Yesterdayz Trainz Group

You can use any of mine from tutorials on the TrainzDev WiKi or from Photobucket http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/casper131/library/?sort=3&page=1 I only post stuff there for Trainz purposes.

Cheers

Thanks Paul, but therein lies the rub.

I can't put up your images at the moment. Particularly if they are already on the web. Don't know how, but they've got tools to ferret out stuff that from their point of view--may have been stolen, and the copy right holder is getting ripped off. See the next conversation down from... http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Village_pump/Copyright#I_need_some_pre-check_off_help ... for just such a case. That poor fellow, a professional sports photog, has had more stuff deleted than has stayed. He didn't and doesn't know the mindset and culture, so doesn't know how to fight it... Which is what likely happened to the 'Trainz Wikibook phase I' images... (noticeably absent)

If you follow the link to see the conversation there, find the discussion on Agency. In time, I can act as an agent for anyone in the group provided we jump through all the proper hoops. I assumed that I'd be sparing a lot of the more senior members by providing editorial and agency services. Getting a coherent text with images is the stumbling block, not where to put them, once we get the nod on showing a screenshot using an Auran/N3V backdrop. Do notice the little bit about Notepad and MS Windows. Crazy point of view.

The screenshots I've created are admissible by me, and with trial suggestion by one of the copyright police herself, they won't immediately be challenged and disappear.

Feel free to go to the commons and to the Wikibook and log in, and then add to the Wikibook, Images should be uploaded to the commons. On the tutorials and images... my gut tells me this will stick, since I approached them first. Supporting international languages and having an international following are huge pluses. By the way, in my wiki career (sic), I think I've pal'd around with more of you Brits than anyone else!

Have a good day, I'm for bed!

Frank

For regular Portal managment I use the "QuickPortalManagerV3" rule by pguy it is very flexable you can do schedules/times for your trains, they do have to be consists. iPortals are not hard to use and a fun feature is you can send yourself trains to populate a saved session on another route. There is a rule you can use for in session configuration "Panel Selector Rule". It puts a small icon on your screen and when you click it the iPortal manager appears and you can change setting on the fly. The biggest thing about iPortals is you have to have the equipment preloaded in CM otherwise the train will not spawn on the receiving end. Not like MP iPortals will not look for missing kuids.

For regular Portal management I use the "QuickPortalManagerV3" rule by pguy it is very flexible you can do schedules/times for your trains, they do have to be consists. iPortals are not hard to use and a fun feature is you can send yourself trains to populate a saved session on another route. There is a rule you can use for in session configuration "Panel Selector Rule". It puts a small icon on your screen and when you click it the iPortal manager appears and you can change setting on the fly. The biggest thing about iPortals is you have to have the equipment preloaded in CM otherwise the train will not spawn on the receiving end. Not like MP iPortals will not look for missing kuids.

Ahem, don't ya just love Jargon and specialized Lingo!?? Thanks for the answer Ken, but remember I'm really pretty cherry when it comes to the forums here or talking about Trainz to other Trainzerz -- esp. one's used to talking about such to each other in acronyms like MP ... which I confess, leaves me clueless. Scared am I, I suspect I got the rest of this:

