ZecRail Trainz Content

... this one will definitely be payware.

Regards

As it should, given the quality of work. Plus I would wait until T:ANE dust has settled before release. :)

I noticed your comment about Steve Lerro. Do you do the textures or is he involved in this? I understand Steve does the artwork for Bill Klene's locos. Just curious.

Cheers

Hi Paul
Thanks! :) I'm glad that my work is seen as payware quality!

I'm hoping to release not too long after T:ANE is released. However there are some things that I hope to try implementing on it, for T:ANE, that are giving me some troubles at the moment... Hopefully these get resolved fairly soon!

All of the textures are my own, however the interior view uses several free photo textures for the weathering :) Steve graciously did the sound editing for the VR peanut whistle sound, a huge improvement over my own attempt :)

On the topic of textures, I've finally baked the textures for the upper roof sheet. :)

TANE%202015-04-27%2023-22-39-35.jpg

TANE%202015-04-27%2023-25-04-09.jpg

I think it could do with some soot streaks down the troughs of the corrugations, but apart from that I'm really pleased with how it looks now! :)

Regards

Last edited:
Well, I watched the video of the interior and it is outstanding. The detail of the bolts and nuts on the windows, the window swivel mounts, the light on the cab rivets and and perhaps a dozen other features are really good. As someone who is currently building a steam loco cab, I notice those things! The texture of the roof (outside) looks a bit odd compared to the interior but, presumably, it looked that way.

A corrugated roof? Now that's something I haven't seen on a locomotive! By the way, the M class looks brilliant; and is looking better and better each time I see it. This could very easily be the best payware DLC for Trainz, and I think I can say that it will be worth every penny. Hats off to you, Zec.

Hi Paul, and Alex
This one is fitted with a 'safari roof' style roof, where it's actually two sheets with a gap in the middle. The upper sheet is corrugated iron (or sometimes plain sheet steel), whilst the lower section is plain sheet steel only. In this case, I've also given the cab view a timber lining on the under side of the cab, which was fairly common on Victorian steam locos :)

The lighting in the cab is made so much better by having world lighting in T:ANE though! :)

Regards
Zec

Nice work Azza!

I think I'll have to show you how I did the cab roof on the M class (there's about 4-5 steps, but it's more just time consuming than actually difficult). Same goes for weathering actually; this project has given me a lot of good ideas for future work :)

Regards
Zec

Finally made a start on converting the M class to air brakes. Not sure what else needs adding for the M class later in it's life, will have another look through photos/etc to see what I can find...

new-vr-steamer-78.jpg

Regards
Zec

I know there is an original photo at the Albert Park antiques and cafe shop there, it only has the rear of the loco, in North Melbohrne, depot,that may help.

Cheers.

I think I know the one you've seen Aidyn, I'm pretty sure I've got a copy here somewhere. :)

TANE%202015-05-18%2021-25-33-94.jpg

A quick test of the air braked M class in-game. Still need to finish a few textures, and details, for it :) Also done the cab view for the air braked version, although it still needs a fair bit of texture work!

new-vr-steamer-82.jpg

The main texture is currently baking. Looking like it'll finish at around 3 or 4 am at this stage... :O

Zec

Just WOW !!!!!

I am impressed by this nice looking asset.
May I ask about the number of polygons this model contains in LOD-1? I am interested in because of all of the smooth looking pipes and so on. May be I am trying to save on polygons too strong at my own stuff.

Your's TUME

Last edited:
Thanks all! :)

Tume, the non air braked version (purely because it was already open!) comes to around 61,000 triangles for the exterior model. This will go up a little more, as I intend to make 3D versions of some of the finer details that are currently textured on, for the highest LOD. :)

Pleased to say I've now got the air braked version's cab fully working in-game. A slight issue with a bit of the 'env' map but if that's the only thing I need to fix, then I'm happy! :)

TANE%202015-05-19%2022-38-11-13.jpg

Zec

Hi All
Well, this has certainly been a busy week. I've been tweaking things on the air braked M class, plus baking the exterior model (to cater for the conversion to air braking!), and a few other things. Since work has stalled a little, whilst waiting for bakes to finish, I've jumped back to another 'little' project...

I've finally gotten the basic variants of the 80lb track set converted over to procedural track. There's still a lot to go here, it has no real LOD yet (it's configured, just no meshes for it!), and I'm hoping to do more work on the textures, but it's definitely working!

A couple of shots in Healesville yard to show how it looks so far :)

TANE%202015-05-26%2023-55-39-12.jpg

The two main turnouts leading into the yard.

TANE%202015-05-26%2023-55-57-71.jpg

A zoomed in shot showing the other turnouts in the yard. No double slips yet, hopefully in a future update for T:ANE.

I still have a few other variants to create; plus standard gauge versions (quite easy to do now; just need to change a couple of values in the config.txt and it's done!). These are, essentially, a direct port of the 80lb track (with minor improvements), and will obsolete the original 80lb tracks. Same goes for the 60lb tracks when I finally get to them.

Regards
Zec

Looks really good Zec. Those procedural switches further improve the appearance of an already very nice route. I think support for slip switches, 3-way switches, and crossovers would be a much welcomed addition to T:ANE as well.

You just made me very very happy Zec, was going to ask about your VR track, but you beat me to it :) (I use it extensively on my modular routes, etc)

Which DLS Content? Much of it still works for it, and the rest is probably completely so far out of date an entirely new model would be easier

Back