Where can I find a pictured/video tutorial/guide to import a locomotive/rolling stock into Trainz 'Step-by-step'??

PhilChorusch01

As the title says, I am again looking for a tutorial/guide preferably a pictured or video as step-by-step instructions. I'm completely dumb here, where do I even start? I've read that useless Trainz guide that I can't even begin to understand. It's tells me only a few words and nothing more

I've searched on youtube and found absolutely tutorials and guides telling me HOW TO 3d model in Blender.. SERIOSULY!!! I WANT TO IMPORT it into Trainz, no offence..
I really apologise for the shouting, but for god sake where are the REAL tutorials/guides on doing this? I seem to run into dead-end, after dead-end..

I really want to import a REAL NSW XPT model, not created by me. But, I certainly have permission by meshd who creates models for Cities Skylines.
Or if someone else could do it, I would appreciate it too! I'm just fed up looking at the reskin XPT in Trainz... You should know what I mean! Trainz has been around for decades and still no official XPT..

Just skip through the tutorials until you get to the export bit. If you're using 2.79b you'll need the exporter set up correctly.

After that file menu open to open the blend file, and file menu export trainz mesh and animation.

Basically clone an existing loco then drop in your new mesh and adjust the config.txt file to point to the new meshes. Be aware that trainz separates out the bogies.

Cheerio John

Assuming that you cloned the original loco body asset which will give the asset a kuid belonging to you.
1. Open your clone for editing.
2. Edit the image files in your clone to cause a reskin. Update the license area to say you have permission from the author.
3. In CM, select the clone and commit (Ctrl, Shift E).

If you use different names for your texture files then it gets a bit harder because you will need to add a script and extra tags in the config.

I don't like editing my stuff within the Trainz user data editing folder and prefer to keep them in project folders. I have an "export" sub folder with all the necessary files and just drag and drop that into Content Management.

It's not hard and you will very quickly get used to it and probably come up with your own process.

I've written a few Blender to Trainz tutorials for the Trainz WiKi but they assume you are developing your own asset.

I don't have a clone of the model! I'm not sure what you mean?

This is to same model from this video I plan to import into Trainz

I just imported the XPT into TS Classic, in the video and just testing it!

You never said you wanted to reskin a Train Simulator model into Trainz. I very much doubt you will find any tutorials to do that. Most of the reskinners start with a Trainz model.

You never said you wanted to reskin a Train Simulator model into Trainz. I very much doubt you will find any tutorials to do that. Most of the reskinners start with a Trainz model.
Oh! Sorry for the confusion

I said I was fed up with the reskin XPT's from the HST train. And Trainz has been around for many years and nobody has yet released an official XPT model ;)
But, not a reskinned model.. A 3d file I want to import into Trainz :)

Well, importing a 3D model is one thing but making a loco means creating the loco body, the bogies, which have to be animated, and probably a cab which in many cases is more complicated than making the loco body.
It's a very serious entry into making models for Trainz and not remotely easy which is why you may have trouble finding tutorials.

I have the XPT loco and carriages already done ;) I could use the HST cabview and sounds! Just have no idea setting it up for Trainz, that's all :)

I would know how to export into Trainz. I've only got the 3d models in Blender
Start by texturing a box as a scenery (building) asset and export /import that into Trainz. It's not a loco but the experience of doing that will help a lot. This tutorial might help: https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/HowTo/Export_from_Blender_using_FBX. Using that tutorial you might try painting a simple cube in Blender and getting that into Trainz.

Nearly all assets imported into Trainz use much the same basic process:

1. Create your model and paint it with a material. Reskinning is really just swapping the painted material.
2. Create the model description file which is called "config.txt". This identifies and describes the model to Trainz.
3. Import the 3D model into Trainz. Most times you can just copy and paste your project folder onto Content Manager.

The complexity of models varies a lot. As I said, buildings are the easiest and locos are perhaps the hardest. The best way I know of to identify what a loco needs is to take a copy of a similar loco and go through its relevant parts and work out exactly what each part does. The Trainz WiKi can help with that.

I would know how to export into Trainz. I've only got the 3d models in Blender

I missed you didn't have a Blender source to start with.

