New version of Trainz?

jeffmorris

Will there be a new version of Trainz? Train Simulator 2014 was released two days ago and I found out that it can load Google Maps into its route editor.

What aggravates me is that Railworks has a full page ad in Trains Magazine and they refer to the new Train Simulator 2014 as "TS14". They are trying so hard to make people believe THEY are Trainz.

No worries; I doubt we will see a new Trainz version this year, so "our" new Trainz game will probably be called Trainz15 (and Trainz2015, TS15 and TS2015 for that matter).

Check this out...
Don't have to, I've already updated TS2013 to TS2014. Most of the updates seem to be for route builders, for those who like 'career' mode and those who like graphical enhancements. No changes to the core of the program.

Still, it's a free upgrade. :)

I see nothing until the end that say anything about the competing product. I couldn't even tell who it was from until the name, and then the name series is tied with N3V. Shame on them for using the same naming series.

John

I wonder why they don’t call it Rail Simulator 2014, or RS2014, or RS14? It totally confuses me.

Anyway, whatever it’s called, I looked at some of the Steam Edition (more ambiguous confusion!) publicity material yesterday.

Two of the three promotional videos were interesting, but by no means earth shattering. Some of the in-game camera views and tracking angles looked great though, and weather effects looked quite believable.

The whole of the third video (jjqburch's link above) appeared to be real train footage from different countries.

Then I read the statements which appear in the credits at the end of each of the three videos. One states, “Some in-game footage enhanced during post-production.”

That implies that some real game footage was in the third video. I don’t think there was any at all.

It also, IMHO, must mean that what you will get in game will not look as good as the “enhanced” publicity imagery.

I wonder why they don’t call it Rail Simulator 2014, or RS2014, or RS14? It totally confuses me.

Anyway, whatever it’s called, I looked at some of the Steam Edition (more ambiguous confusion!) publicity material yesterday.

Two of the three promotional videos were interesting, but by no means earth shattering. Some of the in-game camera views and tracking angles looked great though, and weather effects looked quite believable.

The whole of the third video (jjqburch's link above) appeared to be real train footage from different countries.

Then I read the statements which appear in the credits at the end of each of the three videos. One states, “Some in-game footage enhanced during post-production.”

That implies that some real game footage was in the third video. I don’t think there was any at all.

It also, IMHO, must mean that what you will get in game will not look as good as the “enhanced” publicity imagery.

Casper,

I read this as vaporware at this point.

John

John,

We also have a superior sense of humour (I knew what you meant), as well as a better product and community.

All IMHO of course!

Cheers™
Casper
:)

I don't think you could copyright the words "Train" and "Simulator" and in any event Microsoft actually got in first with their title...

Nothing wrong with calling it TS2014, N3V call theirs TS12 so can hardly see scope for confusion.

The Google Earth update to assist with building routes in a real world projection is a major improvement (IMHO). While I'm not about to stop route building in Trainz* too, combined with the other features TS2014 has vs TS12 (decent looking points, scenarios etc.) the balance is shifting very much in its favour at the moment - unless N3V can pull a few rabbits out the hat with their next version.

* Trainz still has the edge when it comes to producing narrow gauge or tram/traction routes as these are poorly catered for in TS/RW.

It's difficult for it to be vapourware as it was released two days ago.

It still looks like marketing hype to me and I didn't know it was released already even though I belong to GameSpot.com and other game-related newsletters. Sadly all they did was make it pretty and ignore the more important things.

John

We have to admit that a direct projectio of Google Maps in Trainz would be perhaps the biggest step surveyor has ever done.
I wonder if we can have a .kzm coverter (.kzm to trainz route)

Back