Trainz: A New Era Pre-Orders Have Now Arrived! - Visit our Information Page to find out more.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to Trainz 3.7?

Default Upgrade to Trainz 3.7?

Hi i wanted to know if anyone could tell me if its a good idea to upgrade to Trainz 3.7 from 3.6 or not? I've heard some negatives about it, but I know quite a few people have done it.

Short answer to that question:
    Are you into Multiplayer? Yes, update to build 58414.
    Do you use a LOT of very old content? No, do not update past build 49922.

I'm sure more people will reply to give you the longer answer .

I do not advise. Begin to "glitches" and "crashes". 'll Have a problem (are): http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showt...Location-quot-!
    Also - TRS 3.7 will kill all the power of your computer!

If you buy TS12 now ... What is the trianz-build ?

I hear that all discs and digital downloads are now SP1 ?
    Willey Finishzit, Kenny Dooit & Betty Doant

United States of America, Floatin' Along the Delaware River
    Blog Entries

I would advise against it. YMMV, but, maong many other things, it introduces a huge number of problems, especially with DLC.
    Last edited by RRSignal; October 29th, 2013 at 03:13 PM.
    Tip of the month: Avoid buying Trainz on Steam, especially if you intend to gift it. Apart from the game differences, Steam keys are not the same as CD keys and will not work!

Blog Entries

As you've probably noticed, some users try and get other users to avoid SP1 at all costs.

What I will say is that it depends on whether you are starting fresh, or have a lot of content installed (and whether you have the patience to handle what SP1 may throw at you).

With a lot of content installed, it may involve fixing/updating some content, but the amount of content that needs to be actually fixed is getting smaller.

There are quite a few bugs with SP1 at the moment, but quite a few got dealt with with the 3 hotfixes.

One other thing though. Some content will only work on TS12 SP1, and once a route is saved in TS12 SP1 it cannot be read by anything before SP1.

Shane
    Shane Turner
    Technical and DirectX Advisor - Not affiliated with N3V

My Forum -- PevSoft Tools -- Tutorial List (inc DirectX) -- My Utilities --TrainzTutorials.com

Blog Entries

Of course, some users will try to tell you it's the best thing since sliced bread, conveniently ignoring all the problems it causes. Unfortunately, once you install the patch, you can't "undo" it, at least without reinstalling and losing any modified routes and sessions.
    Tip of the month: Avoid buying Trainz on Steam, especially if you intend to gift it. Apart from the game differences, Steam keys are not the same as CD keys and will not work!

Blog Entries

Install both pre and after then you can decide what works for you.

I don't have a problem with SP1 although I've had crashes in CM but I don't experience the stuttering claimed by others. That must come down to how you use it.

The reason I went to SP1 is that cab controls in cab mode now work.

Paul

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Of course, as has been said by a few people here, that this is all rubbish and avoid it like poisoned earth. If you plan to upgrade, make a backup copy of what you already have installed. If you don't like the new version, restore your backup. Period. That's what backups are for anyway. In the IT world, it's called disaster recovery. The errors that you'll encounter with the older content are things that should have been fixed in the first place. This is the next level of error checking that has been implemented. Missing thumbnails are easily repaired, and many content creators, including third-party creators, have updated their content to repair the error. In the event that something is not repaired yet, the fix takes longer to open the content in CM than it does to repair the asset. Other errors are some incorrect tags in the config. txt files. Among the more common one is Mode which requires an actual text-string value and not a number which many content creators put in there. These fixes are documented here in the forums and in the Wiki.

Now being one that has updated to SP1 already and a bit beyond, I can say that yes, like all Trainz versions thus far, this is still WIP - a work in progress. The good news is there are also some nice hidden gems and some nicely fixed things too. If you already have TS12 49xxxx version, you'll have noticed that merging doesn't work. As a route builder this is a fatal flaw that was sadly released with TS12. The SP fixes that and nicely so. There are a few other things worth mentioning too such as the ability to straighten roads and other splines now without going to the track tool, and some nice things under the hood.

Now, there is the DLC issues. If you don't upgrade you do miss out on the newer stuff being released, and yes there is the DRM which I've heard (read here) in the forums that N3V is looking to improve that current situation to allow users to modify the content locally but not upload it.

And to clear up another rumor. The program does not require that you are online all the time. This is false if you've read it. I use Trainz TS12 SP1 HF3 offline all the time. In fact I find there is better performance this way without the network connection.

John
    Trainz User ID: 124863

Australia, South Australia, Christie Downs

Why upgrade to something that may or may not work when something new is in the air to replace it???
    cheers,
    Mike

Summary: NEW TRS wait.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeaust View Post
    Why upgrade to something that may or may not work when something new is in the air to replace it???
    I'd answer this by saying:

* Because it's free, and better than what you have right now.
    * Because while we're as excited about E2 as you are, it's not going to be in your hands in the immediate future.

The advice above about taking a backup before updating is good. That way you can try it out for yourself and make your own decision.

chris

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WindWalkr View Post
    * Because it's free, and better than what you have right now.
    That's your opinion; many folks would say that 49922 is much better.

Quote Originally Posted by RRSignal View Post
    I would advise against it. YMMV, but, among many other things, it introduces a huge number of problems, especially with DLC.
    It would be good to get a list of these problems so that each may be worked on individually and be fixed. I realize that you also have a problem with DRM, but it would be good to understand which particular elements of DRM concern you the most. For example, some people are fine with Steam DRM (purchased items attached to an account rather than a machine ID), while others are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Termin View Post
    I do not advise. Begin to "glitches" and "crashes". 'll Have a problem (are): http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showt...Location-quot-!
    Also - TRS 3.7 will kill all the power of your computer!
    Termin, I am glad to see that the problem highlighted in this thread was identified and fixed on the day it was reported and had nothing at all to do with being V3.7 killing your computer after all.

Unfortunately it is this type of experience that people like to highlight as a reason to avoid SP1. This type of problem could have happened in any version of Trainz and appears to be caused by either an incomplete download or possibly a database error.

We can only fix known, reproduceable problems. The fix for Termin was either to redownload or repair the DB. The fix for people who install a patch, update content and don't take a backup copy and then decide to revert to a previous version without losing their work is to take a backup first (the same as they would lose work using most office products if they save the latest version without keeping a prior version).

For anyone who is having problems, please feel free to spell out the reproducable issues you have with SP1 HF3 and we will attempt to identify and fix them.

Blog Entries

49922 was OK until one wanted to merge two large maps. This is one of the areas that 49922 failed miserably on.

Shane
    Shane Turner
    Technical and DirectX Advisor - Not affiliated with N3V

My Forum -- PevSoft Tools -- Tutorial List (inc DirectX) -- My Utilities --TrainzTutorials.com