Screenshot of the Week: 12/18 to 12/25 (Warning: potential for very large shots)

I'd figure I would stay festive for the holidays...

An on time Amtrak Coast starlight makes it way up the Walong siding on the Tehachapis at day break. It does snow on the line, But the fact that Amtrak has been re-routed and it is snowing makes it a special trip. Happy Holidays everyone! :D

Wall8_1.jpg

Last edited:
Horse Shoe Curve 1956

Oh what a fabulous October afternoon on the Pennsylvania Railroad's world renown "Horse Shoe Curve", located a few miles west of Altoona, PA.

horse.jpg

Today's lineup includes:

On Track 1: The N5c caboose of a west bound freight is just about out of view as it heads west up the grade towards Galitzen, PA.

On Track 2: Twin Tuscon Red E8's (seen off in the distance) lead the "Pennsylvania Limited" east from Chicago, IL bound for New York City.

On Track 3: The infamous K4s #1361 heads the westbound "Pittsburgher" west from New York City bound for Pittsburgh, PA.

On Track 4: A set of brunswick green EF15's leads a string of loaded hoppers (seen off in the distance) up grade westbound headed for Johnstown, PA.

This scene was very much influenced by a water color painting my dad made a long time ago of a very familiar scene. Making this scene brings me back to the first time my dad took me here and I saw my first freight train meet back in the early 90's.

Hope you enjoy!
Steve Lerro

Nice shot stevelerro! Love the fall colours :)

One of my favourite places for photography on the MS... I've made it my goal to stand there in real life at some point in the future :)

Last edited:
Haven't posted anything British for awhile...

A 'Black 5' hauls an excursion along the Fort William - Mallaig route

Screen38-1.jpg

Good Luck guys
Cheers
Tim

My computer is still shot, i was trying to get it running this week, however it doesn't seem so, so here is an old screenshot I found in my photobucket account 3-4 years ago.

thorinoakin_20110531_0069.jpg

Back