NZ pics

Ya Sorry about that BR MK2f TSO are the ones you need and you are right they are also the Northerner NZR but reskined to the older colours

Only one pic today, I was rostered on the 0904 JVL - WLG train this morning and someone got a pic as I was coming into the capital
ryanmcc201102130006.jpg

Ryan

Woodville Station

Just a few photos of a KA loco special from Woodville through the Manuatu Gorge
In the gorge

In the gorge
KA 1.jpg

On the plains before the gorge
KA 3.jpg

At Woodville
KA 4.jpg

Last edited:
To Waikanae by Electric

Morning all

After the opening yesterday of the first extension of the wires since 1983, I got to do a trip this morning. I didn't need route training as I built the line!

Paraparaumu now has 3 platforms
ryanmcc201102190001.jpg

Approaching Otaihanga level crossing
ryanmcc201102190002.jpg

Lovely lush grass around the high voltage wires
ryanmcc201102190003.jpg

The end of the double track is south of the river, a kilometre or so south of the station
ryanmcc201102190004.jpg

Crossing the Waikanae River
ryanmcc201102190005.jpg

Arriving at the lengthened platform. The loop has been moved north, past a couple of wired sidings on each side of the main line
ryanmcc201102190007.jpg

Ryan

Over power cats

Morning all

This morning, the trains began rolling into Taita.

screen010g.jpg

Crossing the Hutt River at Ava

screen013o.jpg

Woburn

screen016oi.jpg

Waterloo

screen017r.jpg

Poor old Epuni, lost it's old building last year to be replaced with a couple of little bus shelters, no doubt useless on a rainy day in Windy Wellington.

screen020o.jpg

Wingate. That shelter type is a little bit better...

screen022c.jpg

Arriving at Taita before heading to the turnback road

screen025l.jpg

The first trip is over.

screen026n.jpg

A bit further up the line, this is the Pomare crossing of Hutt River.

Well it's been a while, but that all for now. A bit more QR to build and then it's on to Upper Hutt.

Ryan
Hi i am a big fan of your wellington rail and ive made the jvl line too and i would like to know how you got nzr like wires if you could tell me that would be grate:DMRRANGI/jamie ede

Last edited:
Hi i am a big fan of your wellington rail and ive made the jvl line too and i would like to know how you got nzr like wires if you could tell me that would be grate:DMRRANGI/jamie ede

Hi Jamie, welcome to the forum. The catenary in those pics were a bit of everything, I think the main type I used there was called DL&W... or something similar. They are on the DLS. The Waterloo Y shaped ones were simply the result of hard work! Those things took forever to create. The Taita span stuff is just a couple of wooden poles and the 'bald' range of catenary, built in since at least TRS06. Anyway, I've since changed the DL&W stuff to Fender's Wellington-specific catenary, found on the Trainzone website (trainzone.co.nz). You'll want to check out that website as he puts all of his rollingstock creations on there as well. He's just done the DL class and I believe there's a Matangi on the horizon for Wellington.

Hope that helps.

Ryan

(P.S. - I'm young so I don't care, but the "oldies" around these forums like grammer to be correct when posting. Trust me, it'll save you grief ;) )

Hi guys

Still no reply from Trevor (Fender849) who made the Johnsonville line and many of the NZR locos.
I know that much of Christchurch is without power (and may be for some time to come) so he may not be able to reply.

Things are very serious down there. Search and rescue teams are looking for survivors in the toppled buildings but they are now worried that the tallest skyscraper in town is sinking into the ground and may topple causing a domino effect.
I think Trevor lives in the outer suburbs so, unless he had gone to town, I suspect hes OK.

Michael

Last edited:
thanks

Hi Jamie, welcome to the forum. The catenary in those pics were a bit of everything, I think the main type I used there was called DL&W... or something similar. They are on the DLS. The Waterloo Y shaped ones were simply the result of hard work! Those things took forever to create. The Taita span stuff is just a couple of wooden poles and the 'bald' range of catenary, built in since at least TRS06. Anyway, I've since changed the DL&W stuff to Fender's Wellington-specific catenary, found on the Trainzone website (trainzone.co.nz). You'll want to check out that website as he puts all of his rollingstock creations on there as well. He's just done the DL class and I believe there's a Matangi on the horizon for Wellington.

Hope that helps.

Ryan

(P.S. - I'm young so I don't care, but the "oldies" around these forums like grammer to be correct when posting. Trust me, it'll save you grief ;) )
Thanks i have got the wellington wires and i was also looking for the old jvl round poles & wires but cant find them thanks for your help.(p.s i'm young too and i will get the dl's this week end.:hehe:

Nice Gordon. Arraial is a good creator from what I've seen. Those guys would have come in handy to help remove some idiots on the below train...
ryanmcc201102250001.jpg

Departing Waterloo after the troublemakers left the train.

ryanmcc201102250002.jpg

Arriving at Taita about 10 minutes late. A quick turnaround is required for the non-stop return to Wellington.

Later in the evening, the EO set is moved back into the Wellington carriage sidings as the afternoon service was replaced by a Ganz.
ryanmcc201102250003.jpg

Back to real life, the unofficial word is that the Matangi's may enter service in the Hutt valley as early as next week. For those in the region, get your last EE Hutt trips in soon!

Hi Ryan,

Just a minor point, the EO set stays in Upper Hutt overnight ready for the commuter traffic in the morning. I am fairly sure they only do two trips a day with the EO set, Upper Hutt to Wellington in the morning and Wellington to Upper Hutt after business hours during the homeward rush. The coaches do not belong to Kiwi Rail they are on lease.

Cheers,
Bill

You're right. Something went wrong on the platform last night so it needed some TLC and may make a special trip (for the photographers) Sunday afternoon or Monday morning to take up its normal working. Otherwise the punters will go straight to the Dominion Post to complain :hehe: . Good to hear that everyone appears well over there.

Back