Yesterdayz Trainz Group

I would like to thank David, DAP, for creating the J-Street Terminal route.

However there are some missing KUIDs as listed below that are missing.

Unknown Location: <kuid2:210518:4544:1>
Unknown Location: <kuid2:210518:4548:1>
Unknown Location: <kuid2:210518:4549:1>
Unknown Location: <kuid2:210518:4597:1>

Does anyone know where these are?

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

They are on the TPR site.
I'll be interested to know if you get the route and session working, it seems ts12 + SP1 and both hotfixes doesn't pick up all dependencies and even after hunting those down I can't get it to work.

Greetings from overcast Amsterdam,

Jan

Member Alert

Yesterdayz-Trainz members, emails are being sent out by me, but I'm not getting any replies. Are my emails being received?

Hmm, could it be something is wrong with your e-mail YT address?
I used it this afternoon and my mail came back with account not available, user unknown. :confused:
See our YT forum for details on this.

Greetings from nighttime Amsterdam,

Jan

I have decided to leave Trainz and Yesterdayz-Trainz. I'm not going to bad mouth anybody or complain about the Trainz community...let's just say I'm looking into another way to fill my train creative itch. Jananton, the Laurel Line Project is yours. Please feel free to finish the project if you want.

I have decided to leave Trainz and Yesterdayz-Trainz. I'm not going to bad mouth anybody or complain about the Trainz community...let's just say I'm looking into another way to fill my train creative itch. Jananton, the Laurel Line Project is yours. Please feel free to finish the project if you want.
Scott, you need to learn to communicate your needs. Throwing in the towel given your years-long determination, one might say, obsession to bring this model out with pride is just accepting failure--yet you are close to being done. What matter if there are another few months to populate missing buildings. The hardest part, as you've given us to understand it is already done. About ready for sessions, actually.

Consider, I've been monitoring that thread since the outset, so where is the list of things you needed built? The group was founded on a general idea of homage to the Pre-'65 railroading world and focus on education of others (not that you ever seemed all that interested in that topic), so expecting everyone to 'crowd into a project' that was under-weigh for several years is just plain silly. Where's the list of buildings you need made? The request for this this and this to be done as David put up about all the locos and rolling stock he needs on the Soo Line?

People aren't going to push in unless there is a plain need! So please reconsider leaving the group, even if you didn't found quite what you'd thought you were aiming for, as things have shaken out, we're a good bunch. You are right, it's time to put together a big project, but expecting everyone to react without due notice isn't going to happen; people need time to reorder priorities. Neither have you presented a concrete proposal for the Anthracite Route--in some ways you've danced around the meaning as well as Windwalkr dodges questions about poor performance... If you think the group has been less supportive than you hoped, you've been communicating your needs far less well than you think.

Jan, given your conjecture in emails Scott was feeling unsupported and disappointed that more people didn't step up to share the load of asset creation of public buildings and other prominent landmarks on the Laurel Line, why not do as he didn't and provide a to-do list with a line or so of description listing what needs done. I'm not sure how anyone could have helped unless asked. You all were so busy sending messages back and forth about this and that detail, it was easy to conclude things were handled and under control. // Frank

Guys

I joined 'cos I was attracted by the name and you were recommended to me as being in my line of interest. However, while my interests are in yesterday trains, I have no interest in standard gauge modelling, route building, or scenery asset creation. It looks as though I am a philistine among the believers, so please consider me a non-member, drum we out, whatever.

Thanks for having me, albeit briefly.

Peter

I have since move on to content creation in Railworks TS2014. While it's frustrating, it's also fun to learn something new. I can say that there will be no more groups for me...I'm strictly solo from this point on. Jan is in change of all my Trainz content. It's up to him if he want to finish and release the Laurel Line.

Hi Scott,

I am sorry to hear this and I agree with Frank and the others. There was little communication on what was needed to complete the route. Having spent a week down in your vicinity this August, I can see there is a lot of stuff that can be modeled ranging from prominent landmark buildings to basic but unique industries. From what we saw, we only scratched the surface of this amazing historically important region in our country.

I know this sounds like water under the bridge an eulogies for a lost friend, but seriously if you had let us know what you wanted we could have helped out.