1. "QuickPortalManagerV3" rule by pguy it is very flexible you can do schedules/times for your trains, they do have to be consists.
    1. OK I can sort DLS for pguy's stuff and find the "QuickPortalManagerV3" rule... the way you phrase that,
    2. Since you didn't mention anything else, it must script modify the basic two portals of TRS2006 family of releases, and not be a separate asset (industry) on the DLS.
    3. Please nod if I got it, re-post a spanking if I misinterpreted...
  2. iPortals are not hard to use and a fun feature is you can send yourself trains to populate a saved session on another route.
    1. I like that, and can see that would allow Rebecca to take her many seasons and time jumps trips...
    2. but which session would you start and save first, 2nd, 3rd? You'd have to boot them and save each, before imailing a train back to the other session and then re-transitioning into each --wouldn't you?
    3. In other words, if you're waiting on one layout for something you never sent yet from another layout... it's going to be a long wait.... (Anybody got a cluestick???)
    4. This would be fun with a group using skype though all driving/dispatching at the same time and grumbling 'cause you haven't sent on those aluminum billets or coal, et. al.
  3. There is a rule you can use for in session configuration "Panel Selector Rule". It puts a small icon on your screen and when you click it the iPortal manager appears and you can change setting on the fly.
    1. 'Panel Selector Rule' an update of a TRS2006 rule of the same name? Could be the same, since I've never activated any iPortals of the few I've placed, but that danged name seems familiar as hell...
    2. The biggest thing about iPortals is you have to have the equipment preloaded in CM otherwise the train will not spawn on the receiving end. Not like MP iPortals will not look for missing kuids.
      1. OK you mean CM is Content Manager, and since I'm used to the T'06 lingo, I'd have used CMP (CM Plus).
      2. Pre-loaded meaning... Charlie can't send me a consist with rolling stock I don't have in my CMP, err CM... err have a data base with "binary knowledge of" <my lingo too> <BSEG>
    3. The bold(ed) part just can't be parsed into any semblance of comprehensible translated thought by my all too feeble Polack Brain ... or HUH? <choking noises>
  4. Thanks Ken!

• TO ALL, Let's keep some whitespace in our text... you know, make paragraphs... we don't want Mz. Dragonbreath to make us write on the blackboard after school about how paragraphs are used to separate different topics, or different thoughts on an greater theme...
  • now do weee weee weeeee? (Whew)

Grumble (Is there a frickin hotkey for indenting and outdenting a para???)
Frank

Just a general note, the GROUPS notice board seems to have spawned multiple forked topics ... which seem to not generate notifications they exist at all. I got nada about a slew of posts there yesterday and before I last looked, and Ted and I initialized the board. Those I'm subscribed to, so see in notices... if someone is spawning new ones... gonna be a whole lot of missed postings going on. SO suggest stay here for discussions...

F

The forums at Yesterdayz Trainz are up and ready, we're are still missing about 10 people that have not yet signed up.

The problem with that, is it's not here. We have a choice, we're either part of this society operating openly as a sub-group or a cabal, a secret society, possibly working at cross purposes to that of the whole society. It's a very very important group decision, and not to diminish Ted's hard work, a web site off Auran.com for things that can be hosted here is not a right and proper way to go. Hence I'm still looking for why the rush to a web site for the group at all, and ever. A place to hotlink pictures and screenshots, perhaps. Fixes for kuids, sure. For day to day business... that creates a different society, one not centered here in open forum.

Frank

Frank, I think each forum serves it's own purpose. Personally, I'm into cabals, politics and pandering. :cool: I think it adds character and depth to any group of personalities!:Y:

The problem with that, is it's not here. We have a choice, we're either part of this society operating openly as a sub-group or a cabal, a secret society, possibly working at cross purposes to that of the whole society. It's a very very important group decision, and not to diminish Ted's hard work, a web site off Auran.com for things that can be hosted here is not a right and proper way to go. Hence I'm still looking for why the rush to a web site for the group at all, and ever. A place to hotlink pictures and screenshots, perhaps. Fixes for kuids, sure. For day to day business... that creates a different society, one not centered here in open forum.

Frank

Brought this into the light from the Groups ill-advised separate web board:

Lead in... Mixed quotes by davesnow and myself, fabartus
davesnow wrote:
Well, I don’t know what I’m doing half the time any more… I know the website is work in progress, but I am hoping the addition of my assets will generate more interest in Yesterdayz Trainz from the regular Trainz community.
Dave Snow

Frank replied, 1st visit browsing new site up just a few days since the end of last weekend...
On that, I think having special stuff only available to us in the group is the wrong direction, how ever kindly it is meant. As I said in the main forum, which you all seem to have fled for yet another place to check, we are either forming a secret society, a cabal of sorts, hiding in this forum, or are part of the greater society, acting in service to the whole. (This post.) [BTW, no preview? Really?]
I’m into the open and up front, not skulking in shadows so others wonder what we’re up to. I strongly believe we ought to insist on server storage space for whatever needs stored, not depend on someone who might die tomorrow. Accidents happen, so do heart attacks and strokes and cancers… I originally composed a longer more detailed objection, set it aside, rechecked after 2 days, set aside a revision, but take Dave’s point as a simple focus. If we want to be noticed, we have to be noticeable. This is hiding in the woods, not marching in a band playing the picalo, much less the Drums.

