Trainz Past-Present-Future

Tony_Hilliam

Trainz Plus - enjoy Trainz from just 20 cents a da
The latest update on the Mystery Map has been posted and we're now getting down to the exciting part of our little teaser. If you are a Trainz fan, make sure you take this opportunity to have your say - we want to hear from as many fans as possible.

And for people in Brisbane or Sunny or Gold Coast, come and join in the fun on Saturday in Ipswich.

Looking at the map, I am happy to see that the Trainz line is extended to the future :D (yes, this is the 10 year old kid part of me speaking).

Is my interpretation of dark green being the PC line correct?
Is my interpretation of dark green being the main product line also correct?
... which combined would mean that the PC game is in the near future still the main line?

I see the Mac 2 version already written on the map. Should I read that as "the next big product to be released" with the other lines "an open future" or should I read it as "we simply did not add the rest of the details yet"?

I am wondering what that Y shaped dotted line is. Based on following the "main line" this should be the next (2?) new product(s ) to be released, but the line only has features and no content :confused: (which actually might be a good thing). It also contradicts my previous assumption of the "Mac 2" product to be the next to release.

... And then there is a star, which is not the "you are here" pointer and which also could be indicating "the first new thing to be released".

So many questions... ;)

Looking at the map, I am happy to see that the Trainz line is extended to the future :D (yes, this is the 10 year old kid part of me speaking).

Is my interpretation of dark green being the PC line correct?
Is my interpretation of dark green being the main product line also correct?
... which combined would mean that the PC game is in the near future still the main line?

I see the Mac 2 version already written on the map. Should I read that as "the next big product to be released" with the other lines "an open future" or should I read it as "we simply did not add the rest of the details yet"?

I am wondering what that Y shaped dotted line is. Based on following the "main line" this should be the next (2?) new product(s ) to be released, but the line only has features and no content :confused: (which actually might be a good thing). It also contradicts my previous assumption of the "Mac 2" product to be the next to release.

... And then there is a star, which is not the "you are here" pointer and which also could be indicating "the first new thing to be released".

So many questions... ;)

Great to see the thought you have put into analyzing the map - I can't really give away too much just yet - that would spoil all the surprises we have in store for you all.

What does concern me a little is the lack of contributions to this thread so far. Does it mean that people are taking their time to think deeply about the possibilities before responding? There are lots of people reading the thread so it would be great to hear from some one you whatever random thoughts you may be having.

There is one small piece I can add about the comments so far - two lines merging into one line merging into the "loop" may not indicate two separate products. Any ideas what the features might be?

Ok - I will have a shot at the purple dotted line leading into the loop or rather the green line.
Virtual Trainz on the web - single or multiplayer - pick and play a route without downloading megagigs of assets - yahoo!!!

butler57

My random thoughts are that the release of TS14(?) is imminent, complete with a brand new game engine. Having said that, I have no doubt it will come with a new set of problems for current asset content. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Knowing the tie-up with Steam perhaps Trainz for Steam OS (which would perhaps half please the Linux lovers)

This is only a guess, but in my past life before I retired, whenever I saw a 'Y' occur it meant that there was a merger afoot. Would N3vgames be merging with another gaming company?

OR ....

It may mean the 'linking' or merging of TS14 with TS12,.... possibly with some really special trains that have not been modeled yet.

OR ....

Maybe we are going to see the old "Wild Wild West" trains from North America as well as, some new 'High Speed Rail' similar to what we see in China.

Cheers,
Roy3b3

Last edited:
My random thoughts are that the release of TS14(?) is imminent, complete with a brand new game engine. Having said that, I have no doubt it will come with a new set of problems for current asset content. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.
A new game engine ... lol ... that would most probably make all the assets and routes unusable, and Trainz would have to start all over again, from scratch

A new game engine ... lol ... that would most probably make all the assets and routes unusable, and Trainz would have to start all over again, from scratch​

At least partially this would be a good point. There is so much very old stuff still used... even if its technically and optically outdated...
However, at least for newer content there must be a way to "convert" it.

Edit:
There has been an announcement here (i can't find it again) saying that there will be a new trainz version this year... so i guess it will be the purple Y-Line.

Does the Y mean that this version will have two main modules? Or two modules will have major changes?

Last edited:
A new game engine ... lol ... that would most probably make all the assets and routes unusable, and Trainz would have to start all over again, from scratch

Not really, have a look at MSTS and Open Rail Simulator (ORS).

ORS have a new Engine, but you can use the old (and good) MSTS stuff, so is it possible that the new Trainz version have a new Engine and you can use your good old stuff.

