Amtrak on the wrong track

boc61

And you thought this only happened in Trainz

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/11...for-new-york-ends-up-in-philadelphia-suburbs/

PHILADELPHIA (CBSNewYork/AP) — Amtrak officials are looking into how a New York-bound train took a wrong turn and ended up in the Philadelphia suburbs.

The Keystone train that originated in Harrisburg, Pa., somehow got on the wrong track after leaving Philadelphia’s 30th Street Station last week.

It wound up at a local train station in Bala Cynwyd that is serviced by the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority.

Ha!
Kinda reminds me of that Railway Series story where Gordon was accidentally sent down a branch after some complications at the beginning of his journey.
I think it was called "Wrong Road." Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Ha!
Kinda reminds me of that Railway Series story where Gordon was accidentally sent down a branch after some complications at the beginning of his journey.
I think it was called "Wrong Road." Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yep, absolutely correct. It was Edward's branch down from Wellsworth to Brendam.

They need something like that to hire better crews! :)

Kidding aside, this was quite a serious situation from what I read over at Train Orders. The train could have run a switch unknowing once out on the commuter line because the track is unsignaled on the outbound side past the single track and only signaled inbound.

I don't know about you, but I would have done things differently. I would have had a crew member on the ground to spot the train to ensure that it backed up just enough past the switch to do the reverse move. Instead they relied on the dispatcher, and also from what I understand and read at TO, Amtrak only has jurisdiction up to signal JO for Zoo Jct. The rest of the line is under Septa control which means the train would have disappeared from the Amtrak dispatcher's boards at some point anyway. The other thing is if there was already an outbound Septa train on the line, the Amtrak train would be unnoticed by the Septa dispatcher because he would have seen the train as one of his.

We're all very lucky that this didn't cause a serious accident.

John

They need something like that to hire better crews! :)

Kidding aside, this was quite a serious situation from what I read over at Train Orders. The train could have run a switch unknowing once out on the commuter line because the track is unsignaled on the outbound side past the single track and only signaled inbound.

I don't know about you, but I would have done things differently. I would have had a crew member on the ground to spot the train to ensure that it backed up just enough past the switch to do the reverse move. Instead they relied on the dispatcher, and also from what I understand and read at TO, Amtrak only has jurisdiction up to signal JO for Zoo Jct. The rest of the line is under Septa control which means the train would have disappeared from the Amtrak dispatcher's boards at some point anyway. The other thing is if there was already an outbound Septa train on the line, the Amtrak train would be unnoticed by the Septa dispatcher because he would have seen the train as one of his.

We're all very lucky that this didn't cause a serious accident.

John

I'm glad no one was hurt either. Although not discussed over at TO, what I find most interesting is that this little branch was able to handle an AEM-7. This is a considerable problem elsewhere on the SEPTA system, especially on the ex-Reading side, where aged electrical substations have a tough time supplying enough power to run SEPTA's own push-pull sets, which use the same locomotive. It's quite possible that the last heavy duty electric locomotive this branch saw could very well have been a GG-1 or E-44 some 40 or 50 years ago, yet, surprisingly, that old PRR tech is still delivering the goods today.

I'm glad no one was hurt either. Although not discussed over at TO, what I find most interesting is that this little branch was able to handle an AEM-7. This is a considerable problem elsewhere on the SEPTA system, especially on the ex-Reading side, where aged electrical substations have a tough time supplying enough power to run SEPTA's own push-pull sets, which use the same locomotive. It's quite possible that the last heavy duty electric locomotive this branch saw could very well have been a GG-1 or E-44 some 40 or 50 years ago, yet, surprisingly, that old PRR tech is still delivering the goods today.

As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." PRR built some darn good infrastructure, don't think there's much that isn't capable of handling at least a semi-modern engine on lines like that. Hell, look at SMS Rail Lines. They use Baldwin diesels and are even hoping to return an Alco 0-6-0 to revenue service. If the line can handle an AEM-7, then I'd say keep 'em running. Just gotta keep an eye on the wires and watch for any problems.

As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." PRR built some darn good infrastructure, don't think there's much that isn't capable of handling at least a semi-modern engine on lines like that. Hell, look at SMS Rail Lines. They use Baldwin diesels and are even hoping to return an Alco 0-6-0 to revenue service. If the line can handle an AEM-7, then I'd say keep 'em running. Just gotta keep an eye on the wires and watch for any problems.

Wait, a steamer? And what is their actual running route?

Wait, a steamer? And what is their actual running route?

Not sure offhand, I know next to nothing about that rail line. I found out through a video on youtube, by Big Jim Productions. Search up SMS rail lines on youtube, that'd be the best way to find that video.

On NYC subway system, train operators usually set routes using punch boxes. How was the route for the Amtrak train that ran to the wrong station set?

Back