Secondly, I’ve had two people contact me about wanting to join, which I’d forwarded in the emails. Cassandrailroad (? The gal with the pics) and Chicken-something, iirc. And perhaps a third. What’s the story on membership? I can see wanting a few discrete ‘meeting’ discussions here, such as perhaps voting on membership, but our everyday business belongs in the light, not behind a locked door.

No offense to you Ted, and I appreciate how hard you must have worked to get this up this quick. I’ve seen my son doing such for nine years now. Caught me totally by surprise, this BB did, following on so close to Scott’s opening of thread over there on Auran.com, but… Still don’t see why any website is needed at all. Among other problems, we’ve yet another set of formatting tools and limitations to master, no prev and next thread, but worst of all, it’s backwards from the educational mission.

If this were a group solely focused on gaining talent for a major route build, it would be apropos, perhaps. I’m not sure how and why I got invited, save I answered Scott’s post one day looking for help with his LVWRR route–and that was likely a stale thread. But the thing that sucked me in was the train-people-up and educate down sides of this group. If that isn’t the mission, or we’re going to implement it selfishly, I’m not comfortable spending family time here frankly, making the wife less pleased with me. Bad enough when I’m world building or driving or debugging a session. At least we can talk. Messaging like these BB’s takes up a lot of eye strain and energy, to be thoughtful and give your best always does. So is this the right place for us to hang, if we want to attract others? To me the answer is an obvious no.

Best wishes,
Frank
By LWVRR of both sites...
April 30, 2013 at 3:57 pm #448 Quote

LWVRR
Participant

A few things here.
1- Downloads- The downloads here are not just for us, that is what dropbox is for. The downloads are to bring people here to see what we’re working on.
2- Our Forum- This is a place for use to discuss our thoughts and ideas about creating older content in Trainz. We are not hiding in the shadows, we are suppose to be people with similar interest.
3- New Members-there has been some people (Cascaderailroad, Dricketts) I requested info from and they never replied back to me. I can only assume that they changed there mind about joining. New folks need to send an email to Yesterdayz-Trainz@comcast.net if they want to join.
Frank says:
My response, albeit NOT the one I can't relocate for the moment...

I asked several times for the web site story and justification, and if I can find the time, perhaps I'll get a glimpse by vetting through the emails you were so adamantly opposed to stringing into a public discussion. That debate is also waiting paste up on one hard drive or the other, but I've been focused on my own needs solely because I respected that email from you. Doesn't mean I agreed in any way, but I had no idea we were about to leave the mother site and come to this one. I was planning to renew that discussion publicly is all, but I continue to have my tower crashing, the wife up in arms, and personally, had to table it for a few days for real life. This laptop threw in a glitch or two as well. Today, now is inconvenient too. But that's life, curve-balls and sliders and a zinger or two just off the plate that tempts one.
(Continued, 5000 chars limit!)

Reply continued: of http://forums.auran.com/trainz/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=100965
Why all that initial discussion was by email was the first mistake. Except for the personal bios, there is nothing I've seen that shouldn't be public.

IMHO, all you've done in creating this site is to ISOLATE the group from the community we're trying to serve and grow. You want to attract moths, don't hide the lantern under a basket. People with similar interests will find us, be directed to us, if we're having your discussions on the main boards. Why is there any need to have them off site at all? Just start a thread, and link it back to the main conversation thread and on the group BB pages... I have no intention of spending precious leisure time chasing 45-60 different topics threads. I have a life outside of messaging.

You've (And who is 'you', a sub-sub-group apparently, is even murky!) further complicated the lives of those of us who are busy, and/or challenged by age and infirmities by having incompatible edit and effects tools. I have no idea whether I've clicked the get notices button half the time, and it's certainly generating such far more often than my preferred daily summary mode, [Another wished for feature there Ted!] when I do manage to remember clicking the danged thing. There's no thread read already indication I can see either... though that is more a newsreader feature I guess. I don't recall. [Ted, there a news reader that is compatible with this package?]