I do wish you well with your new venture and I'm sure you will return back to Trainz some day as well. I too float between many different applications and programs and even step away from things. This is the great part of this being a hobby and not a career. You can stop doing whatever and whenever without being fired.

Take care,

John

What I wanted was for this group to communicate. I sent out an email to get the ball rolling...because nobody else did. Out of the roughly 30 members I got two reply emails back. I believe I sent out another email after that and got nothing back. The communication is not the problem on this end. As I told Jan, everybody want to be a part of something big here but nobody want to help make it big. Everybody wants to do there own thing...so be it. I hope that Jan releases the Laurel Line Project. Everybody that as seen the layout says it's a pretty good layout. Only the last mile or two into Wilkes-Barre is want's needed for that layout to be finished. I may start the project up in TS2014...I'm still thinking about it.

New business... Offer to do up a batch file system to update kuids groups

Opening some new business... we're underutilizing this thread.

Per the page 5 post in Content Manager & TANE thread, I've offered to write a general batch utility set to organize seperation of kuids. Here's that post:

Andi06 already covered the batch Idea, which I'd actually written initially (to change the settings file, not TrainzUtil's call) but abandoned with realization you'd have to go into the editor anyway...

You can try a plain old batchfile assuming the count.bat and counter.txt are located in the same directory the snippet below will get you stated. You see, INCREMENTING a counter is the issue. Saving a value in a file, and accessing it via a batch is very straightforward. I'm thinking one file to one range tracked value, 'counting the next available #'. Such can be bundled into one batch file with a menu, select/input 1 it's this, Select 2, it's that... If Powershell adds, you can add you can use that too since it's a kind of Super-DOS. Here's a one counter 'center of batch' solution, which can be further generalized with the NN menu items noted
:mad:echo off
for /f " delims==" %%i in (counter.txt) do set /A temp_counter= %%i+1
echo %temp_counter% > counter.txt I can scheme up a set of files to manage all this and others can copy if there is interest. I'll need a couple days to dust off the batch file cobwebs and test. Interested? Then post and answer below (ROLL CALL!) you'd like a general solution. // Frank

Last edited:
Frank

I think you may have the wrong slant on this. The problem at hand is that CM has a base count starter of 10,000 which it uses for all maps etc. Previous versions had this but the seed number was set in Trainzoptions so could be set well away from a creators content number system. What has been missing is the ability to alter this number, which has now been revealed by Shane and subsequently by Chris.

The initial need is a batch file accessed by a shortcut to re-set this number. Nothing more.

Refinements would be batch files that allow a creator to set this number according to the way he working. No need for incrementing (CM does that) and no need to search.

When TS12 first appeared the seed number was set at 1000, can you imagine the havoc that caused.

Peter

Frank

I think you may have the wrong slant on this. The problem at hand is that CM has a base count starter of 10,000 which it uses for all maps etc. Previous versions had this but the seed number was set in Trainzoptions so could be set well away from a creators content number system. What has been missing is the ability to alter this number, which has now been revealed by Shane and subsequently by Chris.

The initial need is a batch file accessed by a shortcut to re-set this number. Nothing more.
I don't think so Peter, Justin was clearly desiring to bundle asset kuid in some particular groups, which means he'd set aside 10,000s for one asset group, 11,000s for the next, and so on.

But on your point of 'What is needed' the shell I roughed in yesterday started with the option to take a given value ('index number' and 'SET THAT' specifically (Direct set Mode) using Andi's snippet from the batch, or enter the MENU, in which the user has predefine such groups and their respective index numbers. If you're happy using your memory to keep things straight, fine, but that's not totally safe in a system which increments to the next empty number. The system won't index wrongly, but your brain may, and the brain and fingers are poking a new value into the machine's reality... a horse of a different color.

Rather than risk overwriting said counter (index number), the MENU reset branching would increment the counter/index so 'poor little Justin' (feelthy money grubbing capitalistic icon) and others (perhaps less mercenary) doing this wouldn't inadvertently reuse an allocated index number.
When TS12 first appeared the seed number was set at 1000, can you imagine the havoc that caused.

Peter
I have no idea how TrainzUtil and CM would behave if one gave it a lower (same as one already created) index number than I actually wanted, but from your havoc comment, it overwrote assets, N'est pas? Same as I saw importing my seven years of TRS2006 routes into a newer Trainz--but one where I'd played a bit first--so those modified cloned routes and sessions got overwritten when I brought in the older stuff, right?

