PDA

View Full Version : Trainz A New Era - What's in a name

ianwoodmore
November 24th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Currently "Trainz A New Era", "TANE" (pronounce it 'Tar Nay' as per Maori God sounds better than 'TAYnn') and 'T2' for short are being used.
If used for too long one of these will become the default name based on common usage . Is that what you want?

My views are:

Short is good - "Trainz".

Should stick to or contain "Trainz" eg "Trainz 2" or "Trainz nnn".

Avoid continuing with "TSnn" or "TRSnnn". A certain other railroad game likes to choose a similar sounding name. Confusing but likely if based on year. Or perhaps trying to bathe in reflected glory.

N3V says the name has not been finalised yet. So in the spirit of Trainz Community let's give N3V (sigh! Auran is so much better than this cryptic abbreviation) a few ideas to mull over before the PR boys come up with some oddball name.

Tongue in cheek - How about borrowing from Delorean fame for this PR slogan to describe the new series - "Trainz Back to the Future". Kind of honours the past creators as the foundation for exploring the future.

jjanmarine3
November 24th, 2013, 12:44 PM
I agree, K.I.S.S TRAINZ 2 is perfect.

JCitron
November 24th, 2013, 02:07 PM
I agree, K.I.S.S TRAINZ 2 is perfect.

I like this one too. Simple is right! :)

John

ccowan2126
November 24th, 2013, 03:13 PM
What about TZ2 ?

andi06
November 24th, 2013, 03:43 PM
It would be really good to have something without any Zs.

How about Trainz 'n' Terrainz

Sourdough
November 24th, 2013, 03:45 PM
What about TZ2 ?

Yes...we can call it "tizzy2"....:cool:

BN1970
November 24th, 2013, 03:46 PM
I'm kinda leaning towards "Trainz Pro 2014". Gives a professional feel vs. "the other" TS14...lol

Sourdough
November 24th, 2013, 03:46 PM
It would be really good to have something without any Zs.

How about Trainz 'n' Terrainz

I don't know...they both have Zs.....

I'm kinda leaning towards "Trainz Pro 2014". Gives a professional feel vs. "the other" TS14...lol

I've never liked a date in the title. It makes it look outdated when 2015 rolls around.....they released 2006 in 2005, so it had a little time to seem current, but it would be better to come up with something without dating it.

BN1970
November 24th, 2013, 04:06 PM
lol, how about "Trainz Railway Simulator-Professional Edition"..leaves room for Version # if necessary :p

SD45T-2
November 24th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Hm...

Methinks we should just call it "'Trainz-Railway Simulator"

But, their are more pressing issues right now.

mezzoprezzo
November 24th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Trainz with the Z is worth keeping IMHO, a least somewhere in the description. It makes the product instantly recognisable.

Using initials alone gives little clue as to what the item really is. (Sorry ccowan2126, but TZ2, to me, sounds like it should be on a can of hairspray).:o

The use of initials also leaves room for rival companies to emulate the brand and possibly secure sales under false pretences. I bet I'm not the only one who's been confused between TS12 and TS2012. Newcomers must be totally bewildered.

My preference would be for Trainz2 Railway Simulator on the box. The Z and the 2 are very similar in shape. Im sure the art department could come up with a stylised 2 overlaying the Z, in addition to an appropriately high impact image. Forget the year.

Regular users will probably call it T2, but its whats on the box which is important for purchasers wanting to buy the right product.

Cheers
Casper

p.s. Good to see the US members calling it a railway (not railroad) simulator!:D

j_maybury
November 24th, 2013, 06:01 PM
The name is just going to get shortened anyway so why not call it E2T2, It's got a Star Wars feel to it... :hehe:

ccowan2126
November 24th, 2013, 07:09 PM
The name is just going to get shortened anyway so why not call it E2T2, It's got a Star Wars feel to it... :hehe:

Now I would vote for that !!!!!

martinvk
November 24th, 2013, 09:00 PM
I agree to keep the year out of the name, makes it sound old too soon. The Z has become somewhat of an icon so that should stay. Other than that I'm not artsy enough to come up with a catchy but pro-sounding name.

