GMax and 3DSMax (And any other modeling program) screenies/renders

Something like D&RG Leadville Depot

drgleadville.jpg

That feature was a painted on feature when they were wearing phase iii, as far as I can see they didn't actually have the lines built in. Awesome looking stuff there though, looking forward to seeing their development.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8245761@N07/5243266760/lightbox/

doesn't look very painted on to me, and (some of, at the time) the P40s definitely had physical ridges, so it's reasonable to assume that at least some of the P42s had physical ridges also.

Looking at my technical drawings I can garuntee that there are no physical ridges on any P40 (ok I also know that they didn't change up some, but not all during phase III.) It's the nature of black right next to white to make it look more 3D then it really is.

Here we go; 2 different Genesis Engine Models (P40, 800+#s; P42, 1+#s). Take a look at the edges near the MU cable housings are smooth, and would be bumpy if there was actual grooves. Also the ridge down the front of the nose is smooth. Finally in the last picture the black stripes get smaller in the middle because of the reflective white tape next to it, they would not shrink size as much if they were off-set from the white.
http://www.hebners.net/amtrak/amtGEN40_810_820/amt811c.jpg
http://www.hebners.net/amtrak/amtGEN40_821_830/Amt824e.jpg
http://www.hebners.net/amtrak/amtGEN42_1_10/amt2a.jpg
http://www.hebners.net/amtrak/amtGEN42_1_10/amt7b.jpg

peter

hi, ...

nice Pics allsame.

g'ice

atnb4fjau3l.jpg

In German is today "Fatherday" ...good Time for Drinks ..

a1gyreqm7utj.jpg

Last edited:
bus.jpg

Not Trainz but here it is anyway. (Actually will be 3d printed as a master for resin castings. I figured I could do a lot better job making a master in 3DS than with physical materials.)

Very nice Simulatortrain
I've been working on a similar project for some HO scale kits (one is for a mate, who is producing it for resin castings; the other is a personal project that will be sold as the straight prints).

Have you done any work with 3D printing before?

If not, then I would highly recommend looking at breaking it into a few parts. In this case, I would suggest sides, ends, and roof being separate.

This gives two things. First, you get a might higher quality print (3D printers build things up in 'layers', so the sides of that bus may end up with 'streaks' across it, due to the 'layers'). Second, it should come out a bit cheaper... At least it does for the company I'm going through here in Aus.

One other thing... When building, turn off the smooth filters... 3D printers ignore these, so you'll be able to get a 'feel' for where you might end up with some harder edges than desired... I almost made this mistake on one of the objects I was working on...

Funny enough, you still want to keep an eye on the poly counts with these. Although not in the same way as Trainz. Namely there's no real limit. However, too smooth, and your file sizes end up much larger than necessary. Just don't delete hidden polys... :)

Also, if you can, use the 'extrude' (or similar) tools to actually make everything on a 'print' into a single solid object, rather than lots of little objects (e.g. the window frames being part of the side, rather than sitting on the side as they are). The advantage of this is that you can ensure that there are no conflicting polys anywhere... These can lead to printing errors, which means editing and then re-printing the object (and more time and cost!).

Very nice Simulatortrain
I've been working on a similar project for some HO scale kits (one is for a mate, who is producing it for resin castings; the other is a personal project that will be sold as the straight prints).

Have you done any work with 3D printing before?

If not, then I would highly recommend looking at breaking it into a few parts. In this case, I would suggest sides, ends, and roof being separate.

This gives two things. First, you get a might higher quality print (3D printers build things up in 'layers', so the sides of that bus may end up with 'streaks' across it, due to the 'layers'). Second, it should come out a bit cheaper... At least it does for the company I'm going through here in Aus.

One other thing... When building, turn off the smooth filters... 3D printers ignore these, so you'll be able to get a 'feel' for where you might end up with some harder edges than desired... I almost made this mistake on one of the objects I was working on...

Funny enough, you still want to keep an eye on the poly counts with these. Although not in the same way as Trainz. Namely there's no real limit. However, too smooth, and your file sizes end up much larger than necessary. Just don't delete hidden polys... :)

Also, if you can, use the 'extrude' (or similar) tools to actually make everything on a 'print' into a single solid object, rather than lots of little objects (e.g. the window frames being part of the side, rather than sitting on the side as they are). The advantage of this is that you can ensure that there are no conflicting polys anywhere... These can lead to printing errors, which means editing and then re-printing the object (and more time and cost!).

Thanks for the advice. No, I haven't done anything yet with printing, this is a test for a larger project planned for later in the year. I've been talking to the guy that commissioned this about breaking it into pieces, he thought it would just simplify casting. If it improves quality, maybe that's a good reason too. Although, I'm going to have to sand the model anyway, so it may not matter. As far as smoothing, I do have it turned off, but I don't mess much with render settings and that's just how it rendered. I was trying to get it to where it would have totally smooth curves as printed, but eventually gave up and figured sanding it was a good enough alternative. Also, thanks for the info about extruding, I'll try to do that on the next model. Hopefully I don't have any problems with this, but at least the service I plan on using gives you a preview on their site before you order. We'll see how it goes...

h

Hi Iceman good model like always, you are using the V-ray 1.5 here?? or is mental ray? your shadows are always great you baking light textures?
arraial

hi, arraial

It is rendered only with the simple Scanliner Render, (LT trace) a skylight and "automatic Light Control ".
Automatic LightControl only for Picture Render.
Its not good Result for Model Bake.
This Preview Pics has only 500 Rays.

For model I finish render with 10 000 Ray's and a model enclosing cube.
So that the rays and the rendering time is not infinite hiking.
And then get a better result at the end.

g'ice

a1pekmzq3jx0.jpg

Last edited:
Back