Predictably GIGO--Computers do exactly what we humans tell them, which is why I'd planned on incrementing the index number of each group where asset creators can get to it and reset it as needed. The only way to introduce some (less fallible) non-human-memory reliant firebrakes into the scheme, is to increment a counter --that can also be reset as needed. (Hmmm, I'll have SP1 add the batch ability to reset those index for each to a specific value too! Imagination/experience tells me that will be needed by someone!)

That's bullet proof programming in intent & experience, but where I'm lacking a full toolset for checking whether the new number is reusing the old--a feedback loop to prevent overwriting. (Really need that Do you really mean this CM question, don't we!) Does CM/TrainzUtil give a way to do that automatically? Perhaps the exit code is a particular "ERRORLEVEL" in batch sensing ability. If it returned a value saying that kuid has been used, then a loop can re-query and keep doing so until there was the code saying "THIS ONE IS UNUSED"--which after all is what everyone wants as a MININUM--but Justin and some others also want Groups by type asset, if I truly understand.

(Thought -- Perhaps TANE CM can start a cloud track of used kuids by content creators, and then one could (with patches to other older TrainzUtil or CM's dll's [should be easy and cheap patch to make--they could fix a few other bona-fide bugs at the same time!]) avoid using kuids already allocated.)

To be safest, if it were my batch facility and I were using this method, I'd increment by say +5, +11 or +15, so CM and I could create a few assets along with the next one before and without the batch being used. (Since I'm still some months away from 3D modeling learning curve climbs, I have only theory and imagination/conjecture to guide me now. However, changing the index count increment in a batch is something you guys can do! You change config.txt files forsooth!) One guy likely has this practice and work habits, and one guy that. Trying to cover all the bases unlike..., but like the 'new improved "HTH" Windwalkr' to be HTH us all, if I can!

Refinements would be batch files that allow a creator to set this number according to the way he working. No need for incrementing (CM does that) and no need to search.
Now I may misunderstand how TrainzUtil is using the input... but I'd assumed the index number was the base count 'yyy' in <kuid2:xxx:yyy:0> dumbly indicating the last number used by 'xxx'. CM/CCP then increments that to 'yyy+1' and allocates the new folder, config.txt and so forth 'setting up the next item created', is it not so? Worst case. double incrementing, so kuids jump by 'yyy+2' -- who cares?

Poking a value then requires a incremented 'offline index counter' to stay in step... and avoid those nasty overwrites. [One reason in fixing assets I keep a plain file (..\editing\foldername) copy when repairing--I can then modify the trainz-build and the kuid to suit myself (and import the fixed one into TS09, 10, or 12). in those copies I prefix the TB ('2-9') and suffix the kuids "2-5 bridge stone 1t (kuid_-1_110000)" as an old paranoid programmer would! But the same safety net I'd certainly use if creating new. Easier to steal the guts for some other new asset, that way for starter, and backup source code is a comfort to us old paranoid programmers! N3V's programmers may learn that someday and spawn a fixed config.txt keeping the original as a backup. I still don't believe they deleted commenting in files!!!! Boggles the mind! // Frank

TrainzUtil setnextcontentid 10000 followed by generatekuid returns the first vacant kuid after the seed provided, on my machine it returns <kuid:122285:10027>

So (provided that CMP knows about all of your existing assets) all you need to do is to call this with the seed you want and reset it afterwards to the default range which CMP is using for routes and sessions.

Last edited:
I think we are looking at the problems with different eyes.

History>. TS12 come out and immediately started overwriting all my early content. Why, because a programmer assumed that I would have all my content in CM, it wasn't there so the number was reused. I pointed ths out and it was changed to the current value, but still ignoring that others may be using numbers in the new auto number series.

So (provided that CMP knows about all of your existing assets)

Andi has hit that nail. How do we tell CM what numbers we have used, short of finding and loading every scrap of content fro 2001 onwards. What we can do and my post provided for this, we set that number where, we the creators, decide we don't intend to go. A quick way out of a problem that should not have been created if the implications had been considered.