As I've said elsewhere on the site, there are only a couple of features, resource provisions, that make sense to me for it to exist as a resource site at all. A separate outside the greater community chat site is not one of them, for I certainly have nothing, have seen nothing, can imagine nothing... I feel we need to hide but the biographies.

Links repository, Pictures and assets repository, sure. Makes sense, especially if a picture has an uncertain copyright like some of Rebecca's mentions. Sharing those in private is apropos, but the day to day communications are and should be a matter on the normal Auran.com public forums. Putting up and polishing tutorials is again the wrong place.

All respect to the hosts of and such individual's sites in general like a Ted's and Shane Turners, but they aren't backed up servers serving all the world like Wikimedia's rooms of such. The lag is noticeable as hell when I saw I was the only one there... what will it be like with 25 at the same time? These are not trivial considerations...

Getting Auran.com to host images and let us add tutorials is another way to go. Ditto for screaming until we have them improve their group (afterthought) facility and design. I was intending to address that this week some time with them. I was even kicking around sending a snail mail to emphasize the points. IMHO, that's really a duty of theirs, as we're trying to spur a resurgent growth that will redound to their cashflow and bottom line. Bad business to not help us help them.

But the bottom line is simple, Cabal off in a private world, or do business as a sub-community of the greater community. I just hope to hell, we in our organization hold the necessary posts and one liners down to the zip range. Keep them in a substantive answer post, sure. But don't bother people with undisciplined chit chat. Use Skype or IMing or email for that one on one.

That's where I stand, public sub-group of this society, or separate group and a different society. You can't have it both ways. I suggest we kick this around for a few days -- so everyone at least acknowledges the discussion has been seen and posts their own opines and all that, then have a vote on where we're going to live come say Saturday night to Monday morning USA zones, deadline, Noon for Jan. By then we all email our vote to the whole group and we'll all be able to tally the thing up.

Best regards,
Frank

For the record:

#1 website is backed up daily to my email and yesterdayztrainz@comcast.net
#2 I don't think you'll find any group that holds it's internal discussions here - there isn't anywhere to do so.
#3 I find it amusing that the one member who consistently makes posts that are 15 to 20 times the length of anyone else states "I have a life outside of messaging".
#4 I contacted N3V about a subforum here, they said only if we wanted be a partner, IE JointedRail. JR is a great outfit and makes some damn fine stuff, but that isn't where we are (or at the time were) headed.

RE: the website

#1 NO files will be hosted on it - it will link to where-ever they are hosted. I feel that links there should connect to content on the DLS, via trainz:// links that invoke the Content Manager automatically.
#2 It is my vision that, Tutorials go on the website, Information goes in the Trainzwiki, Help goes in the Auran Forums, Internal Group Discussions go on the website forums.
#3 I'm not paying for anything beyond what I already spend on my webhosting - ever. I've seen this come up a couple times now and my vote is nothing doing.

frogpipe;1144410RE: said:
the website

#1 NO files will be hosted on it - it will link to where-ever they are hosted.

Okay. That's fair enough to me and doesn't bother me at all. I will withdraw my assets and upload them to the DLS.

Cheers, :)

Dave

Last edited:
Sometime in the next few days, I'll get some of my own links up to serve as a "template" of sorts.

IMHO, all you've done in creating this site is to ISOLATE the group from the community we're trying to serve and grow. You want to attract moths, don't hide the lantern under a basket. People with similar interests will find us, be directed to us, if we're having your discussions on the main boards. Why is there any need to have them off site at all? Just start a thread, and link it back to the main conversation thread and on the group BB pages... I have no intention of spending precious leisure time chasing 45-60 different topics threads. I have a life outside of messaging.

Frank, we can do this with or without you. This is suppose to be a group for people to have fun with and all you seem to do is complain about everything. Your taking this way to seriously. If you feel that this group is not for you then it's time for you and Yesterdayz Trainz to part ways. Note- I'm posting this here because everything I seems to post ends up here.

For the record:
#1 website is backed up daily to my email and yesterdayztrainz@comcast.net

Good luck with that, we're up to 500+ posts in just a few dayz... //F

#3 I find it amusing that the one member who consistently makes posts that are 15 to 20 times the length of anyone else states "I have a life outside of messaging".
I'll grant you the irony, but that was because I was excited and taking time off from real life... after four months of 16 hour days of 'Tax season'.
I'll continue to be thoughtful, and when necessary compose an occasional long answer, but I think you'll find the average length will be more like this paragraph once things 'socket into a routine' //F

For the record:
#2 I don't think you'll find any group that holds it's internal discussions here - there isn't anywhere to do so.

