Unusual Combination --- British Steam to the tune Aces High

PPS. Perhaps you should not turn up Loud. I think I just broke a window......:eek: Certainly frightened the cat. Meow:confused: .

A

er, that's not the music from 'Aces High' but rather the 'Lufwaffe March' composed by William Walton for the film 'The Battle of Britain' in 1969. I know 'cos my dad took me to see the film when it came out - I was 5! It's still one of my favourite films.

Bearing in mind how many British locos the Lufwaffe destroyed during WWII, this is an interesting choice of music! :hehe:

er, that's not the music from 'Aces High' but rather the 'Lufwaffe March' composed by William Walton for the film 'The Battle of Britain' in 1969. I know 'cos my dad took me to see the film when it came out - I was 5! It's still one of my favourite films.

Bearing in mind how many British locos the Lufwaffe destroyed during WWII, this is an interesting choice of music! :hehe:

Sorry,

The March is "Aces High" composed by Ron Goodwin and was used as the Theme for the German forces and German sequences. After the the release of the movie it became commonly, and unofficially, known as the "Luftwaffe March". It is played by many country's, and military services.

It has no official recognition as an "official" march of the German Air force/Air Arm (Luftwaffe). It is just a March.

The Walton composition was rejected for the final score and his only contribution in the movie, that was used, was for the Final sequence:- The 25th of September heavy fighting.

Alex

Last edited:
:eek: Yes, I'll have to concede you're right about Ron Goodwin (memory lapse - Walton scored for the film, but MGM went with the rather racier, and longer, material provided by Goodwin: "When it comes to the music depicting the Luftwaffe, Goodwin wins hands down with a splendidly idiomatic Teutonic march Aces High replete with oompah brass and glockenspiel. Walton's use of the Siegfried horn call from Wagner's Ring is clever but overused and strangely enough not terribly Germanic, the effect being unaccountably Italianate (the influence of Ischia perhaps): the number Gay Berlin might as well have been called "Racy Rome"!")

I know its not 'officially' the march of the Lufwaffe (after all, it does date from the late 60s!), but it does pop up in the film whenever German bombers are looming over the English channel or Herman Goering appears or whatever. So the association of the music stands. Hence my (slightly) raised eyebrows!

Having said that, it's my favourite piece of music from the film, so I'm not complaining! :hehe:

Paul (reaching for his Dinky Toy models of the Spitfire, Hurricane and Meschersmitt 109)

Back