Upgrade to Trainz 3.7?

It would be good to get a list of these problems so that each may be worked on individually and be fixed. I realize that you also have a problem with DRM, but it would be good to understand which particular elements of DRM concern you the most. For example, some people are fine with Steam DRM (purchased items attached to an account rather than a machine ID), while others are not.

I'd be happy to. Since the other poster in the TANE you asked to start a new thread on this topic hasn't done so, I suppose I will.

Last edited:
I'd be happy to. Since the other poster in the TANE you asked to start a new thread on this topic hasn't done so, I suppose I will.

My apologies RRSignal, for dropping the ball, so to speak.

My only excuse is that, for me, DRM is not a current issue/problem, because like you, I refuse to update to SP1 (I did install it, and gave it a fair try, it was horrible), and I actually prefer TS2010 for performance on my laptop, so aside from the impact of DRM on Trainz-T2 and/or future DLC, it was not a priority to me to start a whole new discussion.
-That said, I would have liked for Tony to have embraced discussion of DRM, as a direct relation to Trainz-T2 (TANE), because I believe it will be a determining factor in the success of the Kickstarter project.

My apologies RRSignal, for dropping the ball, so to speak.

My only excuse is that, for me, DRM is not a current issue/problem, because like you, I refuse to update to SP1 (I did install it, and gave it a fair try, it was horrible), and I actually prefer TS2010 for performance on my laptop, so aside from the impact of DRM on Trainz-T2 and/or future DLC, it was not a priority to me to start a whole new discussion.
-That said, I would have liked for Tony to have embraced discussion of DRM, as a direct relation to Trainz-T2 (TANE), because I believe it will be a determining factor in the success of the Kickstarter project.

No problem. Actually I'm finishing up my rather loquacious reply now...hehe

Nope . N3V is too lazy to upload the patched version to their download servers . You have to patch the game manually .

That's not true.

The latest version on Simulator Central is up to SP1. HF2 and HF3 which are very small may have to be downloaded, but SP1 version is already up there on SC.

There is also an auto-update available for current users who have not manually patched.

John

That's not true.

The latest version on Simulator Central is up to SP1. HF2 and HF3 which are very small may have to be downloaded, but SP1 version is already up there on SC.

There is also an auto-update available for current users who have not manually patched.

John

Hmm . Then why i can't download any updated installer files of Trainz Simulator 2010: Engineers Edition from Planet Auran ?

That's your opinion; many folks would say that 49922 is much better.

Come now RRSignal, surely you must also realize that saying 49922 is much better is your own opinion. As a developer, it is in my best interest to remain on the latest platform to ensure content is always up to the latest standard, but I don't see where an older version can be better than the current one - that is to say, I would not go back for any reason that I can think of.

Hmm . Then why i can't download any updated installer files of Trainz Simulator 2010: Engineers Edition from Planet Auran ?

Because they didn't do that with TS2010, ever. With TS12 they got smart by putting the patched version up in the cloud.

John

Come now RRSignal, surely you must also realize that saying 49922 is much better is your own opinion. As a developer, it is in my best interest to remain on the latest platform to ensure content is always up to the latest standard, but I don't see where an older version can be better than the current one - that is to say, I would not go back for any reason that I can think of.

Well, that's my point: Much as Windwalkr saying SP1 is better is purely his own opinion, and lots of folks here would disagree. As the lead author of the patch and the game itself, I wouldn't exactly consider him "unbiased!", lol. :)

As for content, it would seem logical that one would want their content to be compatible with as many versions as possible so as to maximize the audience for potential sales. That's my take as a creator, and I'm not even out to make money. While it's great to strive for better quality, bear in mind that the vast majority of Trainzers do not own a "recent" copy of Trainz - a little research and math suggests only around 15%-17% or so own some version TS2010 or later - and one runs the risk of losing business by breaking legacy features. I would venture to estimate even half of the more involved, die-hard users don't, based on observations of timelines of posters here. Mind you, that 15%-17% includes all post-TS2010 versions - Android, iPad, Trainz for Mac, etc. as well as TS12, and that the mobile versions (according to N3V) heavily outsell PC versions like TS12.*

Fortunately, except for routes and sessions, there is presently very little reason to break compatibility with pre-SP1 versions (unless you know something I don't), so, hopefully, it won't become a major issue.

*In case you're wondering, I've broken this down before: http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...stion-about-DLS-Cleanup&p=1208192#post1208192

Last edited:
I am not sure that is what I meant by my comment. I was just saying that I don't see a particularly good reason for staying behind with pre-service pack TS12...

As for content, it would seem logical that one would want their content to be compatible with as many versions as possible so as to maximize the audience for potential sales. That's my take as a creator, and I'm not even out to make money.

Yes this is true, but there comes a point where it requires too much effort to support old and new features across a common piece of content. As it is I support TS09 (sp4) to the latest TS12 at JR, and this already requires a few code tweaks and minor changes per item to do that. if it becomes much more difficult than that it is simply not worth the potential sales to the users of lower versions for a variety of reasons.

1. It costs me more time to produce
2. it takes up more space on the server
3. it requires a higher level of technical support
4. it can very well diminish the quality and features of new products.

there are probably more good reasons as well.

Not that i have actually read this anywhere from N3V (I have only seen posts on the forums acting as if this is an outrageous stance) I would have to agree with the idea that people who bought the software many years ago are not customers - current customers. The mere fact of once purchasing from N3V or anywhere else does not grant the right to be a perpetual customer or have any say in the progress of the product indefinitely nor does this grant them perpetual support of those products (all of which they seem to want). If they wish to remain current with content and features they should upgrade just as everyone else, if not, then remain with the old software, just don't expect support forever.

Your figures apparently assume that all of the software users are also forum users - correct me if I am wrong - but this is simply not the case.

You make some very good points, but as was brought up by "SonOfHam" recently, brand new boxed versions of Trainz as old as TRS2004 are still being sold off store shelves in many parts of the world. I'd venture to guess that TRS2006, TS2009 and TS2010 sales, world wide, are stronger than TS12 sales through Simulator Central...Even if N3V drops support for those versions (which they are doing/will do), there are still brand new customers who will be wanting "payware" enhancements, and I suspect that the number of people wanting payware for older versions will actually increase as N3V continue to implement strickter DRM protocals.

I'd be curious to know if there is a way to track that type of thing.

I'd venture to guess that TRS2006, TS2009 and TS2010 sales, world wide, are stronger than TS12 sales through Simulator Central

I would expect that this would be incorrect. Even with the rather dismal marketing of TS12, speaking as a vendor, it sells much better than the others including add-on packs.

Back