• That's likely true, but also one reason I don't want to abandon the mother culture. I'm just starting to get a handle on how this site is organized, and find my way around day to day. With the eyes... I've been offline everywhere mostly since 2009!
  • I prefer to fix things, in a phrase, not gimmick a run around. Do recall, I'd also penned we ought to confront management with a slew of requests for a home, since everything we're planning per the emails and your board, is going to benefit them (both long and short runs), by making Trainz an easier hurdle to master, it's a daunting learning curve if you look at it as a fresh user sees it.
  • A perfect example is my last email to you about the thumbs and thumbnails post on our groups private board... Auran.com could and should host a link set to have people fixing a kuid to the new enforced thumbnails needs people could use as a resource, indexed by kuid and asset name. They 'broke' the old content, with the new enforcement, so should provide the community a place for all of us to make fix ups of that kind. I bet you could put that together for them in a few hours...
  • As currently edited, so far as I've poked around, the N3V wiki is geek-speak on steroids, and poorly utilizes Wikimedia technology. In short almost useless to a newbie. It puts me off, (as a computer engineer!) but I keep trying to mine it. //F

For the record:
#4 I contacted N3V about a subforum here, they said only if we wanted be a partner, IE JointedRail. JR is a great outfit and makes some damn fine stuff, but that isn't where we are (or at the time were) headed.
This seems to be one of those vision things... which is why I called the question and conference.
What are we doing that wouldn't allow some kind of partnership. Are we talking about a nebulous route for later inclusion as new material... why the heck not. A compliment.
Are we talking about access to edit and extend the N3V wiki, great. It needs dumbed down with new user friendly articles, and tutorials.
Are we talking Video tutorials (Scratching my head how to show extending a board and matching terrain look see and feel in text and just snaps... John and I were kicking that around yesterday. To my surprise, Wikimedia commons will take those, if we juggle things right. (e.g. Cant' show Microsoft applications--any). They're anal about it, so an image of Windows or Windows Notepad.exe editing a config.txt file highlighting a certain field is (as I understand it NOW and today) off the table, but a screenshot showing the GNU licensed Notepad+ should be okay, Ditto Paint.exe and coresponding GIMP.exe images... I'm on that (slowly), and will advise //F
RE: the website

#1 NO files will be hosted on it - it will link to where-ever they are hosted. I feel that links there should connect to content on the DLS, via trainz:// links that invoke the Content Manager automatically.
#2 It is my vision that, Tutorials go on the website, Information goes in the Trainzwiki, Help goes in the Auran Forums, Internal Group Discussions go on the website forums.
#3 I'm not paying for anything beyond what I already spend on my webhosting - ever. I've seen this come up a couple times now and my vote is nothing doing.

#1 blows my thoughts out of the water, seems a best use kind of thing to me.
#2 I'm fine on, assuming we can get access there to expand and extend it's utility, but the Wikibook is better for some longer things, or at least should be a second place for tutorials.
#3 Don't know where you veered there on $$$, but
a) the only paying I've suggested was for all of us to give you and the TransDEM designee (whoever spends the time to process (long number crunch there, but only rendered once as I understand Dr. Zieglar) the Geo-data into a base route board set... so a group sharing expense for those two HDD assets (say they're a good quality external SATA [or is it more properly ESATA as external?] terabyte drive) and one more Solid State one that can be mailed in a pinch to be held by someone else that is a TransDEM master to hold as fireproof backup.
b) I'd find it wholly appropriate if we the group chose to compensate you for wear and tear on your HDD and a stipend for electricity on your hosting as well. Think I said that on one or another 'Opus'. <G>
c) The domain name and external hosting on servers are just technical issues I (1) didn't suggest, but noticed the lack of google success about, (2) would be nice, but is a group decision, and like my feelings on the website, were topics and discussions that should have been on a thread here (3) bypassing all that surge of emails for all of us.​
TO sum up:

