RailSimulator.Com - Train Simulator 2014

I still can't get over the problems we end users had with the changeover from RW2 to RW3, my PAYWARE British locomotives developed texture problems, which the creator accepted but said he could do nothing about, which ultimately meant that I couldn't play with them on the new version, now, we're going to get another updated game in September, I wonder what problems that will cause the community, of course, RSC couldn't give a toss, as it's 3rd party content that gets broken, so, all the money you've spent gets wasted, and as for the recent offerings it's all plastic modern day stuff that the noobs are screaming out for to play on their Xboxes, that's not simulation that's gaming, and that's the way RSC are headed in future, so, quite a few veterans have already departed out of the back door in disgust, we've all been conned out of our money.

Nope, Trainz still offers so much more, operationally, and with the millions of freeware assets available, it'll be hard to be beaten.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Totally true, have to admit it

On the other side, they look to be following the Trainz Devs/N3V Steps. Resell the same game with a facewash and more old content. Both of them are heading to the graveyard, look at Run8 at his first steps, its getting better and better every update. What does Train and Railworks, into money, not quality. With that of "Career Mode", like if you were going to win something for driving trains in "Quick mode". A super PC to run a 200K train, in a 75K cab, with lights droping the FPS so good

No future for Trainz or Railworks/TS12-13-14

Ah yes but some newbies will fall into RW's trap meanwhile

Disagreeing with that. I'll take trainz and TS2014 over Run8 anyday. Run8 is advanced MSTS. I played MSTS when I was a ridiculous child sooo you know what that means..................................

Run 8 lacks even basic AI if you want to run in single player mode (giving Trainz its dues) and, while graphics aren't everything, looks like an early prototype of MSTS. The physics are to die for though and both N3V and RSC could do to be studying the implementation.

Run 8 lacks even basic AI if you want to run in single player mode (giving Trainz its dues) and, while graphics aren't everything, looks like an early prototype of MSTS. The physics are to die for though and both N3V and RSC could do to be studying the implementation.

About the AI. There is no need for it. Run8's MP is by far the best. It was built for MP. Adding AI would only be a step in the wrong direction for Run8. Also, Run8 looks WAY better then MSTS. You have to remember when looking at Run8 that only 4 people are working on the core game, and only part time. Unlike N3V and RCS that have 10+ people working on the core game full time.

But I think we are getting off topic here.

Yes but not everyone wants or is interested in MP. Even those who are may find there are times when the servers are quiet and running in SP mode with a decent quota of AI traffic offers more fulfilment.

About the AI. There is no need for it. Run8's MP is by far the best. It was built for MP. Adding AI would only be a step in the wrong direction for Run8. Also, Run8 looks WAY better then MSTS. You have to remember when looking at Run8 that only 4 people are working on the core game, and only part time. Unlike N3V and RCS that have 10+ people working on the core game full time.

But I think we are getting off topic here.

Which is why I said it looked like an advanced MSTS. Run8 is a shear 100% engineer perspective train sim. I personally do not like multiplayer, I don't need people who are running trains just to wreck them all the time. Running 5 trains at 1 time and within in the speed limits is a lot more fun than playing on multiplayer. Another thing that hurts Run8 is you seriously do have to pay for absolutely everything, and for me, $40 to pay for a game with just one single route is a bit pricey to me..... Railworks does have a freeware community, though it is A LOT smaller than trainz's, it is still there. I love my Train Simulator 2013 (Yep, I am one of those newbies that got caught in the trap), but its fun too! I really enjoy both Trainz and Railworks, so there is a pretty good chance if what Justin Calvin said is true about Railworks, then I will really enjoy Train Sim 2014. Each one has it advantages and not so great things about it. When it comes down to choosing one for you, the most important factor is YOU. You have to decide what you want, what you are looking for out of the sim, and go from there on what it can give you.

Hi Everybody.
I will be retiring on September 28 and as someone thinking of having more time for simulation games especially railway-based ones I will probably go for Railworks 14 as to me it always looks far more realistic than trainz. I did not buy trainz 12 as there did not seem to be enough improvements to warrant the purchase and at that point I did not have enough time to equally justify the expenditure.

However, I do not think we shall see any great improvements in either of the two major rail simulators due to the huge drop in the numbers of PCs being sold. The media report that sales of complete systems have dropped over 30% this year alone, with a total of nearly 50% in the last two complete trading years. To those who say “ah well, people build their own systems these days” then they only have to look at the trading results of component manufacturers such as Intel to realise that those manufacturers are not finding alternative markets in component retailers. Therefore, you have to ask what company is going to invest large amounts of money into further high-end PC software development based on the above figures.

The computer market has diversified away from just the PC and laptops over the last couple of years and into smartphones and tablets. There is also the huge growth in sales of smart TVs with the latest versions very much taking over many of the operations carried out by PCs which include full browser web surfing. I believe that any major developments in high end rail simulation will come through applications developed for those smart TVs. They certainly have the graphic capabilities to handle such work and with the latest models being multi-core they will surely have the ability to handle the processing if not now then in the very near future. The only problem I can see in the above is that the major manufacturers such as Samsung, LG and Sony all use different base operating systems.

It would be interesting to hear from those in power at N3V just how they see the future in the high end of their simulation gaming products.

Bill

Last edited:
Run 8 also suffers from what is diplomatically best described as a slightly odd mind-set of the dev team. When the programme first came out they had their own forums, but just one wrong word (including mention of or comparison to other sims) and you were out. Fault reports or feature requests were brusquely dismissed or the individuals making the feedback verbally abused by the devs. Even the game itself had what could be described as somewhat abruptly phrased pop up messages for any operating infraction. Most emphatically not the way to support a commercial product. Then a couple of months ago the official forum was summarily closed along with the knowledge that had been imparted and users left to find their way to other forums.

So despite the superior physics, I haven't really got much time at all for Run 8 preferring to spend my time in RW or Trainz (and residual MSTS).

Back