ATLS In The Yard?

RHKluckhohn

First, I really like using ATLS for level crossings for all the usual reasons.

But in the yard I'm having issues with the ATLS Correctors. It seems that they cancel in both directions, that is, a train crosses the trigger, then the corrector, and the crossing clears before the train reaches the far trigger. So the corrector is not usable for through traffic. Or am I doing something wrong?

My depot lies between, say, A and B St. I'm OK with using the correcter to clear the crossing when a train starts the session in the station, but an incoming westbound train that clears the B corrector will then restart the B crossing when it proceeds. At other times that track is needed for switching and the problem again arises. Unacceptable. Guess I'll be installing the correctors in the session rather than the route as I have been, unless someone has the answer.

A switching move that stops on and reverses over a trigger does not clear the crossing, as has been noted elsewhere. Is there a setting I'm overlooking, or a trick that would resolve this?

There are two other streets, C and D, crossing my yard and there are several spurs. Those crossings are controlled by one controller and I think the triggers are pretty well tuned -- haven't seen an issue with those two (apart from the carz trapped by the stoppers). Three of the spurs are long enough that a trigger works well on them. I'll be analyzing what would happen if I include B St in that happy ensemble.

The philosophic question is, "Is it better to run over trapped cars or let them drive through the train?"

I'm working all this out in 12 and am using the latest versions of the ATLS components. Oh, and using driver commands to actuate crossings is only prototypic with trams and trolleys in the U.S.A., so I already reject that solution.

:B~)

Back