1. I don't have a problem moving out of a shanty into a real house if the shanty can't be fixed up, but strongly felt the discussion about the shanty fix up should be held where the Landlord can learn from his bad practices.
  2. Then again, I've imbued a bit of the wiki culture that all decisions are and should be by consensus, and apologize for that blind spot, for what it's worth -- that I overlooked that this culture may have become tired of asking the Landlord for fixups.
  3. I'm good at world building, but with the eyes, this and any web site are foreign territories for me these days.
  4. We all agree the 1000 character group 'board' and lack of threaded reply to quotes is totally inappropriate, N3V should have a clear idea as to why, and the visibility there and here as going to be vastly different.
  5. I understand and agree that some of what we discuss is inappropriate here, but that suggests still to me most of what we discuss should and could be kept here, taxing your upkeep and oversight solely to things needed to be discussed on Yesterdayz Trainz, in short, all I've said is we need to group discusss and group organize ourselves in a sustainable, simplest way as much as possible.
  6. I think Noel brought the (Policies and discussion thread) point up (off topic) on the group board after my post to Johns route musings. I'd urge you to aggressively police (moving things, as I posted by email this AM after zzzzz's) such to the right place, while we work out the kinks. I had no clue this morning as to how to start a thread there this morning when I found time to wander in after 2 AM...
  7. We still need a good repository for references, fixes, Tips and Tricks for newbies and so forth like my 'thumbs resource idea' -- some site that won't make things disappear and break any links we make in the long run. One obvious one is the inadequate so called 'group' board, and we should all think on short snippets, links to tools and so forth that will benefit all the community and start a specific thread there soon. John and I have been kicking that around on the phone a lot.
  8. Wikibooks and Wikimedia commons will preserve any content actually used but other screenshots and especially pics might be treated for review on relative merits -- on a case basis and challenged--but there I know the process and will likely prevail; particularly any content on another Wikimedia hosted educational project like the Trainz Wikibook is something of a solid trump card. Only copyright violations would really be questioned. Blank unannotated master images (I'm adding 'in image annotations' in some planned tutorials) and any public domain or GNU licensed image that we generate, as such for tutorials should be fine, and I think that is a likely acceptable way forward. (There is no BEST in that sentence! <g>)
  9. I'm leery of the permanency of hotlinking to any image (as are needed here) on hosting sites, but as a not-very-often-photographer most of my life, I'm probably an old fuddy duddy on that fashion and trend. As a dad, I was into 8mm tapes. I regret that actually. Frankly didn't even know such existed before this week, the family went to texting and Facebook back in the begining, and business contacts don't send junk-email. Just can't guarantee to the satisfaction of my mind such sites are stable enough and won't vanish tomorrow. I've been known to be wrong before (once at least!), LOL.
  10. Likewise, I have astonishment U-Tube and 'Reality TV' are such going concerns. So I have my blind spots as my best friend practically lives there and has for some years now. Others can't wait for the next reality program. Shrug. I just paste in a forwarded url if I get one and ... shrug. Different strokes for different folks.
Real Life is busy. There are always too many demands on my time. // F

Frank, we can do this with or without you. This is suppose to be a group for people to have fun with and all you seem to do is complain about everything. Your taking this way to seriously. If you feel that this group is not for you then it's time for you and Yesterdayz Trainz to part ways. Note- I'm posting this here because everything I seems to post ends up here.

I think I got this covered with my response to Ted. I'm not complaining, per se, but trying to serve both the community and the sub-community by getting a group consensus on how we are self organizing. I'm not trying to step on any one's toes, but establish joint decision making and a common vision.

