Error Checking / Non-Compatability

cascaderailroad

Two big questions

1) I wish to know what exactly is: "Compatability" (non-compatability).

2) And what is "Error Checking" all about.

I can understand why N3V "checks" uploaded assets for "Errors" before releasing them on the DLS ... but why does the actual "Game" check for errors ?

Why does the "Game" make an asset faulty, because of errors, and why does the "Game" decide that an asset in "Non-Compatable".

If I had TS12, I would want to be able to "Jerry Rig" (a nautical term for a temporary fix to a broken mast ie: "Injury Rigging") a non-compatable asset an get it to eventually work in TS12, why is this not possible ?

What is the real true purpose of "In Game" error checking, and non-compatability of assets ... why are these 2 process's needed "In Game" ?

The checks are needed to avoid the game crashing or being drastically affected due to faulty content - having it only for DLS uploads is not sufficient as some people don't upload to the DLS.

Shane

Mega BUMP, if an asset worked in UTC, 04, 06, 09, 10, 12, why is T:ANE so picky and check for errors ?

Why does faulty content cause T:ANE to crash ?

Why can't T:ANE be made to run faulty assets without crashing ?

UTC, 04, and 06 had no problems running them

It just seems that the more advanced Trainz versions got, the more things that will not run

If you ask me T:ANE is a bit highly over technical, and needs to be "Dumbed" down a notch or two

Open the pod bay doors Hal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkyUMmNl4hk

Last edited:
T:ANE is designed to catch these errors normally and will not normally allow faulty content to be used in-game however if an asset is seriously corrupted it can cause crashes.

In most cases the error checking is there to prevent major performance issues as a result of badly created content that has errors.

Shane

If you ask me T:ANE is a bit highly over technical, and needs to be "Dumbed" down a notch or two
I suspect that's exactly what has been done. T:ANE has been 'Dumbed down' by removing a lot of code that provided default values for missing settings, accepted multiple data formats, or checked for internal inconsistencies. This would have been done in the interests of performance - all part of the process of getting T:ANE to run smoothly with big layouts and complex assets. By moving this validity checking to CM and the DLS the game code can be simplified by assuming that the assets meet certain minimum standards to be able to be used. In fact, T:ANE copes very well with assets that conform to the standards of their day. The assets that are now getting flagged as faulty always were faulty, and needed the special processing available in earlier version in order to work at all.

The assets that are now getting flagged as faulty always were faulty, and needed the special processing available in earlier version in order to work at all.

The fact is that some creators in the past (and I do not want to seem critical) ignored the standards that existed back then and created faulty assets that are causing some of the problems we see today. In some cases, the standards have changed - like trying to put a VHS tape into a BluRay player - which has made some assets that worked well in vintage versions of Trainz fail or perform poorly in TANE. The Content Repair Group was established to deal with some of these issues where possible and they have done a remarkable job.

I have been installing a lot of older assets into Tane and have had very few real problems.
In most cases I just remove the part of the Config that causes the problem, that has no real effect on how it works, or I can wear the fact that certain things may not work exactly as designed.
One instance is the fact that Ben Neal's Steam cabin no longer works in Tane. I rarely drive trains in Cab Mode, so I just remove it. I could have replaced it but decided not to, that was my decision.
Another problem can be Missing Dependencies in a route. If I can't find it, after searching I just remove it, unless I know it is an important item. I will then find a similar replacement. and then sort out any problem due to that choice. I most cases it causes no problems.
This is the trade off for using older content.
I have only had one asset that gave me heaps of problems and I fixed that by going through the route and manually replacing it.
Cheers,
Mike

Back