boyerm25
November 24th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Yeah - no year, but keep the Z.

rjhowie
November 24th, 2013, 10:04 PM
"K.I.S.S TRAINZ 2"?? Nah, I only "kiss (in any way) attractive women.

jjanmarine3
November 24th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Keep It Short and Simple - not meant to be added to the name but I am sure you knew that :)

j_maybury
November 25th, 2013, 12:12 AM
OK then... what about E2T2-ZPRO that's even more Star Warsy...:hehe:

cheechako
November 25th, 2013, 01:34 AM
I thought about "Trainz: The Best Damn Z Game Without Undead", but that doesn't roll off the tongue.

big_b
November 25th, 2013, 02:17 AM
What about TRAINZ-64E

Trainz 64bit Edition

Still has TANE in the name for Tony
Can still be shortened to T2-64, T264, T2

Dave

nicky9499
November 25th, 2013, 02:52 AM
I vote for Trainz 2 as well.

Technically speaking it's the first major step forward since the original Trainz, so the number 2 is very fitting. Stay away from year numbers as well, it's as good as an expiry date on a milk carton. Instead of making the software better you need to find ways to keep coming up with new box art every 1~2 years. *rolleyes*

Yes, K.I.S.S. definitely applies.

Tony_Hilliam
November 25th, 2013, 05:23 AM
hmmm... T2 is winning for simplicity, but...

T64 - Trainz 64 ... (representing the approximate average age of our forum members ;) )

Maybe someone can come up with a wheel configuration or model number:
Trainz 64E-2
Trainz ANE2-64

masontaylor
November 25th, 2013, 05:45 AM
Tranez 64?

butler57
November 25th, 2013, 06:00 AM
How about -
Trainz New Generation 2014
Shortened to Trainz - TNG 2014
Maybe a bit "Star Trekkie" but it is about the future of Trainz after all.

kws4000
November 25th, 2013, 05:21 PM
64? OI I'm a third your age!

Marketing could be along lines of "A Revolution in Evolution"
The Z must stay, else newcomers will be sorely confused.
Numbers are necessary else folks will wonder about why they can't get "Classics" or "Driver", which we in the know, know that correspond to 2007 and 2006, respectively. (Ultimate, anyone?)
The emphasis on free DLC must be larger.
And since it is being released for Xmas 2014 (according to timeline on KS), like auto sales, it should actually be marketed for 2015.

martinvk
November 25th, 2013, 07:28 PM
h... 64 ... (representing the approximate average age of our forum members ;) )

..Where did you pull that number from, wild guess, cynical tie-into 64 bit software or actual user stats? Don't recall ever declaring my age so I can't be part of that number. Although if 64 was used, too many would wonder and speculate about what happened to the others from 13 to 63.

How about something like this?
http://doei.ca/images-trainz/trainz2.jpg

Dinorius_Redundicus
November 25th, 2013, 07:44 PM
I like the simple "Trainz 2" as it retains the well-known "z" and the 2 speaks of a new generation. I personally don't mind a 'year' as a suffix, at least you know where you are in the on-going product evolution. Having an old year in the name certainly hasn't stopped some people from still ranking TRS2004 as better than the ones that followed.

One thing to avoid would be the use of superlatives in the name. It looks ridiculous to speak of "Ultimate" unless that really is the last and best version you will ever put out.

I would also avoid both "railroad" and "railway" as they tend to promote pointless fights over which term is correct. :wave:

cheechako
November 25th, 2013, 08:15 PM
I like the simple "Trainz 2" as it retains the well-known "z" and the 2 speaks of a new generation. I personally don't mind a 'year' as a suffix, at least you know where you are in the on-going product evolution.

So T2 2014? Or just T2 now, and the year is added on next time? I like T2 even though I sometimes picture a shiny terminator instead of a shiny bullet train. Trainz is the brand, so we can't get rid of the z just like we're not tossing backwards compatibility and starting over from scratch. There is the unfortunate "teezy-too" hidden in all that, but Trainz 2 still seems fitting because it is a new (second) gen engine, yet I'm not fond of NG. (Well, I am a fan of narrow gauge, just not the Next/New Gen moniker.)

