Render to Texture or how to exorcize those evil polygons (part 1)

mick1960

In den naechsten Folgen dieses Blog-Eintrages will ich zeigen, wie man aus einem Objekt mit 9691 Polygone und 5742 Vertices eines erstellen kann, welches nur noch aus 92 Polygone und 72 Vertices besteht.
Bei dem Objekt handelt es sich um einen Tresor, bei dem die Baender, der Handgriff und das Zahlenkombinationsrad komplett gemesht sind. Das Endergebnis wird dann nur noch aus dem Grundkoerper und einer Texturen bestehen.

In the next sequences of this blog entry I will show how to make from an object with 9.691 polygons and 5.742 vertices one, which consists then of 92 polygons and 72 vertices only.
The object is a safe with meshed hinges, door handle and code handle. The final result will have only the body and one texture.

Mick!

Hier einige gerenderte Bilder des fertig texturierten Meshes/Here some rendered pictures of the textured final mesh

Impressive work Mick, I'll be watching and following along mate if i can keep up. Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge.
Cheers Mick.

I'm impressed with the dial and the raised numerals. But I'm puzzled about the title. Are they not two different topics? The first "render to texture" is of particular interest to me.

Maybe I can learn a little German along the way. :hehe: It might help with my conversations with Konni.

pcas1986;bt2277 said:
[...] Are they not two different topics?

Actually not. Render to texture has two main goals. The first is to get a texture with diffuse, very soft shadows, which makes your objects look much more realistic. Those soft shadows you have in real on every item, even without any direct light. The expression for this is ambient occlusion. About this subject I did already a tutorial, which can be found here: http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php5/HowTo/Render_to_Texture

The second goal which I want to cover here now is to use render to texture for a projection of a high poly mesh onto an low poly mesh. With this method you can transfer the high details into a texture and also get a very good normal map.

Mick!

Last edited:
mick1960;bt2281 said:
The second goal which I want to cover here now is to use render to texture for a projection of a high poly mesh onto an low poly mesh. With this method you can transfer the high details into a texture and also get a very good normal map.

Mick!

I stand (or rather sit) corrected. :D That sounds interesting and I shall look forward to it.

Back