Trigger Multiple Signals rule: could this be rigged up to prevent AI backups?

JonMyrlennBailey

On a figure 8 model mainline layout, with several track marks to direct the trains around in (hopefully) one direction, AI will come to a red signal and then stupidly back the train up instead of just holding for this red signal as a real-world train would or should. This is because a closed loop mainline (common in MODEL RR layouts) provides TWO possible paths to a given mainline track mark specified in a schedule of commands.

What if I were to get clever and FOOL AI?

What if BEHIND this red signal, I were to place an invisible signal (facing in the opposite direction) about 100 to 200 feet behind the forward visible signal on the line. This visible forward signal is the signal I want the train to hold for with no backups. Also, a trigger would be placed in between the visible signal and the invisible signal facing the opposite direction toward the rear of the train. The train would be in the range of the trigger so that reversing signal remains red as long as the train occupies it. The train, in theory would be pickled in between two red signals and couldn't move anywhere until the forward signal becomes clear.

The Trigger Multiple Signals rule would be rigged to create this sort of 'clamping' (anti-reverse) signal to force the train to stay put.

Would this work in theory?

I am going to try it out.

Last edited:
I have a couple of questions about your plan.

Firstly: Trigger Multiple Signals Rule?? - there is no such rule either built in to TANE or on the DLS that I can find. The closest is the Set Signal Extended Rule which can set only a single signal to a selected state.

Secondly: Why is the invisible signal, the one placed about 100 to 200 feet behind the visible signal, facing backwards? (Which I am assuming means towards the train)

Another, less confusing point, is that normal triggers are not directional in that they do not face a specific direction. You probably would need a Directional Trigger instead of the normal trigger.

There is a Driver Command that will force the AI to wait until a signal is clear. This is on the DLS under <kuid2:151055:100101:3> AI Wait until green signal but the command options it has are in Russian so some trial and error would be needed.

Trigger Multiple Signals (kuid2:116387:26:1) is available for downloading from the DLS however I'm not sure I can visualise exactly how you might employ it to prevent trains from backing up when held at a red signal. It is however effective when the triggers are correctly placed at preventing trains colliding when their paths cross as in a Figure 8 layout.

Two ideas come to mind; first using the Drive To/Via command in preference to the Navigate To/Via command as Drive means direct whereas Navigate imply's get me there. Second, have you thought of/tried routing trains via track markers just beyond the crossing or by placing ample track direction markers as already mentioned to discourage trains reversing up. Peter

Trigger Multiple Signals (kuid2:116387:26:1) is available for downloading from the DLS

Yes, thank you. I had set my CM filter to "Category = Rule" and that is why it did not show up.

EDIT: Now that I have downloaded and tested this rule, it can only be used to set a signal or signals to STOP so it could be used to set a signal BEHIND the train and facing back towards the train to STOP and prevent it from backing up but the AI will then be waiting endlessly for that signal to change. So this will not solve your original problem.

Last edited:
So far I have had perfect success using the BUILT-IN "Autodrive" command <Kuid2:192081:4:4>. Train always goes foward and only stops when it exhausts all TM's, or gets to a different command that does something different.

So far I have had perfect success using the BUILT-IN "Autodrive" command <Kuid2:192081:4:4>. Train always goes foward and only stops when it exhausts all TM's, or gets to a different command that does something different.

The Autodrive command is also a favourite of mine but under very specific conditions. Unlike Navigate/Drive commands, it will not switch junctions so all the junctions along its path have to be preset or set by triggers as it moves along.

Back