It looks ridiculous to speak of "Ultimate" unless that really is the last and best version you will ever put out.

Yes, but adding "Flavor Blasted" might increase sales in America. :)

Dinorius_Redundicus
November 25th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Only if that flavor is bacon!

ColPrice2002
November 26th, 2013, 02:00 AM
I'd avoid any name with a standalone "Z". As the American usage is "zee", whereas the English and Scots say "zed". I suspect that the Australians and Kiwis follow the latter use as well?

Colin

captainkman
November 26th, 2013, 02:38 AM
You are correct in saying that the Aussies and Kiwis use 'zed'.

Kieran.

2995Valliant
November 26th, 2013, 03:12 AM
I'm not so sure about the continued use of the "z" in the marketing. Sure we all know and understand the product, so I hear those who say it's iconic - but that is only to us. To a new user? When I bought my first train sim I set out to buy MSTS as "Trainz" to me sounded like something for kids and not a serious simulator. Fortunately for me the shop I bought it from was doing a "buy one get one free" deal so I picked up Trainz as well and quickly learnt which was the superior product.

Anthony

pfx
November 26th, 2013, 05:02 AM
I'd be inclined to agree with Anthony on the issue of 'Z'. It was only pure chance that brought me to the program and I'd probably have opted for 'the other one' if I'd come across it at the same time. I had already tried MSTS and I don't recall it being supported when I happened across Trainz 2006.

My own suggestion would be to work with the fact that T2 (or whatever you wish to call it) is an evolution of the software so it would make sense to go along those lines. I actually like T2 but my alternative would be Trains:Prime Mover in reference to the new and more powerful engine.

j_maybury
November 26th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Funnily enough I too have to agree with Anthony and pfx, for the same reason, as I recall MSTS came out a few day before trainz did, but I waited for them both to come out before I made my decision, and to me the word trainz smacked of un-professional work, and because of this I elected to go for MSTS, and never gave trainz a fair chance, it took the demise of MSTS2 to get me started with trainz and it was up to TRS2006 by then.
At that time I bought UTC from the cheep and cheerful rack because I didn't want to waist my money on an inferior train simulation, and then I became hooked from then on to trainz, other wise I would have never gotten involved with the franchise.

Vern
November 26th, 2013, 10:36 AM
The "Z" also has wareZ implications as pointed out years ago and sadly we have seen an anarchic element following the programme at times. And what was cool and hip in the noughties is a bit dated as we approach the mid-teenies.

ianwoodmore
November 26th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Back in TRS2004 or TRS2006 days, there were future modules proposed. I think there was a Yardmaster module and also a Transport module.
Unfortunately we missed the boat so to speak. So there are other simulators that now do this and incorporate these entities in their name.

Trainz has developed way beyond being just a rail simulator.
It is very much a transportation simulator, with main focus being rail but desperately trying to encompass intermodal freight and people mover via land, sea and air.

Heck, we are even colonising MARSZ. And also we have that excellent CMTM system by Dap.

How about some ideas along these lines. You could get some ideas by looking at the proposed stretch goals.

big_b
November 26th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Thats true but as far as naming it from other features is not good in my opinion.
Thats unless N3V have plans of including that type of content ( air land sea and space )in the game,Otherwise you are naming a game on 3rd party content which may or may not exist.
Trainz has always been a rail simulator and should be named that way,anything over and above that type of transport are the nice to haves but at this stage totally depend on
3rd party content creaters to supply if the creater leaves or has a change of mine the content won't exist.
It will look pretty silly if it's named a multi transport sim but you only have trains to use.
Also there is nothing in the stretch goal features that i can see that would even suggest a name,they are all features that could be used in any new game as part of the game play and game features.

j_maybury
November 26th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Let's just call it Trainz 2.... and have done with it!

big_b
November 26th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Yep it has to be Trainz 2 or something along those lines
N3V has advertised it on Kickstart as a rail sim
People have pledged to a rail sim as the main feature anything else added is an extra