Faults and warnings

GeorgeCW

Just sort of wondering, after being around awhile. I should probably know this, but I don't. What is the reason to fix assets with warnings if they work. Fixing faults is obvious. I mean some of the warnings don't even make sense. Ie; warning your black is black, Hello! some of them don't even make sense to me, but I'm not the brightest quadroped on earth.
George

Last edited:
The ones you need to fix are the errors. Warnings can normally be ignored, unless it's relating to a missing mesh-table entry or missing .texture.txt files.

Shane

Guess I didn't word it right. What I was wondering is if warnings affect performance, and if not why are the even there? Sorry about any misunderstandings.
George

The aliased-mesh warning means what it says- validation isn't available and thus if you're not doing your own sanity-checking, you may have some errors that you're not aware of. Improvements to the validation processes may reveal these errors in the future.

chris

Thankyou Chris. Am I correct that there is the chance that aliasing may be phased out in the future?

No. Jet didn't handle it well, so that was previously a consideration, but E2 is not going to share that limitation so we have no reason to phase it out.

chris

Help please, the following warnings re stopping the asset from working can any one help with how I can rectify these?

Warning: The texture 'd&rgw_k-36_489_body/headlampglass.tga' is a uniform color.
Warning: The texture 'd&rgw_k-36_489_body/night/night_op.tga' is a uniform color.
Warning: The texture 'd&rgw_k-36_489_body/shadow.tga' is a uniform color.
Warning: The texture 'd&rgw_k-36_489_shadow/black.tga' is a uniform color.

Trainz Backer- Engineer Foreman(Box)

Help please, the following warnings re stopping the asset from working can any one help with how I can rectify these?

Those warnings should not stop the asset from working, but they can be easily fixed. In Content Manager right-click the asset and choose Edit / Open In Explorer. When the Explorer window opens, select each tga file in turn, open it in your image editor, and make a small adjustment - one pixel of a slightly different color is enough. Your image editor might have an option like Add Noise - that will achieve the same result. Anything that puts some variation in the image is suitable.

The images should be resized to a maximum of 16x16, such as 8x8 or 4x4. However, the image could possibly be part of a pair that are referenced from a single texture.txt file, in which case it should not be resized. If you are unsure about how to check for this, leave it at the current size.

When you finish fixing the images, in CM select the asset, right-click and choose Edit / Commit.

Last edited:
'Warnings will never stop an asset from working. If the asset is not working, then you have some other problem.'

They do in TS12 latest patch!

Thanks for the information Builderbob, will give it a go!

Julian

Last edited by a moderator:
No. Jet didn't handle it well, so that was previously a consideration, but E2 is not going to share that limitation so we have no reason to phase it out.

chris

That's good. I'm hoping that the bugs that are in TS12 SP1 though are ironed out in T:ANE though.

Shane

That's good. I'm hoping that the bugs that are in TS12 SP1 though are ironed out in T:ANE though.

That's a very vague comment. If you have a specific bug to report, please open an appropriate thread in the TS12 support forum and provide a step-by-step guide to reproducing the issue.

thanks,

chris

That's a very vague comment. If you have a specific bug to report, please open an appropriate thread in the TS12 support forum and provide a step-by-step guide to reproducing the issue.

thanks,

chris

Chris - both me and several users on here have done bug reports on various issues in TS12 SP1. What I'm hoping for is that those bugs don't creep into Trainz: A New Era (especially the spline related disappearing track/tunnel/train bug which I did send an email as you requested previously via the TrainzDev email address, but didn't hear anything back regarding whether the problem was identified or not - makes me wonder if somehow emails are getting lost in the system).

Shane

I try to fix all warnings on assets that are route dependencies & bring the assets up to 3.7 or 3.6 whenever possible, it just looks good. Some assets are not upgradable, some splines & built-in scenery non-spline assets. The Aliased assets can be fixed by loading the mesh file into your asset and converting the texture.txt file to .tga. It helps if you have Pev's tools to do this.

John

Back