Setting up a ground texture asset for UTC or TRS2004

Retro00064

Create a new folder for your ground texture in the World\Custom\ground folder of your Trainz installation.

Place inside it the 128 x 128-pixel BMP image for your texture.

Next, create a .texture.txt file for your texture. This is a text document, which you can create by right-clicking in your texture's folder, then choosing New -> Text Document. While it is not a requirement, naming this file after the BMP image might be a good idea. For example, if your BMP image is named example.bmp, name the .texture.txt file example.texture.txt.

Setting up Windows to show extensions for known file types is a good idea. To do this, in your folder's window, go Tools -> Folder Options, choose the View tab in the resulting dialog, then, under "Advanced settings", uncheck the "Hide extensions for known file types" box. Now click the Apply button, then the OK button.

The .texture.txt file needs to contain the following:

Code:
Primary=<name of your BMP image>
Tile=st

For example, if the name of the BMP image is example.bmp, then the .texture.txt file should contain:

Code:
Primary=example.bmp
Tile=st

Now we need to set up the config.txt file for the texture. Check out the below config.txt code. The red text is tutorial instructions and should NOT be included in the actual config.txt file:

Code:
[FONT=courier new]kind "groundtexture"
kuid <kuid:[I]user_ID[/I]:[I]asset_ID[/I]>   [COLOR=#ff0000]<---------[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000] The KUID of your texture. Replace [I]user_ID[/I] with your Trainz user ID and [I]asset_ID[/I] with a suitable asset ID, e. g. [B]21000[/B] if this is your first texture.
[/COLOR]region "USA"   [COLOR=#ff0000]<------------------------- The region that your texture will show up under in Surveyor.
[/COLOR]rgb 100,180,100   [COLOR=#ff0000]<---------------------- The RGB values for the color that your texture will show up as in the minimap and Surveyor selection screen.
[/COLOR]username "Example texture 01"   [COLOR=#ff0000]<-------- The name that your texture will show as in Surveyor.[/COLOR] 
description "Example description."   [COLOR=#ff0000]<--- A description of your texture asset.
[/COLOR]asset-filename "example"   [COLOR=#ff0000]<------------- The name of the .texture.txt file for your texture, excluding the .texture.txt extension. E. g., "example" for [I]example.texture.txt[/I].
[/COLOR]trainz-build 1.5   [COLOR=#ff0000]<--------------------- The version number of the oldest Trainz version your asset will work in. 1.5 for UTC is fine.
[/COLOR]category-class "GS"   [COLOR=#ff0000]<------------------ Use "GA" for "Arid", "GL" for "Lush", or "GS" for "Seasonal".
[/COLOR]category-region-0 "US"[COLOR=#ff0000]
[/COLOR]category-era-0 "1800s"
category-era-1 "1900s"
category-era-2 "2000s"
category-era-3 "2010s"
[/FONT]

Information on the "category-region" and "category-era" tags can be found in the Content Creators Guide (CCG).

With everything set up, check out your texture in Trainz!

Comments and suggestions for this tutorial are welcome. :)

Back