How to make big and "clean" hill ?

vin38

Hello,

How to make big and "clean" hill ? I mean hill of more one baseboard at its bottom. Using the height up and plateau tool I manage to get this, but i find it a bit chaotic and unrealistic. I've try using displacement map, which are very convenient to place a displacement on a clear zone, but not easy to use when there is already things around the zone. Actually, I find the tools cool for small zone but hard to handle for bigger one.

Without using a dem map, of course :cool:

Any tips or best practice ?
thanks
Vin38

vin38200906020000.jpg

I might flatten out that 'dome' at the top, but once you get some ground texture on that it will look pretty convincing. Terrain always looks worse under the raw grid than it does when textured...

Andy :)

Hi Vin38,

Well, one way would be to use tracks, layed out parralel under a desired grade, or use the height button on the spline points and then use the smooth spline button in the track/advances flyout menu on each of those. I don't have trs2009, but I presume that will work in that version too.
If this isn't clear at all, I'll see if I can whip up some shots to make it clear if you so desire.;)

Greetings from nighttime Amsterdam,

Jan

Hi Vin38,

Well, one way would be to use tracks, layed out parralel under a desired grade, or use the height button on the spline points and then use the smooth spline button in the track/advances flyout menu on each of those. I don't have trs2009, but I presume that will work in that version too.
If this isn't clear at all, I'll see if I can whip up some shots to make it clear if you so desire.;)

Jan

This. It's what I generally do too. You can lay down stretches of track paralel to eachother and to the grid lines, make'm look like a rollercoaster (sorta) using the height button on the spline points as Jan said, then use the smooth spline button from the lowest point in those tracks to the highest. With a bit of practice you can make rolling hills and even big sharp mountain ridges.

Greetings from nighttime Haarlem,

Johan :hehe:

Using Track or 105' Highway splines to carve topography

This may give you an idea on ways to achive hills and mountains, using track and hitting the "smooth spline tool" button.
Screen_001-3.jpg

The first track in this shot is set at a height of 5, the next at 10...etc...15, 20, 25
Screen_002-2.jpg

Carving out topography
Screen_001.jpg

Ideas for making realistic Pennsylvania "Bumps"...from a "Flatlander" like me !

Last edited:
Hi Johan,

Could it be typical that two guyes from a completely flat country come up with a suggestion like this.:hehe:
Sorry couldn't resist. It's a sound way to do it though.

Btw, nice example shots cascaderailroad.

Jan

Hi there,

It is pretty easy once you know how.

1. Pick the Hill Displacement map.
2. Select an area. I usually select the area of a baseboard. One Square less every-side.
3. Adjust Threshold.
4. Hit the Fill Button. Watch the Hill form in front of you.
5. Use the height up tool to get rid of the lump in the middle of the hill.
screen_001.jpg

Now the fun part.

6. Select the Tools Menu/bar thingy.
7. Unselect the paste textures and Paste objects buttons.
8. Select the same amount of baseboard you did to make the hill. (Select the entire Hill) Use Select Area button.
9. Select the Relative Height Button.
10. Select Paste mode.
11. Now move around your layout/route and paste that mountain. If you paste the hill on top of another hill it will merge.
screen_002.jpg

screen_007.jpg

I hope that helps.
Regards

thank you very much to all for your answers.
actually, I've seen your method already with displacement map, but for weird reason I didn't thought to paste over and over to get the desired hill :)
also, the track method is excellent, even if I find it's a bit long to apply for big surface. I usually use it for smaller part.

anyway, it's a pleasure to see people answer a question that I believe has been ask several times in the past, I appreciate :cool:

Hi Johan,

Could it be typical that two guyes from a completely flat country come up with a suggestion like this.:hehe:
Sorry couldn't resist. It's a sound way to do it though.

Btw, nice example shots cascaderailroad.

Jan

Looks like it, huh? :hehe:

And yeah, good screenies for a mini-tutorial! :)

This is my system of mountain building. Start by laying some track.
Demo1.jpg

IMG%5D

Let's add a grade to make it interesting.
Demo2.jpg

Now go into the Topology tab, choose the largest radius, set the sensitvity dial at 9 oclock, and start blipping the mouse under the track to bring the terrain up to track level.
Demo3.jpg

Demo4.jpg

Now, start blipping the area on both sides of the track to raise the terrain. Keep filling in the low spots as the terrain rises.
Demo5.jpg

Now, use the spline smoothing tool to level the terrain under the track
Demo6.jpg

Let's add a dry run. Start by laying some track parallel to the original rail. Give it a slight downward grade. Now, using the spline smoothing tool,apply it to the track to create the run, and then delete the track.
Demo7.jpg

Let's add a wooden trestle to complete the job.
Demo8.jpg

And there you have your mountains. Ready for ground texture and trees. I generated this project in about 15 minutes. Several years ago, using this system I built a route that's about 20 miles long.

I call it Poor Man's HOG. Give it a try, it's not that hard.

Good luck, Joe

Whoa, JR, That's pretty cool!:Y:I use a similar system, but instead of using the raise function to bring the terrain to the track I use smooth track and then the plateau, then raise the hills from the higher starting point. I'll have to try your system to see if it feels better.
I use the exact same system for the rivers, with the Australian creek texture for the water and a mixture of sandstone and British rock textures for the gorge walls.

:cool:Claude

Whoa, JR, That's pretty cool!:Y:I use a similar system, but instead of using the raise function to bring the terrain to the track I use smooth track and then the plateau, then raise the hills from the higher starting point. I'll have to try your system to see if it feels better.
I use the exact same system for the rivers, with the Australian creek texture for the water and a mixture of sandstone and British rock textures for the gorge walls.

:cool:Claude

The reason I don't use the "smooth track" function until all of the terrain has been raised to it's final elevation, is because it can leave you with sharp edges that are hard to smooth out, especially if the track gradient is high. However either method will work.

Joe

Just remember the gap between the track and ground when you smooth it is 20 cm (well that's in 04 anyway) so it's best to raise the section of track 20 cm then smooth then lower the track again.

Andy

Yours is pretty realistic for the mountains around Pennsylvania. They are VERY lumpy like that, and even have that dome at the top. The only thing that makes them look smooth is the trees. Take a good look at them some time, or better yet, take a walk around one of them some time. They are far from smooth.

Back