Rather than speculate on guesses on a "Mystery Map" just there to fill the gap I would rather appreciate a clearer roadmap with time course : expect new thing for PC next year, for mac the year after... something like that. I don't expect details but rather orientations : yes we are working on a more efficient program with optimizations and a new engine rendering or at the opposite don't expect new engine but new features : (cloud trains or something like that !)
I personally expect improvement of speed and/or better rendering, correction of the many bugs and freezings as well as Trainz taking in charge dual screen... Just dreaming ! In other words before new revolutionary features I would like to just enjoy what we already have with the best potential !

So no guesses, if you, N3V, have something to announce: do it ! Otherwise, speculations and '?' + dotted lines ect, that doesn't help to be patient, believe me !!!

Last edited:
Rather than speculate on guesses on a "Mystery Map" just there to fill the gap I would rather appreciate a clearer roadmap with time course : expect new thing for PC next year, for mac the year after... something like that. I don't expect details but rather orientations : yes with are working on a more efficient program with optimizations and a new engine rendering or at the opposite don't expect new engine but new features : (cloud trains or something like that !)
I personally expect improvement of speed and rendering correction of the many bugs and freezings as well as Trainz taking in charge dual screen... Just dreaming ! In other words before new revolutionary features I would like to just enjoy what we already have with the best potential !

So no guesses, if you, N3V, have something to announce do it ! Otherwise speculations and '?' + dotted lines, that doesn't help to be patient, believe me !!!

I don't think you'll see an exact timeline right now. This is marketing-speak which is outlining the product line but not when the products will be released. Auran previously had puzzles like this which were to bring the community together and figure out what was going on. It's all done in fun and it sure is. :)

Even though I've stayed out of the competition here, I can see a lot of great stuff happening and would like to add that I too interpret the purple line, which is same color as our commuter lines on the MBTA up where I live, as the PC version with perhaps two products. We will have TS1x with a bunch of routes and perhaps a routes add-on bundle.

I too would like the see the evolution of the program to include an updated game engine. Perhaps with a compatibility mode like TS2009 and pre SP4 TS2010. In this sense, this would allow us to continue to use our stuff as it is now with a push to the future with better performance, graphics, and other neat stuff.

Tony - I wish I could visit on Saturday, but Brisbane is a bit far from me. :)

John

Perhaps with a compatibility mode like TS2009 and pre SP4 TS2010.
Please not.
I would prefer an integration of something like AssetX to repair the content instead of a workaround...

Please not.
I would prefer an integration of something like AssetX to repair the content instead of a workaround...

That definitely would be wonderful as that would help us repair assets, perhaps as an auto-fix process, within the program instead of relying on tons of outside tools, bits, and pieces.

John

Excellent input so far guys - keep your suggestions coming.

Borovice - where would all the in life fun be if there was no speculation? This whole exercise is designed to garner increased interest for when we do actually spell out our roadmap - and that process begins Saturday 26th so not long to wait.

Regarding product releases, and timelines, I'm surprised more hasn't been made of the dotted Lines versus solid Lines.

It feels like when a band is about to release a new album and they release a few snippets of new tracks and a few song titles here and there and then, boom! I can't wait for this announcement, does certainly look as though the green line is the continuation of the PC versions meaning a new game to have fun with! Looking forward to the updates (TS14 here we come!)

:udrool::Y:

Might the solid purple line be Trainz Online, a sorta MMO-ish version?

The Star is probably Trainz 14 (or whatever the next mainline game is).

Could the dashed purple be new ad-dons. Idk Routes & Rolling Stock.

peter

Given TS Mac 2 is on a dotted branch, it would seem that the other dotted branches denote features that are planned but will be released somewhere down the track (pun unintended) either as new software or as service packs to TS14. So I guess TS14 (or whatever it will be called) must be a continuation of the Trainz Mainline with several new features included, and a bunch more to come. Not sure what the branched-dotted branch could refer to if it is closer to the YOU ARE HERE. I personally hope that Surveyor includes a bunch of new features (the ability to overlay a Google map image or import a DEM in-game would be wonderful).

Perhaps the long awaited (since about 2003) Boss Module is on it's way. :)

Without turning this into (yet another) buglist/wishlist, I would just be happy to see properly drawn (animated) points, better tunnels, locos that consume fuel by default and a decent GUI scenario/timetable editor with dispatcher to match it, running in a realistic looking environment. Oh and an end to splines jumping off fixed objects.

Otherwise difficult to get too excited if all TZ2014 is likely to offer is a slightly upgraded same old, same old. ;)

More explaining of Intro set ups on all products..There are a lot of people out there who would like to play Trainz..But they are not Computer Geru's..Like me..Your Trainz games are NOT User Friendly..

Back