The entry in trainzoptions worked right until it was changed for no apparent reason. Andi's point about 'generatekuid' solves the problem with my suggestion to use 'setnextcontentid' with different shortcuts. Add that to the batch file and nothing in the new series gets overwritten, a problem that dawned on me abour five this morning.

Peter

How do we tell CM what numbers we have used, short of finding and loading every scrap of content fro 2001 onwards.
You can actually do this by creating an archive and adding the archive file to CMP. You don't need to actually install the assets. Still a PITA but possible.

Andi

You are correct, a PITA and why bother when you can use this:-

Ten minutes to write the batch file, make a shortcut and run it. The problem has been pushed right out of the way, it no longer exists.

Code:
trainzutil setnextcontentid 12345

I've just tried this and as you found, it works well, so using several number series is easy and does not overwrite the first value each time.

Correction. I find that selecting the next availble number is built into the setnextcontentid code, using generatekuid misses a number, jumping to the next one up.

Peter

Last edited:
Andi

You are correct, a PITA and why bother when you can use this:-

Ten minutes to write the batch file, make a shortcut and run it. The problem has been pushed right out of the way, it no longer exists.

Code:
trainzutil setnextcontentid 12345

I've just tried this and as you found, it works well, so using several number series is easy and does not overwrite the first value each time.

Correction. I find that selecting the next availble number is built into the setnextcontentid code, using generatekuid misses a number, jumping to the next one up.

Peter
Ok, I see I missed the fourth line here the other day:
Create a Windows batch file called GetKuid.bat with these lines

...\Trainzutil.exe setnextcontentid %1
...\Trainzutil.exe generatekuid
...\Trainzutil.exe setnextcontentid 10000

calling GetKUID 20000 will then return the next available KUID after 20000 and then reset auto KUID generation in CMP to 10000.

You can define calls to this with varying parameters as AssetX tools.
Which simplifies things so the incrementing is unneeded and can just be a fixed base value. A thousand pardons for reading that too fast, but the words I bolded are rather important in this... but so is the timing given the same command used in the first and third lines... which I also missed with these danged cursed eyes of mine. (I'd thought I saw three different commands.) What does the generatekuid actually do for you then?

Can I infer it creates a new asset folder with the three or four lines just like [CTRL]-[N] does in CM?

Ahhhhh, reading back a bit further, I was perhaps under the undue influence of my 3-4 am skype buddy Paul Cas:
"The problem, as I see it, is that the number series for categories needs to be preserved somewhere. So any application, written in Powershell, or whatever, would need to refer to some data storage. That would not be difficult to develop.

But I would strongly suggest that incorporating that capability in AssetX would be an ideal solution. AssetX already keeps a next clone id for use when you invoke the Clone Asset command. That value is simply saved in the AssetX.ini file.
"
(So sorry Paul, but I can't blame this one on Windwalkr--have to blame you or John. Flip a coin?)

You can actually do this by creating an archive and adding the archive file to CMP. You don't need to actually install the assets. Still a PITA but possible.

OK, you guys have all the experience on this (which is it's own PITA!), and while interesting in an intellectual way, it's the weekend and experimenting is not something I've time to do. None of this is anything I anticipate needing until summer and hope to start building some Blender assets. Was willing to set up a batch for the non-initiated, and am always interested in helping others, particularly with knowledge or techniques... so:
  1. Was I wrong thinking Justin wanted to set ranges for asset types? (See Ish and Norfolksouthern37 here) on the CM & TANE thread?
  2. Do I understand from the above you only need command the same fixed base number for each asset type M,N,O,P,Q,R,S...,Z which means I only need to write a batch for them with a menu with a selection and the single output?
  3. What happens if they run such with 3-5 batch calls for menu item 2, 4, 6 and 9 ... Do they get four folders username unknown asset build unknown kuid and not much else.
  4. Oops! Did get some late time to experiment before closing this... (BUT! Hmmm... Ran from the command line after creating two from CM and got nothing, nothing open for edit, nothing in ..\editing.
  5. Hmmm-2 quit CM, 1hr later reloaded, then using [CTRL]-[N] to generate a new asset and Like Peter, I found CM had a skipped number in the series, 100033 is missing in my series ...31-34.
So where would that ...\Trainzutil.exe generatekuid create anything?
// Frank

Back