Careful of the Black Friday Scams!

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
Yeah, I know this is probably in the wrong place, but I felt it's important to make everyone here aware of this.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Users-Warned-of-Thanksgiving-and-Black-Friday-Spam-and-Scams-403214.shtml

With the coming US Thanksgiving holiday and upcoming Christmas holiday, many legitimate stores and internet resellers are offering good deals on computer hardware and other nice gifts. A good example would be New Egg, or perhaps BestBuy here in the US. As usual there are the not-so legit critters doing the same to snare innocent browsers.

So be aware of these email scams and schemes and stay clear of them, otherwise you could end up with malware, or worse stolen personal information.

John

Last edited:
It seems like, no matter how many warnings go out, something happens and people get bit. Sometimes, I've been curious, but don't bite. That being said, you can be very careful and still get bit! So,beware, and have a Happy Thanksgiving, and let me be the first to wish all trainzers a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

Absolutely! I got a call from my aunt. As the family technician, I now have to clean her PC of some kind of junk she downloaded.

Happy holidays to you too.

John

Last edited:
Why do some large stores in USA open on Thanksgiving Day? People would rather eat the big bird than to go shopping.

Absolutely! I got a call from my aunt. As the family technician, I now have to clean her PC of some kind of junk she downloaded.

John

Hi John,
Charge the family for repairs the over next 20 days and put it on Kick Starter :D

I don't have to worry ... I never buy anything ... and I sit inside on Black Friday and laugh at all the idjiots, and enjoy watching on TV, a good riot and trampling, as thousands of mindless drones, all fighting for 12 in stock new fangled PC's at $10 off

I don't have to worry ... I never buy anything ... and I sit inside on Black Friday and laugh at all the idjiots, and enjoy watching on TV, a good riot and trampling, as thousands of mindless drones, all fighting for 12 in stock new fangled PC's at $10 off

I am careful too about buying specials , free shipping and stuff like that...Tried one of them on Aliexpress - I am waiting 5 months + for a free shipped parcel from China...

John

My mother in law called me by knocking on the window , so i put it on spin cycle.

Mega bump (instead of starting a brand new thread)

How much does one save on a Black Friday online sale ?

50 measly bucks ?

If I wanted to buy an ASUS ROG Laptop that normally sells for $1700, how much would I save on Black Friday, over everyday normal costs ... and what is a reputable dealer ?

I would not go out to a BigBox Store and buy a PC as the traffic is so bad, and you would end up with a POS® Hunk"O"Junk, that would only run TRS2006

Last edited:
Mega bump (...
I would not go out to a BigBox Store and buy a PC as the traffic is so bad, and you would end up with a POS® Hunk"O"Junk, that would only run TRS2006
If you would have bought it anyway without the sale, meaning you did your research and know what your buying, then if it goes on special, go for it. Otherwise, impulse buying can result in another piece of shelfware.

I do my best not to shop too much anytime of year, but from Thanksgiving on, other than shopping for food, beer and wine, no shopping until after the first of the year. If I don't have it, I'll have to do without.

Regards,

I do my best not to shop too much anytime of year, but from Thanksgiving on, other than shopping for food, beer and wine, no shopping until after the first of the year. If I don't have it, I'll have to do without.

Regards,

This is the same for me. I've found that the prices are actually higher this time of year with a so-called sale tacked on to make the items cheaper, and there are better sales during other times of the year anyway. Besides, I'm broke right now and have bills to pay off first before I think of buying anything else. :)

John

I'd pretty much just binge on new trains at my hobby shop which almost NOBODY goes to. :D:udrool::mop:

The Chief Mate's monitor has been acting up, so she went ahead and bought herself a 27" HP on a Back Friday on-line sale from Best Buy..........for $127 (US)! It will arrive in the next few days, so I'm curious as to how this is gonna work out. Will it sit there and smoke, when powered up, or will it actually work? If it works she may find one morning that it shrunk to a 24" HP (which is now sitting on my desk downstairs). She will then don her Sherlock garb and track down the offending absconderer, for which he will receive a severe finger wagging and a lashing with the cat 'o nine tails. If it smolders, he gets to wag the digit and apply the cat!
There are several lessons to be taken here.
First and foremost; shop from trusted retailers. :eek:
Secondly, sometimes you can get a great bargain after midnight, from stuff laying around your own house. :clap:
Finally, don't let anyone in your house ever, ever, have a bigger monitor than you! :'(

Last edited:
Why do some large stores in USA open on Thanksgiving Day? People would rather eat the big bird than to go shopping.

Obviously not. People line up to shop on Thanksgiving night. If the customers didn't want to be there the stores wouldn't be open.

I need to rebuild my desktop so I'm waiting for "cyber Monday" to see if newegg has a good sale on a new Asus ROG motherboard or Pro Gamer board. If no deal shows up I'll wait till after the new year.

With any luck I'll have the new rig done when TANE's service pack comes out :hehe:.

Dave

The Chief Mate's monitor has been acting up, so she went ahead and bought herself a 27" HP on a Back Friday on-line sale from Best Buy..........for $127 (US)! It will arrive in the next few days, so I'm curious as to how this is gonna work out. Will it sit there and smoke, when powered up, or will it actually work? If it works she may find one morning that it shrunk to a 24" HP (which is now sitting on my desk downstairs). She will then don her Sherlock garb and track down the offending absconderer, for which he will receive a severe finger wagging and a lashing with the cat 'o nine tails. If it smolders, he gets to wag the digit and apply the cat!
There are several lessons to be taken here.
First and foremost; shop from trusted retailers. :eek:
Secondly, sometimes you can get a great bargain after midnight, from stuff laying around your own house. :clap:
Finally, don't let anyone in your house ever, ever, have a bigger monitor than you! :'(

When I need, or want, a new PC I convince my wife that her PC is out of date and ready to go up in smoke. Then I build myself a new PC and give her my old one.
~

Back