UP Caliente Subdivision (Large Pics)

Hi there everyone!

Been working on this little project for a while now, thought it was time to share it.

I'm currently working constructing the line between Las Vegas, NV& Milford ,UT which is known as the "Caliente Subdivision". Union Pacific's Caliente Subdivision runs through some great scenic terrain perfect for rail fans wanting to capture there next breath tacking shot. Well i wanted to be able to show this through trainz and this has always been something I've wanted to create for trainz and its slowly coming to life!
A little about the subdivision, as the Caliente Subdivision being one of the longer subs around at 242 miles, a majority of this sub lies in southern Nevada, with a smaller portion in the state of Utah. The line passes through desert, washes, forested mountains and high plains. There is never a lack of scenery almost anywhere along the way. With the line getting up to a max track speed of 70 mph while the sub carries a comfortable 20-25 trains daily ranging right through from intermodal through to cement.

The time period will be modern day, as that is the period I find most interesting.
I plan to complete the line from Las Vegas MP334.3 right through too Milford MP576.7 Including the branches in between such as the one leading to Moapa Valley. Criticisms and general feedback are much appreciated as I really like to get everything as close to real as Trainz will allow...

I would also like to give a huge huge thank you to Gwapo50 for all the time and effort he put into all the DEM work on this project. The route it self will be constructed in 3 or 4 sections at a time with the all sections being merged once complete, like anything.. its starts off with small steps and grows with time, this route still in its early life but seeings im enjoying this at the moment i look foward to every chance i get on it! Cheers Daniel!

bf30d8384ed6532c93518848582832ea.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback everyone, its very much appreciated!

Absolutely fantastic ... what are your gradients like ?

Cheers mate! As per the grades on the prototype reach upto 2% in some areas along the sub, it dose vary though with the highest piont on the route being 6,011' @ Crestline, NV and Lowest Point: 1,601' @ Moapa, NV as seen on the table. With the DEM being very accurate i the grades will be recreqated accuartly, as i move up around the forested mountains around Crestline the grades get alot steeper then say for exaple the grades seen around Moapa Vally are in the pics. Hope that awnsered your question.

cool route but the train traffic has drop to 12 trains a day now.

Thanks for the information, interesting!

Cheers Daniel

Daniel,
The route looks spectacular. I would love to have it right now. A quick question on the plant scenery being used, is it JVC Payware? I just thought I would ask, as it looks perfectly fitting for the kind of route that it is considering it takes place in the baren wastelands of southern Nevada outside of Las Vegas (Trust me, I know it personally as I have been there a couple times). Outside of that, I don't really know what to critique about it. It looks pretty awesome!

And as always,
Have fun!
Chris/Enzo1

Daniel,
The route looks spectacular. I would love to have it right now. A quick question on the plant scenery being used, is it JVC Payware? I just thought I would ask, as it looks perfectly fitting for the kind of route that it is considering it takes place in the baren wastelands of southern Nevada outside of Las Vegas (Trust me, I know it personally as I have been there a couple times). Outside of that, I don't really know what to critique about it. It looks pretty awesome!

And as always,
Have fun!
Chris/Enzo1

Cheers Everyone! Thanks for your kind words Chris, its great to hear so much positive feedback esspeacily from a guy that has experiance the vast landscape that im trying to capture here, yes JVC Payware! Jankvis dose an amazing job with all his hard work and puts so much time and effort into this hobby, i would highly recomend to anyone looking for top grade veggies!

Just one for tonight.. :)

Kind Regards Daniel.

Last edited:
Cheers mate!

From the Las Vegas Segment
(Moapa, NV to Las Vegas, NV)

Union Pacific SD40-2 #3132 leads a string of empty's to Smiplot Silica Prouducts, located in Moapa Vally upon the end of the line,

UP Mixed Freight trails along the Great Basin Hwy WestBound into Las Vegas,

UP #3129 tugs a short string of emptys downgrade to the Pabco Gypsum site for loading also know as the Gypsum Cave,

Thanks Daniel :)

Last edited:
Back