The Augsburg & Concord Railroad - Planning the Route

jeff1959

When planning the route for the ACRR, I followed the same method as I did in building the model railroad. I started with givens and preferences. The following are some must haves:

• The route will feature crowded, urban railroading, with lots of switching; even some street running, if possible.
  • The route will have all three towns from the original concept of the ACRR.
  • Passenger service is necessary, both commuter and regular passenger service.
  • Through Freights and Interchanges with Class 1’s to generate traffic.
  • Augsburg’s industries will be served from a branch or spur.
  • There should be some interdependent industries, which are far enough apart to need rail service.
  • Scenery needs to be kept simple.
  • The route needs to be long enough to be prototypically plausible, but short enough to operate alone in short sessions (30 min-2 hours).
  • The route needs to be made up of all freeware, although not necessarily DLS.

As a result, the route has Augsburg as the main town, located on the south end. The main ACRR yard is located there. There is an interchange with the Chicago Northwestern. Through freights from the CNW originate there and trains also leave the route as well.

Heading north, the route crosses the Illinois River onto Walther Island and back again before reaching Wittenburg. From Wittenburg, the route continues north crossing Illinois River once again before going into Concord. At Concord, the route meets the Burlington Northern, where through freights come from the north and depart heading north, as well as interchanging cars in a small holding yard.

Proposed Sessions

1. Morning Commuter. Passenger run from Augsburg Yard to Augsburg Station to Concord Station.
  2. Evening Commuter. Return trip from Concord to Augsburg and park in Yard.
  3. Morning Switching Duties. Collect cars from CNW yard and work Augsburg Industrial Park.
  4. Afternoon Turn. Working cars in all three towns, collect BN interchange and deliver.
  5. Steam Excursion. Run the Steam Train from Augsburg to Concord, with several photo passes.
AI controlled through freights and Amtrak trains will be running during each of these sessions.

Back