Metro North Derailment

Yeah, I just read about this crash. Quite the serious one if you ask me. I have read several reports and I have seen differing numbers on those injured or killed in the accident (a range from 0 to 4 killed). Weird.

So many train derailments have been occuring lately. Last year, on the New Haven line, two M8's derailed around Bridgeport Connecticut, last spring, a CSX freight bound for Oak Point (Harlem River Rail Yard) derailed by Spuyten Duyvil. I wonder, could that section of track where today's derailment occured really be fixed or maintained properly because the CSX derailment also occured on the curve by Spuyten Duyvil. Would these 5 shoreliner push pulls be repaired soon? I pray hoping that the injured get back to a full recovery and everyone gets to their destinations safely

Last edited:
Infrastructure getting older and older and not enough of money to go around! also operators getting younger and younger experience disappearing...

The engineer, who is injured but alive, was quoted as saying that he applied the brakes for the curve but no braking happened.

Apparently the train was running backwards (for a 2 hour trip). I wonder if that might have been a contributing factor. After all a pushed car is more likely to derail then a pulled car since is leading into the curve as opposed to being led into it. Ben

Ben

Just seen this on BBC TV and according to some eyewitnesses the train appeared to be travelling at excessive speed for the curve.

An interview with a gent that rides this train every Sunday says he thought it was going faster then normal.

The engineer says he applied the brakes but it didn't slow down.

Ear witnesses say they heard the sound (screech) of locked up wheels.

Meanwhile talking heads on TV will speculate for hours if not days rather then wait for real facts.

NTSB is on the way so some real info will appear reasonably soon.

Ben

I also heard the train was moving faster than normal. I would imagine the speed around that curve to be 30-35mph.

one of my friends from NRHS The national rail historical society used to be a
Metro north engineer years ago he must have been the first person to hear about it I was thinking of posting a thread about this but then I said maybe I should wait and see how long it takes for someone to post a link

my three theory's: 1. he was on his phone
2. he fell asleep at the controls
3. He was drunk or had some kind of drug or mental issue (just saying)

my three theory's: 1. he was on his phone
2. he fell asleep at the controls
3. He was drunk or had some kind of drug or mental issue (just saying)

These, I hope, are just your theories and aren't proven true.

I'd wait to see what the NTSB has to say regarding the accident.

It could be anything from mechanical failures to track problems, to something else. We don't know and it's not good to level accusations like this.

John

These, I hope, are just your theories and aren't proven true.

I'd wait to see what the NTSB has to say regarding the accident.

It could be anything from mechanical failures to track problems, to something else. We don't know and it's not good to level accusations like this.

John

Not to mention potentially libellous, both for the individual (engineerkenny) and the forum host (N3V).

IMHO the moderation policy on these types of threads should be known information only and no wild speculation.

As it was most likely a push/pull consist, the power car may have been shoving on the rear of the train, as a remote control unit

All the photos I've seen that show the whole scene show one locomotive pushing seven cars. The lead card came within inches of the water.

The river shown is the Harlem River which separates Manhattan Island from Long Island. The derailment is on the north side of the river (long Island). The engine is on the north end of the consist (away from the river). TV has reported is was a south bound train so it had to have been running backwards as suggested by Cascaderailroad.

Ben

Small correction, the Harlem River separates Manhattan from The Bronx. The East River is between Manhattan and Long Island.

Back