Realistically models that are not created in Blender for Trainz will have problems. The first is poly count, Trainz needs to render sixty times a second. You don't have the two minutes to wait that Blender takes to render some models with high details. Curves are a particular problem. Second the conversion process is never smooth. The software creating the 3D models and Blender may not have the same capabilities or do things in the same way and the translation will miss things. Also in Blender you'll want to be able to modify bits such as curves and that may not be possible.

Personally I'd just give up and accept what is available or bribe someone. Some students are good.

Cheerio John

The models are Blender native ;) I think it's probably best to ask someone could import the XPT models! If anyone would like to PM me :) I'm completely dumb when it comes to importing models into Trainz 'basically, I'm that stupid I need videos and pictured tutorials'...

I thought TS Classic was frustrating! 'Lets not talk about that one though' LOL

So you have a model made in Blender but not for Trainz. That must be setup for Trainz first and we can not tell you what to do without knowing how it was setup. Trainz is setup with a body, bogeys, and cab, and I know MSTS is setup as just one mesh.

So you have a model made in Blender but not for Trainz. That must be setup for Trainz first and we can not tell you what to do without knowing how it was setup. Trainz is setup with a body, bogeys, and cab, and I know MSTS is setup as just one mesh.
Off topic! MSTS does use separate meshes, just parented to the main model :)
YES, I have the model in Blender... I just have NO idea how to set it up for Trainz.. The XPT model is setup for TS Classic and I have another source file that is NOT setup for anything 'aka original model'..

I think I kind of understand what I need to do!

So, in blender, what do I need to name a locomotive, carriage or freight wagon? Before exporting to FBX!

Can I also use helpers like back in Gmax? I have Davido's Endeavour/Xplorer 3d models in Gmax which was to help me learn awhile back, plus it has all the helpers setup for lighting, bogie locations, door animations and more.

I can see that I have to use .trainzmesh instead of .fbx in the config files for main body, bogies both for power car and saloons/coaches.. Also, is the wheels parented to the bogies?

As for any other configurations to include sounds, I wouldn't know! I know how to include a cab.. Can't be bothered 3d modelling the cab, I've tried and failed LOL
What do I need to set the 'Kind' to in the config for all types loco, carriage or freight wagon?

Other than that, I now can understand :) Thanks for the information :)

I think I kind of understand what I need to do!

So, in blender, what do I need to name a locomotive, carriage or freight wagon? Before exporting to FBX!

Can I also use helpers like back in Gmax? I have Davido's Endeavour/Xplorer 3d models in Gmax which was to help me learn awhile back, plus it has all the helpers setup for lighting, bogie locations, door animations and more.

I can see that I have to use .trainzmesh instead of .fbx in the config files for main body, bogies both for power car and saloons/coaches.. Also, is the wheels parented to the bogies?

As for any other configurations to include sounds, I wouldn't know! I know how to include a cab.. Can't be bothered 3d modelling the cab, I've tried and failed LOL
What do I need to set the 'Kind' to in the config for all types loco, carriage or freight wagon?

Other than that, I now can understand :) Thanks for the information :)
I thought somewhere you said you were using Blender 2.79b, that version does not export to fbx.

John

Turns out I just can't do it! Not even in the old Gmax Gamepack, Trainz Asset Creation Studio. The textures keeps appearing all Black and I have NO idea how to fix it.. I can certainly get the XPT models into Gmax without any issues even from Blender.

I just give up! If only there was stupid pictured tutorials and video tutorials on importing a GOD DAMN locomotive, carriage and freight wagons for idiots like me..

No one is going to spend weeks making a video of that nature because:

1. The experienced guys would rather be making their own stuff rather than teach others. It's a hobby for most.
2. The technology changes rapidly and by the time you get the tutorial out it would be out of date.

The problem you describe sounds like a recipe for pirating models of rival competitors. You say you have permission and that's fine, but others may not and publishing a "how to do" video or any tutorial on the subject isn't a good idea at all.

There are some videos by N3V and others on this website: https://contentcreation.trainzsimulator.com/ but I'm sure none of them are relevant to your project.

Back