the train passes the depot at Effort, IN.
Screen%20Shot%202016-04-30%20at%203.15.40%20PM_zpscw3ve131.png

This photo happened just before the first one and the engine was going forward before the conductor would change the switch and the engine would back onto the cut of hoppers, the work gons, and the caboose.
Screen%20Shot%202016-04-30%20at%203.13.23%20PM_zpsf102dn5f.png

A close up of MoW gon 1415:
Screen%20Shot%202016-04-30%20at%202.40.30%20PM_zpsykfjucxx.png

A close up of MoW gon 1414:
Screen%20Shot%202016-04-30%20at%202.40.38%20PM_zps16xxs7sb.png

The old depot at Effort, IN. It is currently used for MoW storage and an unpatched RI gon sits on the old station spur with some junk (old electrical cabinet and motor, pallets, ties, rails, old fuel drums, a trash can, a crossbuck, and a skip bag of rubble. Outside the gon, a pile of old culvert pipes and an old telegraph pole sit nearby.)

This layout is based off of the INRAIL model railroad, which some of you may have heard of before.

The LVCR has obtained a 2nd engine, RS18 #47 and another caboose, #X2. I saw them here running from the Conrail interchange east of Effort, IN, to be inspected, cleaned up, filled with sand, water, and fuel, etc. The stenciling and repainting was done overnight by a hired crew as the unit and caboose sat on the interchange. Along with #48 and #X1, they will be repainted if we can find the time and the money to do it. 47 will be done first as it is in the worst condition, then 48, then X2, then X1. Our paint scheme will be a simple red, with yellow accents and lettering, with black trucks, frame, fuel tank, etc. (How do I make paint look fresh without having the whole thing be the exact same color?)

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-01%20at%201.02.10%20PM_zpsi2xww09c.png

If only painting were a simple process lol. I'm currently in the process of painting up a Chessie System SD50. It all depends on if a blank exists for those Alcos. If one does exist, then painting it should be easy, just apply liberal use of the colorify tool using the selection box to put the colors where you want them to go (I'm assuming you use gimp as I do, not sure what kind of tools Photoshop uses). If a blank does not exist, that means that you have the fun job of making one yourself, which is honestly a long painful process, in which you must redraw every door and box and hinge in a grey-scale so that paint wil actually apply properly, then use the steps mentioned above. Hope that helps! :)

M120

Test driving a model railroad module:

Same module, but from the other end; a small loop in a small valley (with a lumber camp):

Tiny "shadow station" inside the tunnel (left side of the previous screenshot), seen from the inside:
Testing-tunnel-in-model-railroad-layout.jpg

If only painting were a simple process lol. I'm currently in the process of painting up a Chessie System SD50. It all depends on if a blank exists for those Alcos. If one does exist, then painting it should be easy, just apply liberal use of the colorify tool using the selection box to put the colors where you want them to go (I'm assuming you use gimp as I do, not sure what kind of tools Photoshop uses). If a blank does not exist, that means that you have the fun job of making one yourself, which is honestly a long painful process, in which you must redraw every door and box and hinge in a grey-scale so that paint wil actually apply properly, then use the steps mentioned above. Hope that helps! :)

Since my railroad isn't very neat and has a really low budget, the paint scheme is just red with black trucks, frame, tank, etc. and yellow accents. I think I'll just take away the CP Multimark.

can't wait to see what you do with it.
I hope to finish it and dump it on the DLS soon. "Finish" as in "well... it aint that terrible".

This is what the station looks like:
Station-on-model-railroad-module.jpg

It has some room for parking a train and do some minor shunting with two local industries.

Dumb Dumb question.

Before TANE i never knew there was a model railroad community i ntrainz making realistic looking baseboards and rooms, how do you make the custom sized baseboards?

Dumb Dumb question.
The only dumb questions are questions you do not ask.

The baseboards are still the same, but we use "tricks" to make parts of them look like tables.
I suggest you start with reading through this topic:
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?109444-Making-Model-Railroadz
I contains "how to's" and a list of some of the assets used.

Next I suggest you just go download a few and "steal" idea's. Good luck! :)

Edit:
Let me add another screenshot of that module to this post:
Another-overview-of-this-model-railroad-module.-Clearly-visible-is-the-shadow-station-hidden-in-a-tunnel..jpg

Notice the shadow station "hidden" in the tunnel.

Last edited:
Nice looking model railroad there, Oknotsen!
Thank you :) .
I finally had time (and energy) to finish this M120 module.

Finished the village (which always seems to take forever and I am never really satisfied with it):
Finished-building-the-town.jpg

Hope you also like it up close. It should be on the DLS somewhere the next 48 hours.

Basically my entire approach to trainz as a whole in a nutshell.
:hehe: I like it.

...Next I suggest you just go download a few and "steal" idea's. Good luck! :)
After just reading the now-defunct "Searching for Locomotives" thread, I saw your post here and just about lost it! :D

Anyway, thanks for the tips...and I'm sure that we will all be careful to copy style and not redistribute copyrighted assets without permission! :eek:

Two shots of work in progress - a virtual model railway depicting a rural branch in the UK

More available but I could only upload two via HostthenPost - don't know why.

Ray

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever seen circular fields in Trainz. That's pretty cool.
Well, in that case... lets add another screenshot showing them :p.

Farm land module:
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Credit where credit is due:
Tume has a few of these fields in one the routes he has built-in in TANE. The equipment you see here in the front of this screenshot is made by him.

Nice work all, and the switch puzzles are something else, very compact for one board.....

I have get a hold of the Grazzy stuff too, really makes a difference.......Thanks for Sharing.

Back