Why do updates always break things?

epa

Angry Trainz Nerd
This is in no way meant to be a dig at N3V. I want to clarify that first and foremost. They do a lot to keep Trainz fresh for us and for that I'm thankful.

It's that magical time once again. My Trainz+ version of TRS19 (currently Build 110491) has notified me that it's time for an update. Actually, it has been for months. I keep canceling it.

Why?

I still have countless assets broken from the last update, many of which are built-in assets or official DLC.

Most faulty individual assets can be fixed with a simple "revert to original" command or database repair. However many show "missing dependencies", referencing items that are "Installed, Payware (not active)", but are things I've had one one point because... well, they're there!

R9mmWLq.jpg

Some things reference assets that are listed by name, so the game knows what they are, but with "unknown location". This tells me that these are assets that were removed from my installation and aren't readily available through official channels.

tVtlBCC.jpg

These are issues that did not exist until a TRS19 update, and every time I update the game, more errors like this come up. That's why I'm hesitant to update.

What happens in updates that cause these errors to come up, and how does one fix them? And how does one avoid assets being broken by updates?

Thanks for listening to (err... reading) my rant.

Matt

Last edited:
These payware assets updates are not available to us PC and Mac users and are only for the mobile version. The issue has to do with the DLC server and how it handles the versions. The version we have installed works fine so there's no reason to worry about the new ones for now, but do check for updates because they do come down periodically for us desktop users.

There is usually a simple explanation. The challenge is figuring out what changed and where.

When you updated, did you move or rename any of the folders? (install or local data folders).

RZD unload is part of sc370 (Franklin Ave Ind).
There was a change of the resource for the TMR routes from 45470 to sc470 format. But your membership should provide access to that.

On further checking, it seems you haven't selected Franklin in your Content Vault (this is currently done in MyTrainz)

The "Unknown location" means that something that was installed in your db is now no longer in the local data folder.

I hope this helps.

There is usually a simple explanation. The challenge is figuring out what changed and where.

When you updated, did you move or rename any of the folders? (install or local data folders).

RZD unload is part of sc370 (Franklin Ave Ind).
There was a change of the resource for the TMR routes from 45470 to sc470 format. But your membership should provide access to that.

On further checking, it seems you haven't selected Franklin in your Content Vault (this is currently done in MyTrainz)

The "Unknown location" means that something that was installed in your db is now no longer in the local data folder.

I hope this helps.

No folder names or locations have changed.

I'll look into Franklin. It does show in my routes list but I'll see if I actually have it selected - is it possible I somehow wound up with a version of the route meant for another edition of Trainz?

As for the "unknown location" ... huh, I don't recall deleting anything from the local data folder. I wonder how that happened...

Thanks a bunch, Tony!

Matt

When looking at your routes list, look at the dropdown menu at the top and make sure it says installed and not purchased. I can't quite remember which update changed the default, but it was the one that listed multiplayer surveyor routes.
Graeme

So I took the update to Build 111951.

I went though the Content Vault and the Content Store to make sure I actually have the stuff the game thinks I have, and updated all of the DLC stuff that I have. In addition to all that, I also selected everything that was missing dependencies and scooped up nearly 200 assets from the DLS that somehow evaded me. Sure enough there was some stuff I had... but not really, like that Franklin Ave route.

One long (and I mean long) database repair and asset precache later, and all appears to be well.

Thanks a lot to everyone who gave their two cents. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Matt

Back