• Why most of our discussions are inappropriate here is still a question unsatisfactorily addressed. Some glimpse of BAD LANDLORD is coming through
  • I'm quite delighted with the group overall, but it's all these fiddly bits of group organization that need a common background, so sorry if you think I'm agitating, I'm trying to contribute relative to a long view, and raise things to consider and discuss so all are aware, is all.
  • Once there is a clear consensus, we go forward, clearly organized with a trail of why we're doing things this or that way.
  • There's never been anything personal, if you think about it. I could point out some of us seem to be most inclined to a big initial project and never mention the educational service end. Others seem solely now to be mainly focused on asset creation, which is fine as those are being offer to all. (Thanks Dave Snow!)
  • When you come down to it, I'm merely trying to get us all on the same page and plan and organize my life and summer. Not all that complicated. //F

• When you come down to it, I'm merely trying to get us all on the same page and plan and organize my life and summer. Not all that complicated. //F
Just a little gloat... google Yesterdayz Trainz. My 'signature ploy' has arrived with links! //F

Thank you, Ted for setting this into stone. This is a nice use of the resources. The tutorials don't necessarily have to be posted on the YzTZ website either. Wikimedia can be used for that. Although, I would like to see some nice documents for tutorials that can be easily printed out for the users to have. There's nothing like having a printed document when doing stuff like this. I have something else to think about while traveling these next couple of weeks. :)

John

I think I got this covered with my response to Ted. I'm not complaining, per se, but trying to serve both the community and the sub-community by getting a group consensus on how we are self organizing. I'm not trying to step on any one's toes, but establish joint decision making and a common vision.

• Why most of our discussions are inappropriate here is still a question unsatisfactorily addressed. Some glimpse of BAD LANDLORD is coming through
  • I'm quite delighted with the group overall, but it's all these fiddly bits of group organization that need a common background, so sorry if you think I'm agitating, I'm trying to contribute relative to a long view, and raise things to consider and discuss so all are aware, is all.
  • Once there is a clear consensus, we go forward, clearly organized with a trail of why we're doing things this or that way.
  • There's never been anything personal, if you think about it. I could point out some of us seem to be most inclined to a big initial project and never mention the educational service end. Others seem solely now to be mainly focused on asset creation, which is fine as those are being offer to all. (Thanks Dave Snow!)

Just thought I'd post the general forum, that despite what might see like it was whining above, Yesterdayz Trainz has come a long way further in self-organization and facilites from that first week we moved away from this thread, not that we really did much here... that was going on by email before this thread or the web site was ready.

Truth is the web site wasn't as ready as it should have been but it's been upgraded virtually daily now for over three weeks, and Ted (Frogpipe) acting as Webmaster has done some heroic work evolving the facilities into a user friendly full blown well functioning talk forum and we've found the 22 of us seem to be a chatty lot!

We're still looking for members as we have too many interesting projects outlined and already on going for the members we could use. I'm not sure I should say more here now, but the first project in 'moving right along' tree planting stage is a Pennsylvania (PA) 22 mile long route called the Laurel Line (see facebook) and discussions about several smaller projects in the Eastern parts of that state and on the two railroad navigable rights of ways crossing the mountains in PA are being contemplated.So are about ten other interesting solid proposals.

• One other medium board count project in the works but not quite launched yet is the "Anthracite Route", which involves a ton of Coal Companies and near as many railroads vying for the rich coal seams of the Scranton--Wilkes-Barre valley.
  • Another is a hush, hush honey involving New York City and North Jersey. That's about to become an 'official' second route in progress--to date it's been research and discussion of the mission, bounds, maps, TransDEMs, you all know... the same dreary stuff you hear from the spouse at breakfast every morning... No?!! Maybe you're hanging with the wrong spouse! (The plural of spouse is 'Spice', isn't it?)
  • In case it's still a secret, one thing our group is going to be doing is building a base layout then dressing it for different periods with different sessions to show historical progressions. It's a lot of fun just discussing this, so come on by!
  • One other thing we're doing is discussing what we're doing or should be doing to keep in touch with the greater community here on the Auran.com boards.
  • So this is both a pre-emptive strike as well as an advert!

• You're popup blocker didn't work! Cheers to all! // Frank

I started a links collection list for Content Creation here on the Yesterdayz Trainz Group BB, which the general membership can read, but likely can't post (sorry, just thought of that, so...).
  1. So add any snippets here for the general education and edification of wannabe content creators, and I'll monitor and transplant at need.
  2. Other general interest or good information Trainz, Trainzing, Railroad, Historical, Maps etc, et, al, resource sites will be given similar treatment, and I'll eventually organize all such into a table form to make things easier to find up on the Wikibooks site.
Thanks to all in advance for your contributions to allowing others to maximize their free time in self-education. That's a good quality in you! // Frank

Back