R.I.P BNSF 8197 (Great Pumpkin)

millam6

Voyager
Hey guys,

I don't know if anyone has heard yet, and there doesn't appear to be a thread started about it (but if there is I apologize for starting a new one), but BNSF is retiring Great Pumpkin. Just today it was removed from heritageunits.com, and it was last seen in Minneapolis, MN.

It is unknown what BNSF has planned for Great Pumpkin. In fact the first time I heard about this was yesterday. If anyone knows what is to be the fate of 8197, I would very much like to know.

I've created this thread to be a remembrance of Great Pumpkin, a tribute, as some may like to call it. Share your pictures, stories, videos, etc. Let the legacy of 8197 live on.

You will be missed Great Pumpkin. R.I.P #8197 :'(

Best regards,

Carter

pictures\70701\BNSF 8197.jpg

I saw her go through town on a coal train once, sandwiched in between a pair of Dash-9s, I believe (Not good at spotting the differences on ye-olde rolling toasters, lol)

Nevertheless, she looked pretty spiffy, despite having a tad more grime on her than she did in the above pic. Sad to see her go.

Perhaps some one can build her for you in TR12, I'm shore this would make a great project for the younger models.

That was actually a unique locomotive. If I remember correctly, it actually had two different paint schemes on it. On one side it had red and blue striping, and on the other it featured something else. The idea was to test two paint schemes out (that were in the works) to see which worked better on the locomotives.

Edit:
IMG_6657.JPG

This picture shows it best. Look at the nose and you can see where the two varying schemes met. The left side (facing the photographer)had one which basically became BNSF's standard scheme, while the right side (again facing us) had another more elaborate scheme.

Last edited:
You do know its extremely RUDE to ignore some one wend they are talking to you! I can build it but now I feel insulted see how the astringents on this forum have drove good ppl away.

Reskinning would be VERY difficult. Most modelers only use a skin for one side of the locomotive and then reverse it for the other side. Since this locomotive had two unique schemes on each side, it'd take a model that had a texture for both sides of the locomotive.

BNSF 8197 was sitting in Northtown yard in Minneapolis for a while along with more EMD power. I think earlier this year BNSF got rid of some of their SD75M's to a leasing company of some sort. I don't remember the name, but I can see if it is still sitting up there with other power once I get back into town.

Although it is currently unavailable World of trainz had one for sale.
http://web.archive.org/web/20101006...doftrainz.com/Pages/Locomotives/EMD/SD60M.htm
Kenny

As far as I am concerned it is still available. Phil C. still has the website up, and I have bought a couple times from him just last year. All orders came through as expected, and the content is just as good as I remember it. I run them in TRS2006, and they work wonders. I do not yet have Great Pumpkin from WoT yet, but that's what I am planning to purchase next.

On a brighter note, WoT also has Golden Swoosh, and the Vomit Bonnet (which BNSF just recently gave a fresh coat of paint). However, he does not appear to have BNSF C44-9W #4723; the same one used for modeling the Dash 9 in MSTS awhile back. The special thing about that one is that it has "Microsoft Train Simulator" written on the hood. If Phil were to release that one, then my BNSF 'special interest loco collection' would be complete.

But I guess until then, the big 3 will do.

Best regards,

Carter

*EDIT*

Apparently WoT is going through an update process, I'm looking forward to the new site. I will sure to have some money ready when he gets it back up, maybe with some new content...? :eek:

Last edited:
No it isn't it's called highlighting in colors no harm was meant.

Come on guys. Lets not fight, this is supposed to be a tribute thread, not a fighting one.

@dragonharh, I read your orginal post about making Great Pumpkin for Trainz, and I think that would be super. WoT has one that I would love to buy as soon as Phil launches the website back up. It's time to play the waiting game.

Carter

Last edited:
As far as I am concerned it is still available. Phil C. still has the website up, and I have bought a couple times from him just last year. All orders came through as expected, and the content is just as good as I remember it. I run them in TRS2006, and they work wonders. I do not yet have Great Pumpkin from WoT yet, but that's what I am planning to purchase next.

On a brighter note, WoT also has Golden Swoosh, and the Vomit Bonnet (which BNSF just recently gave a fresh coat of paint). However, he does not appear to have BNSF C44-9W #4723; the same one used for modeling the Dash 9 in MSTS awhile back. The special thing about that one is that it has "Microsoft Train Simulator" written on the hood. If Phil were to release that one, then my BNSF 'special interest loco collection' would be complete.

But I guess until then, the big 3 will do.

Best regards,

Carter

*EDIT*

Apparently WoT is going through an update process, I'm looking forward to the new site. I will sure to have some money ready when he gets it back up, maybe with some new content...? :eek:
You'd be missing BNSF 4560, which had its nose door swapped for that of a conrail quality C40-8W. The unit that recieved 4560's nose door was NS 8447 if I remember correctly.

At first I thought this was an April Fools joke.
Where'd you get the info Carter?
;)
Heritageunits.com. What originally happened was that there was rumours going around that the Vomit Bonnet was getting repainted. So, we said our good byes and moved on, but nothing was set and stone.

The next day, when I hop on heritageunits.com, to see the whereabouts of the Vomit Bonnet, I noticed that there was a dot in MN, so I clicked on it. It was the Great Pumpkin, and the details said that it was her last train, the details were in all caps, it also said, and I quote "Shes Done." When I hopped back on in a couple of hours to see if it had moved, to my surprise, it was removed from the website entirely.

It was never intended to be a joke, in fact the whole day, I completely forgot it was April Fools day. It was so, 'unadvertised,' if ya know what I mean. And what really happened to the Vomit Bonnet was that it just got a fresh coat of paint, and that was it.

@Southern1581: Ah, yes! How could I have forgotten 4560? Thanks for reminding me, I will have to add that to my list.

Best regards,

Carter

Back